Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8 reviews
on August 9, 2012
Souls in Full Sail deals with handling growing older in our society where aging citizens aren't always valued. The author tells of her own experiences and those of her family and friends when they pass the threshold into the later years. I found it very helpful in dealing with the loss of dear family members and friends who are irreplaceable. We all have to leave this earth, our time is brief, but looking forward to what's ahead can soften the changes we all experience. A worthwhile read in the fullest sense. Anna M. Seidler
on July 28, 2012
Ours is a culture that honors youth and tends to overlook the elderly. Much of the advice being handed out to baby-boomers as they grow older is about how to avoid the process, not how to embrace it. Griffin's reflections, triggered by watching her mother age and beginning that process herself, don't sugar coat the difficult sides of getting older, but they do offer a way forward that looks to God and suggest that all of us, no matter our ages, can still grow deeper in Him. Highly recommended, this is a book to savor and reread.
on November 18, 2013
I personally found this book a little disappointing; I'd hoped for something with more substance. This book impressed me as one of those "fluffy spirituality" sorts, with some warm personal sharing by the author, but lightweight on spiritual depth, and little biblical or theological grounding. Emilie Griffin is a skilled writer, and shares something of her own life and experience in a warm, friendly way. I would have appreciated a deeper look into the "later years," including confronting more of the dark aspects of our human experience--but that's just me; the book may well speak to others who have a different set of expectations.
on March 22, 2011
Emilie Griffin, a gifted spiritual director, lets us in on her own navigation of the later years of life. We discover how she has been sustained by memories of loved ones who have gone ahead into death with grace and hope. Along the way we hear wisdom from the ages and are encouraged to face the difficulties and challenges of growing old and having to give up our well-practiced ways of organizing life. Ms. Griffin does not offer cheap grace, thank God, and we are the richer for it. William A. Barry, S.J.
on May 3, 2013
I am a social worker in a retirement community and recently started a Spiritual Growth group. I chose this book as the first title to discuss together.
We enjoyed the author's rich family life and traditions from the New Orleans area. However, some members if the group thought the book was a little too autobiographical at times.
on January 9, 2013
This book is for someone in their later years. I am 62 and felt it was a little depressing. Sorry