|Print List Price:||$14.95|
Save $9.96 (67%)
Soolie Beetch and the Dying Light Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 350 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
Soolie Beetch is a reluctant protagonist, dragged against her will at the age of thirteen into a world dripping with evil and destruction. She questions authority, especially if that authority holds power over her. The adults and the spirits don't like her rebellions, but Soolie's will is stronger than they realize.
Gypsie Raleigh's world-building is solid. Her fictional landscape feels full and real and spooky as hell. This novel is definitely a member of the horror genre, although it's anything but typical. It contains graphic violence; if that worries you, you're probably better off reading something else. Trouble is dangerous, hungry and messy in the world of Soolie Beetch.
I don't want to give away more. I'll leave that to the author, who has released a preview chapter on Amazon, where you can buy the Kindle version of this book (alas, no paper copies yet -- coming soon). I suspect that, like me, you will be drawn in by the taste.
I wish to avoid spoilers - so I'll say these bullet points:
- this book's heroine is complicated, fierce, and very self determined, and I felt her character had good development over the course of the novel and was changed and impacted by events in a realistic and fascinating way
- the character of Dog is an original take on similar characters from other stories - he represents a difficult challenge for the reader - how will you feel about him? what do you, the reader, want for him? His characterization and story asks these questions in a provocative way that challenged me and that I really enjoyed
- unexpected twists came in ways that felt grounded in reality
- a chapter that describes a chase and fight through a city and large group of tents (trying to avoid spoilers) is one of the clearest and best paced action sequences i've read in a fantasy novel. I knew where the characters were in space, I knew who was fighting whom, I felt like I was in the middle of the action. I've read a LOT OF fantasy novels and battle scenes are often confusing and hard for the author to properly draw the reader through - I was immediately impressed
Overall, I think this is an excellent debut and look forward to more!
As I read I was constantly reminded of the best of Stephen King, especially The Stand, The Shining and The Dark Tower series. Innocence corrupted, dark and light in a constant juxtaposition, and violence, though never egregious or unnecessary, always waiting in the wings.
Gypsie Raleigh had laid a wonderful foundation for an intense, engaging and thought provoking world to be developed through the rest of the series.
A very enjoyable read.
Most recent customer reviews
I found the pacing of the book to be slow through about the middle of the book, and then the pacing ramped up quickly and was a page turner through...Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age