Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 90 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 207 reviews
on April 29, 2016
I am an avid reader. And if I find a book that I love, I will read it over and over again. Since the development of e-readers and smartphones, I can carry all of my favorite books with me wherever I go. This is one of those books that I have read over and over again (I think I'm at 7 times).

Right off the bat you want to see Sophie succeed but because of the language barrier, she gets treated like she's a bit stupid .. which she is not. With the character of Alec, you can feel his grief and that grief has caused him to distance himself from his kids (whether on purpose or not). The kids have all had to grow up fast and you just want to hug them all and tell them that one day it will be better.

I don't want to spoil the actual story for you so I will let you enjoy it on your own.
on June 28, 2017
I've read this book a while ago but found myself pulling it up time and time again. Great read, full of spirutal food for thought.
on April 16, 2012
This was a sweet story about a woman coming to the United States and coming to work for a widower and his three children. The relationships grew very slowly and was believable. The love between Alec and Sophie took some time to grow and was very sweet. It was a sweet story. But...

The children were way too perfect, and they talked more like adults than children. They all behaved like adults. They were teenagers, and I just cannot believe there wasn't more trouble. They never did anything wrong, they never fought, they never made the wrong choices (with a few dramatic exceptions). I just didn't feel like any of them were real...Even Sophie's and Alec were just way too perfect...

So of all Lori Wick's books I've read thus far, this is my least favorite. But it was still an enjoyable read.
on December 3, 2014
I have read and re-read this book. It's one of my all time favorites. I have the book on my shelf and just purchased it for my kindle so I ALWAYS will have it. It's a beautiful story with many reminders of the beauty of humility, the depth and kindness of listening and the grace and beauty of loving hearts. I just love the story and have over and over again. Loved rereading it.
on January 13, 2016
This is one of Lori Wick's most endearing novels. I have read this book 3 times in paper form and was delighted to find it on Kindle. This is the journey of Sophie, a young Czechoslovakian woman. It is the story of her move to America before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reorganization of the Soviet Union. It is the story of how Sophie's beautiful Spirit filled heart heals the hurting hearts of widower Alec Riley and his three children.
on March 18, 2015
I love this story! At it's heart it is a very beautiful love story, BUT, it's also a story of acceptance. Sophie moves yo America from her native Czechoslovakia and encounters new situations and people.

The Riley family are in mourning over the loss of their mother. They are lost and in need of someone to help them. When Alex Riley 's sister suggests hiring Sophie as their new housekeeper, what follows is an amazing story if love, fellowship, and acceptance.

This is definitely one of Lori Wick's best books!
on April 23, 2017
I've lost track of the number of times I've read this book. It is a gem! Love, love, LOVE this love story!
on July 18, 2017
I chose this rating because this book is so good. You laugh at times and cry at times as you read it. The people in the book are so well portrayed that they come alive as you read. I read it at least once a year and never grow tired of the story. It is wonderful. I love it.
on December 16, 2016
A young immigrant's life as a dish washer in Chicago is dark and depressing so she moves to Wisconsin and a thrilling new life and a wonderful story. This ebook on my tablet was my second reading as I own a print copy, a gift from the author who married my son. Yes, I am biased but I really enjoy Lori's books.
on November 30, 2016
I loved this book! This is one I have read over and over again! Lori is a writer that brings her characters to life. I can equate with some of this as I am an immigrant from the UK. Sometimes language is a a barrier for other people, but I had other barriers to overcome. But we have a gracious God.