Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 16, 2016
This is a very fun album. A co-worker of mine went to their concert at a local outdoor garden and really enjoyed them. He said they were super positive, family-friendly, upbeat music with an island vibe. At the show he kept pulling tons of kids up on stage to dance and sing the choruses.

I thought I would check them out. He was right. We happened to be going to a local beach (lake-beach) here in Utah so I put in on in the car as we drove to the lake. The kids enjoyed the music. Lots of fun for the family.
on October 1, 2010
First I like to say that my wife and I have over 1,000 albums from various genres, but Michael Franti has a special place in our hearts. He gives every bit of himself into his music and truly cares about people. Don't you want to be listening to someone who is trying to change the world and does it by living by example? Who inspires you to do the same? How do I know this? Because I just saw him in concert here in Austin, TX last Wednesday.

He first held a contest, giving free two tickets away, and letting the women who won introduce him and the band. Then he took a tired over worked crowd and got them jumping. He gave everyone of his band a place in the spotlight. As his love spread like wildfire throughout the crowd, he took a three year old little boy named Milo on stage. Milo and Michael danced and sang. He called out to the grandmothers in the balcony,he played his guitar throughout the crowd, he paid a special notice to the people in the back and got on a platform and played in front of them, he got a family on stage and got dad shaking, he sang from his heart, and ended the night with a choir of kids dancing and singing on stage. I've never seen someone who gave so much of himself to lighten the hearts and minds of people. I could only put it on par as what a Bob Marley show would be like. This man is a prophet of love and light that has found the thread that connects us all and doesn't care about money, but people. On that note about the album:

The Sound of Sunshine is an ode to the thankfulness of being alive and being thankful for those life's treasures, those individuals around you. He explained at the show that he almost died on tour from a infection from a ruptured appendix. It brought him to his knees in humility and thankfulness for his life and how short it really is...
The Sound of Sunshine is an story of inspiration that shines into the darkness of this world, with a hope of something greater than lives within us all.....if we can only dream, believe, try, work, and become....

I am a father of 3 and when this world brings me down...this album give me the encouragement to pick myself up to finish my degree and remember how short this all is...what am I giving to others? What am I leaving behind?
What do I want people to remember me as...

But don't take my word for it....experience it for yourself!

Don't give up on yourself or those around you...
22 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2010
As you can hear Michael Franti and Spearhead keep evolving as seen in this latest release. The music and lyrics are personal (as always) and you can feel that they're at a great place in their lives. Not as political as in other releases but this is almost a political statement in itself as America is being torn apart by extremism. This is a beautiful album, if I had a complaint it would be that it is to short at 43 minutes. Some of the previous reviews give low ratings due to the evolution of the band, this argument doesn't hold water if you understand that it's a story of life, love and compassion. This is a must own album for the hardcore or casual Spearhead fans.
on May 20, 2017
This is such an uplifting CDl;;;
on November 17, 2013
A friend sent me a clip from this album and I had to immediately buy it. Stays in my car as my "must go to happy songs" because I love Michael's take on life. It's a feel good album with songs that you play over and over, loving the sound of sunshine.
VINE VOICEon November 30, 2011
The Sound of Sunshine is a jovial, upbeat, dance hall/reggae-influenced and completely soulful, and melodious life walk set to song, and heartfelt prose. Though, some have expressed their (open) disappointment in this edition to the Michael Franti & Spearhead repertoire, I think that their evolution toward sunshine, (continued) consciousness and the celebration of life are well-showcased here. I particularly enjoy "The Sound of Sunshine," "Shake It," and "Gloria." Franti is a beautiful guitarist, possesses a lovely, raspy voice and blends well with the other musicians featured on the album. The songs infuse the listener with hope and strength - so needed during these difficult times. This brand of sunshine will definitely bring you a smile and maybe even a glow....
on September 2, 2017
Only album that makes me dance every time I play it
on January 19, 2017
Got this for my daughters. They like it. It has been played over and over. I am starting to like some of it. Different to what I an interested in but I appreciate Michael doing his thing his way
on March 1, 2013
Listening to this album makes me want to frolic into the nearest supermarket or other such commercial center and hug anyone and anything that comes within five feet of myself whilst whistling the jovial melody of "Sound of Sunshine" or "Hey Hey Hey" and snapping my fingers and all the while giving money to poor people, encouraging people whom I meet to live their dreams, and telling children that nothing cannot be accomplished.
on July 27, 2016