Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 5, 2010
I had been looking for a pair of Sorel boots for a while, something both fashionable, but extremely durable and cold weather tested. I live in one of the coldest climates and after buying these boots, I don't think I'll ever need another pair. The craftsmanship is evident from the moment you take them out box, and I have yet to step into the snow and feel even the slightest bit of cold. A very feminine way to stay warm for a very long time. I would definitely buy another pair again, but the construction is so solid, that I don't think I will ever need to.
on November 4, 2012
I live in Seattle and am a pedestrian commuter, so I finally decided to invest in a pair of expensive winter boots and with some research decided on these because I wanted something that was 'fashionable' enough to wear to work most days but still totally functional.

Most importantly - these boots need to be broken in! I'm glad I waited a month to write this review because the first week of wearing these was a nightmare. Like any leather boots they were stiff and rigid, uncomfortable, and impossible to get off and on. The more I wear them them the more and more comfortable they get, and the easier they are to get in and out of.

You have to wear tall/thick socks with these, I made the mistake of wearing ankle socks once and the inner lining is so coarse it chewed the backs of my ankles up till they were raw and bleeding.

But it's worth it! They're amazingly warm, and definitely waterproof, I got them so muddy that I had to spray them down with a garden hose while I was wearing them and my toes stayed dry! The inner lining is completely removable for washing/hang drying if you ever did get soaked enough for it to matter.

The bad: scratchy inner liners, the shoelace eyelets are made out of... shoelace, I'd definitely prefer metal eyelets, and the treatment on the leather wears quickly, turning the grey leather a softer grayish tan in a lot of spots and it will probably need to be re-waterproofed every year.

All in all I give them 4/5 and would still recommend them to a friend
on April 8, 2014
This is the first pair of shoes I purchased from Amazon. I love them! Of course I love Amazon Prime and their customer service! had been looking for a snow boot and these arrived in great shape. It doesn't snow a lot in Seattle where I am, so I end up wearing these daily cold weather boot if it's not raining too much since they can withstand some water as well. My Cates keep my feet and legs toasty, they're comfy, have a good tread and I really love the way they look and others must too, because people tell me all the time ;)

I'm 5'1" - they come just a little above my mid-calf, definitely not to the knee. I just measured the back of my heel to my mid-calf.. it is 11".

I did actually get to wear them for abt 7 hours in knee deep snow (Cle Elum, WA) with toe warmers. One pair of toe warmers was sufficient for an all day trip. I probably would've been complaining about my cold/numbing toes throughout the day without them. This trip is about a year and half after I've been wearing my boots as an everyday winter boot. I don't know if that made a difference. Perhaps I wore down the insulating material a bit.

On really cold days when the temperature gets close to 20, i can feel the cold from the pavement reaching into the boot now, but *none* of my boots can keep my feet "warm" from 20 degree temps. Aside from that, this boot is still doing great! Love my Cate the Greats :)
on December 31, 2012
I had been waiting to write this review, as I had been waiting for bad weather to ensue in my area. We were hit with a Nor'easter a couple of days ago, so here goes.

Fit: Five stars. I am a size seven to seven and a half. Although some people said I should get a size up, I decided to go seven anyway, and there is still room in there for thick socks. Eight would be way too big for me. When I first started to wear these, I felt a lot of pressure on my Metatarsal joints, but after a few wears, there is no discomfort.

Looks: Five stars, its a gorgeous, well made boot. I am the envy of the subway and the city, even if the calves of this boot are a bit bulky. I am 5'3, it hits just a little bit below my knees. Gaw-jus, tall, dark, snow boot of my dreams. Also, these boots are relatively lightweight.

Warmth: Five stars. It was below freezing last night (I forget how many degrees). I was cold all over EXCEPT from my knees to feet, hehe.

Waterproof: Five Stars. I trudged to work in DEEP snow yesterday, and these boots are amazing. The tongue is sown on the inside (there is a liner) and not a drop made it in.

So why the three stars? Well, the boots do not have good traction. It is just okay. I have had boots before that made me feel like I could kick icy sidewalk behind but this boot does not really give me that confidence. Its better than having a shoe with no traction (we have all been there) but there is better out there. Also, once I went inside a restaurant with tile floors (my shoes' bottoms were wet from the snowy condition outside) I felt like I had stepped onto an ice skating ring -- I had to take tiny halting steps to avoid falling on my face, because the boots became VERY slippery.

Therefore, although this boot is beautiful, and definitely performs very well in some areas, it is a bit lacking given its price.I wish I could give three and a half stars as I do really like most of its features.
on November 30, 2012
So far, these boots are amazing. After wearing Uggs for about 6 years and have my feet get soaked from all the snow we get in Rochester, NY (11th highest annual snowfall in the country!), I got tired and decided it was time for some real boots. I ordered the pewter/curry color. I'm usually at 7.5 or 8, but after reading reviews, I decided to size down to a 7. I was really worried they'd be too small, but they actually fit quite comfortably, even with thick wool socks. The rubber part in the toe-bed is a little tight, but it doesn't cut off circulation, and it actually functions to keep my foot from sliding around in the boot too much because like many previous reviewers said, the ankle area is HUGE. Some people have said that this leads to some rubbing around their Achilles heel, but I suspect this is because the boots are a little big on them. Since I sized down, my foot doesn't slide around much (I think due to the aforementioned tightness around the toe area), so I haven't experienced any rubbing so far. Also, I have very long legs (roughly equivalent to someone who's 6 feet tall), and these come up to about half a foot under my knee, which looks nice. If you have short legs, these boots should still fit, though they may look a little tall and clunky.

