Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Soul of Chris Thomas King: The Roots
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on December 10, 2009
This is a tough CD to review because, on one hand, the music on this disc is really quite good, mostly 5-star material. On the other hand, it is such a flawed collection that I just can't bring myself to give it five stars.

Here's the problem: the attraction of this album is that it contains several alternate versions of his songs, and exclusive tracks that collectors like myself are going to want to own. However, it also features a lot of songs that are identical to the album versions, which I already own on the original albums. These songs are: "Watermelon Man," "Trouble Will Soon Be Over," and "Canned Heat Blues" from his Legend of Tommy Johnson album, and "Death Letter Blues," "Dark Cloud," "Sinking Feeling," and "Raining Angels" from the Red Mud album. Moreover, the last few songs, i.e., "Midnight Special," "Martha's Blues," "Cotton Fields," and "CC Rider" all seem to be cut off, as they fade out after around a minute, just as the song is getting going. Martha's Blues is only 24 seconds long! These tracks are frustrating and unnecessary in their truncated versions.

So since I already own the Red Mud and Tommy Johnson albums, and the last four songs are too short to be worthwhile, that only leaves 8 tracks out of 19 that held any interest for me. I kind of resent having to buy the whole album for those tracks, but I did anyway. Damn you, Chris Thomas King!

In conclusion, this might be a good introductory CD if you're new to the artist -- all those recycled songs ARE good tunes -- but if you own the original albums this CD is just kind of frustrating.
on March 29, 2007
I have liked everything Chris Thomas has put out, this may be my favorite Though. I especially like old style blues and Chris can be among the best. He is a very talented individual.
on June 15, 2004
I just finished listening to this cd. I loved it! Chris Thomas King can achieve a beutiful sound. There are some great, old blues songs from Robert Johnson and Lead Belly, and then there are some new, unique songs. It's a balanced mix. This CD would be a terrific addition to any music lover's collection. Whether you've loved blues for a long time, or you're new to the scene, get this CD!
on February 27, 2009
This is his best disc in my op. I really like his blues covers, but am not so fond of his original compositions. I find his voice and his guitar playing quite appealing though. All in all, a good intro to some good old school blues
on June 3, 2013
i love almost everything chris thomas king has done - "the roots" is a great album that reflects king's delta-blues inspiration. grimy and soulful, deep, dark, and haunting.
on April 28, 2013
Have come to Mr King indirectly am so glad i did cannot express sentiments. Genuinely Gifted musician! Am hunting for more of His work!
on November 6, 2015
Got what I wanted, it was in good shape, and at a good proce. What more could I ask for?
on December 22, 2014