Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sotah (Readers Guide Editions)
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

VINE VOICEon May 28, 2003
This novel is a great page-turner! I admire Ms. Ragen's ability to build both atmosphere & characters at the same time. While the outside world (including jews of other streams of Judaism) usually views the women of the Haredi world with either pity or contempt, the portrait of the women here is sensitively rendered. The distance of new arranged marriages is definitely there, along with how these marriage partners adjust and grow during different phases of their marriage. Excellent novel, hope it stays in print for awhile. Toda rabah, Naomi!!!
on February 3, 2002
I read this book a long time ago but I remember I couldn't put it down. Ragen takes you to many different places. She very effectively points out the consequences of being an orthodox Jew. I'm Jewish and I found this book terribly enlightening. I'm so glad to see her books are back in print. I've recommended her book to many people but they were unable to get it. She is a great writer.
on November 9, 1997
I just finished Sotah and was just mesmerized. I am not a reader yet I couldn't put the book down. As a Jewish woman who has become somewhat connected to the Orthodox community in America the story provided remarkable insights into the Haredi community in Israel. The book touched me so deeply - stirring thoughts of what it means to be a "good Jew" and how Torah values can become so distorted by a small number of people. My emotions were at full peak - especially the last third of the book - I cried so profusely the last 100 pages I had to get up to wash my face so I could see the words on the page. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
on September 2, 1999
I bought this phantastic book at a book store in the opera tower in Tel Aviv, Israel.. I started reading right away and have to say, after ending it: it's worth every shekel; it's one of those books/stories you wish never to end. It gives the reader a authentical view (as I imagine) of the life of religious Jews in Israel.... I loved it and HAVE to recommend it to everyone!!
on April 26, 1999
This book is one of the most touching stories I have ever read. The heroin Dina although not a complex person was truly believable. This is a classic story of redemption told like a modern parable. I have now lent this book to so many people that my copy is worn out and I always have trouble getting it back. Personaly I think the publisher did not do a great job of marketing it or it would have been on the best sellers list for over a year which is the average time it takes for me to get it away from whomever I have lent it to. I am now desperatly trying to find a hard copy for myself. It will not be lent out by the way.
on November 11, 2003
This was Naomi Ragen's first book to be published in Israel, and it had made a huge impact. It exposed many secular Israelis to the inner workings of the Orthodox sect of the population and the actual people that chose that way of life.
The story itself might seem a little to predictable, but the twists and turns (even at their least surprising) highlight the main motive of the book, and helps its core message clearer.
on September 28, 2006
The title intrigued me. Sotah is an incredibly difficult topic in Orthodox Judaism and I was interested in what this book had to say about it. I shouldn't have bothered. The book joins a long list of slanderous works which present a completely false picture of Jewish life. It is clearly written by someone who not only hasn't the foggiest clue about the subject but who uses her considerable writing and storytelling skills to push the usual agenda: secularism is liberating, orthodoxy is stifling. The loaded language of the editorial reviews says it all.

I wouldn't have bothered writing this review except for one fabrication that I find truly horrific and which was mentioned by several of the reviewers. There is no such thing as a "modesty patrol" or vigilante "morals police" in the Jewish community and violence, threatened or otherwise especially against a woman, would evoke nothing but condemnation. It is also relevant that for various religious and religious-legal reasons there is no such thing as a Sotah in the modern world so the title is little more than a provocation.

If you like well written, emotional, women's stories (I do not mean that in any derisive way) this book fits the bill. But please, don't think that you can learn something meaningful about the topic it purports to cover.
77 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 1998
Although this was mostly Dinah's story, it's easy to learn about the lives and choices (at least where a husband is concerned) of orthodox girls from all three sisters - Devorah, who has to marry a very unatractive (physically) man, and then learns how good he really his, Dinah, how follows the rules all the way, even when she has done no wrong, and knows it but follows anyhow, and Leah, who decides to take her fate into her own hands and succeeds. I think that the best lesson dinah, her family and us learn from this book is not following blindly, but checking things by ourselves before "jusmping in", because sometimes the majority can err, too!
on December 11, 2006
I found this book to be exhilarating, fascinating and enlightening as well as moving and compelling. Though somewhat predictable and stereotypical, I found myself caught up in the plight of the characters and the injustice of the protagonist's life. I appreciated the opportunity to become enmeshed in the world of the Hasidim and Israeli life. And it is very much like becoming a temporary member of their world. One finds oneself thinking all sorts of things whilst reading the book such as: what would a life feel like that was completely structured, no questions asked, no decisions to be made, everything fully dpre-determined? And how does such a life compare with the complexities, moral dilemmas and confusions in the lives of those of us who pride ourselves and freedom of expression and decision? In this novel, the characters lead a life of structure and predestination. And I must admit, there were moments in which I felt a sense of envy at its relative ease. Overall, of course, one realizes that the freedoms forfeited are best left in tact. I found some of the characters flat and lifeless and way too 'all good guy" or "all bad guy". In that way the book was too simplistic. But overall I loved the plot and the fun of being in a new world, if even for a short while.
on October 12, 1998
"Sotah" is one of the best novels I have ever read. It showed how different life is for the haradi men and women in Israel and the Jews in America. The difference in their behavior towards spouses, parents, children, the environment, how in the haradi world is like a protected shell, etc. It was a very strong book. The story was so sad how Dina was proclaimed a Sotah, which was a lie. She lost her husband, child, family and self-respect. This is a novel that is definatly worth reading. There are many things to learn from it.