There hasn't been much snowfall yet, so I don't know how they'll function in deep snow, but they seem to be constructed very well. I was a little concerned about snow getting in through the detached tongue, but the way the boots are made, I don't anticipate this being too big a problem unless I'm really rolling around in snow for a while for some reason. They're also quite warm. It's been near-freezing for the last few weeks, and I was so excited about wearing these I pulled them out early. At this point, they're almost too warm, but I like the nice toasty feeling. I'm excited to see how they do into February when there's usually a few feet of snow on the ground. Also, several people have complained that the rubber sole is too thin. It is true. I can feel cracks in the sidewalk when I walk, but this is a tradeoff for how lightweight they are compared to most other heavy-duty winter boots. So I guess that's just up to your preference. As an added bonus, they look even better in person. I've gotten many compliments on them so far!
on January 18, 2012
I bought these boots for the big winter snow storm in Seattle. I paid for 2 day shipping but never thought they would be delivered on time because of the snowstorm. They came a day early, in advance of the storm, so I could use them in the snow! I have only taken them out for a brief period with my dog this morning so I cannot attest to long term warmth yet but I wanted to give Amazon a cheer for quick shipment!
About the fit- I am a true 7.5, I ordered down per other reviewers suggestion and they fit great. I cant wear thick socks but thin tall socks work well with this boot since its lined. The heel of the boot does slide along the back of your ankle but I am guessing it wont be much of a comfort issue unless I try to wear really thick socks which would rub some. I have returned three other pairs of boots from various brands b/c they were too loose in the ankle (did not cinch in enough) but these really pull tight and fit well from ankle to calf. They are lighter than other boots I have tried and easy to walk in. Very comfortable.
on November 5, 2011
This boot is very lightweight yet has a heavy-duty feel to it - almost like a work boot. It appears well made, with a vulcanized rubber sole that is merged with the bottom section of the shoe, leaving no room for water entry points. The leather top is oiled (a plus). The fur trim creates a good air seal (keeping the warm air from escaping). I like the fact that the boot does not need to be done/undone once it has been adjusted. It does not feel tight anywhere. Another reviewer mentioned that the rubber edge has rubbed the skin. I did not have this issue with this boot - but I wear winter socks with it.

I wear a 10 and it fit true to size, with enough room for thick socks. I initially ordered 11 but changed the order and do not regret it.
The look is cute, although the rubberized front is a bit flat and wide to my taste. I guess it has a modern "girly" look which would work well with short skirts and tights to showcase the leg. That is, if you don't care about being very warm.

Very comfortable. It is warm (so far). I did not get to test the boot in real winter yet - I may add to my comment once I do.

I am quite satisfied with my purchase and would recommend it to others.

Update: I have now tested these boots in some real Canadian winter. They hold the temperature well (with winter socks) until about -30'C (-22'F), but I would not remain outside for more than 2 hours.

I still LOVE the fact that the boots do not have to be adjusted every time, and go on and off easy. If you've ever had to tie/untie winter boots while wearing full winter gear, you probably know what I mean.
on January 21, 2011
I did a lot of research before settling on these boots - I live in Switzerland and wanted to finally have warm feet every winter! These boots look great and are very stylish for big winter boots. They are also well made and of very good quality. BUT - So far I have worn them in temperatures only a couple of degrees below freezing and....my toes get cold!!!
I can't comment on the sizing - I live in Switzerland and tried on the Joan of Arctic (C the G not available round here) boots locally to check what the right size would be. The ones I tried on in the shop said on the label US size 11, Euro size 42, so I went ahead and ordered US 11. However, when my boots arrived, in the label it says US 11 Euro 44!! So I now have boots 2 sizes too big and have to wear a lot of thick socks - anyone else ordering from Europe beware!! The other thing about the size is that the cut is very wide. Despite all of this they are quite comfortable. I do however have another complaint, which is that the soles are very thin so you can feel the ground through them, and the grips are not very good.
Might go for the UGGs next time....
on July 9, 2013
Love these. I was debating this style vs. the joan of arctic... I ordered both and this is the style that is soo sooo flaterring and cute and fun and feminine too. You'll feel pulled together and super cute with these waterproof, snowproof boots. I much prefer this style to the Joan of Arctic. This is the style Kate Hudson wore to Sundance while Liv Tyler and Heidi Klum have been spotted wearing the Joan of Arctic. For me- at 5'3 and 165lbs with an hourglass figure- and almost 40 years old- these boots look fabulous! I wear a size 8 in heels and a 7.5 in Sperrys. I ordered the 8 in the boots- they fit perfectly. I love the riding boot look of these. Very cute and you can wear cute boot socks of different colors with them. This grey is perfecto because it is neutral and will go with your winter coat no matter what color it is. The black looked a bit harsh and besides - who wears black boots in the snow? Not a Bond girl! lol. Cate the Great is great!
on April 23, 2014
One of my most favorite purchases, these boots are absolutely fabulous. Worth every dollar I spent (I think I paid over $200). I get tons of compliments on them because they look amazing and they do an awesome job out in the snow (and rain too). I even ride horses in these durable boots. I was concerned about the lacing, because they do seem to put the lace-loops under some strain, but after owning these for over a year and wearing them as my daily shoes in the cooler weather, I haven't had any problems. Love these. Almost wish I had sized up so I could wear thicker socks, but they fit really well. I normally wear an 8.5ish, and ordered a 8m and they are perfect. Cannot say enough good things, these are my favorite boots, and I always recommend them when people ask me about them.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question