- Brand Name: Eton
- Model Number: NSP400B
- Item Display Weight: 3.5 pounds
- Color: Black
Etón Soulra Solar Powered Sound System for iPod and iPhone (Black)
- IPX-4 Splash Proof: Protected against spraying water from all angles at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 minutes
- Four-hours of audio playback at mid-volume and continuous charging of iPod and iPhone in battery mode
- Rechargeable Battery: Two cell lithium ion 2000mAh, 7.4V; 4-hour recharge time via AC; 10-hour recharge time in direct sunlight;
- Two full-range speaker drivers with a total output of 11W
- Solar powered charging dock, compatible with iPod and iPhone; Audio line input for connecting iPod shuffle, MP3 players, etc.
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Eton SOULRA Solar Powered Sound System for iPod and iPhone
The Soulra's space-saving design makes it easy to pack with you wherever you go
Sound by the Sun
|Solar Power |
Generate energy to power the Soulra by simply setting it under the sun. No need to hassle with batteries or power cords. Where the sun is, you'll have your music too.
Door opens to reveal solar panels.
|Audio Line Input |
Simply plug any iPod or MP3 player into the Soulra and take your music with you wherever you go.
|IPX-4 Splash Proof |
The Soulra will endure water splashing from all directions. Meaning you can enjoy your tunes at the pool, fishing on the river, surfing at the beach, and during many more activities.
What's in the BoxSoulra Speaker System, Remote Control, Protective Cover for iPod, AC Adapter
Top Customer Reviews
A nice undocumented surprise was to learn that you're not limited to only playing the music that's loaded on your iPhone or iPod Touch. If you use an IPhone or iPod Touch with a 3G or 802.11 connection you can stream audio from the internet through the iPhone or iPod through the Soulra speakers. It takes a little trickery to get it to work, but it works just fine.
Step one - pause music playback. If you have streaming playing before you snap it into the Soulra it will play the stream for a second or two and then switch to iPod content.
Step two - press pause to stop the music.
Step three - press play on the iPhone or iPod Touch screen and voila, the internet stream plays through the Soulra. I've tried Pandora, the NPR application, Rhapsody, and This American Life and they all worked flawlessly.
I"ve not tested the solar panel or the "splashability" yet, but I'm certain these features won't disappoint. I can't wait to take this out on the boat!
1. Our unit (once charged) actually performed better than advertised as it lasted for more than 8 hours at 3/4 volume with the Bass Boost on over the course of 3 or 4 days. I must also add that these WERE sunny days and the solar panel was exposed, allowing it to charge while playing during the daylight hours. It was able to play most of the days and into each night, never showing any signs of slowing down.
2. Sound Quality is good. NOTE: If your looking for exceptionally high-end audio quality this may not be for you. I will say that personally, I DO have a certain level of expectation with regard to the audio performance of these type of products (Especially for the $200 price tag). Let me say that I was not disappointed. While it may not blow away an uber-audio enthusiast-type, it was more than adequate for its intended purposes and plays at reasonably high volumes and will decent sound quality.
3. The construction of the unit is great. Its definitely built to last with a tough exterior shell which appears to be able to take some abuse. It's got a little weight to it too.
4. Unit comes with an Auxillary input on the back for additional device connection. Very convenient.
5. I also found that the unit does not always have to be in direct sunlight to maintain its charging status.Read more ›
I had mine for a total of 18 days which gave me plenty of time to really test it out. It just did not do it for me. Here is what I found.
* Very nice looking and durable. Smooth black finish all around
* Splash proof with cover that protects your iPod
* Light weight with an easy to carry handle
* Remote control although the distance was only about 2-3 feet for me
* I felt the sound was very one dimensional and did not provide a nice wide angle or much of a stereo separation. For $199.99 this should sound much better than what it does currently.
* I got about 3 1/2 hours of play time on a full charge via AC, about 1/2 hour shy of what is claimed
* If this provided 4 hours of power it would be much better if it recharged in the same amount of time for continuous playback using solar. It needs 10 hours in direct sunlight to charge again
* Lack of low end. But to be honest I was not expecting much. It does have a bass boost but will distort and higher volumes.
* iPod gets hot and will not function if too hot. Now obviously you should not have any electronics in direct sunlight or things like this may happen. But this is designed to be in direct sunlight and is based on using an iPod. What good is it if you have the chance of your iPod overheating?
We had a party in the park for about 2 1/2 hours.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
ipod needs a little more protection than just a press fit piece of plastic otherwise nicePublished 19 months ago by sean p. cahill
Love this unit, was in the desert for for a weekend and it was playing music for 48 hours straight.
This design is very clunky for taking it with you, but it rocks for... Read more
Been so.id since I bought it. Take it camping were there is no electricity, but a lot of sun. I would buy an adapter for the iPod/phone to plug it in the back because it can get... Read morePublished 23 months ago by Gaspar Rafael Nunez
We took this to the beach. It was perfect. I was excited to finally have something that I could use every day and not spend tons of money on batteries! Read morePublished 23 months ago by Momtothebeasties