YED MagazinestoInspire Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Valentines Day STEM Shop Popular Services Gleason Gleason Gleason  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis La La Land Shop Now NYNN
(Would you like to see this page in Spanish? Click here.)
(What are Customer Discussions?)
Customer Discussions > Ready Player One forum

Sounds like a cool book...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2011 12:59:22 PM PDT
D. Walls says:
but $11.99 for the Kindle version? Gonna have to pass.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 11:37:59 AM PDT
It is SO WORTH twelve bucks. How much did you spend the last time you saw a really great movie at the theater? At least $8 for the ticket and more than $12 if you also got a drink or snack... And that was only two hours of fun! Ready Player One will suck you in and rock your world. The plot is imaginative and well-spun, the characters are likeable and sympathetic, the action is tight and exciting, you'll laugh your ass off, and if you have any connection whatsoever to video games or 80s nostalgia you are going to lose your mind from all of the nods to the culture of your youth.

For the small risk of $12, you have the opportunity to enjoy the best book you'll read this year.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 11:39:59 AM PDT
I forgot to mention, this book will also get you thinking. It's a hard and fascinating extrapolation of a future that's not so terribly unlikely, including technology that's right around the corner. As dismal as the real-world future is in Ready Player One, the alternate reality stuff will have you wishing you could fast-forward to 2044.

Posted on Sep 12, 2011 4:49:56 AM PDT
J. Brandt says:
I really enjoyed this book. It's a future that is dismal due to a world economy that has crashed and burned and people are living in a "computer fantasy world" just to escape the dismal REAL world. The 1980s references to music, culture and video games brought back vivid memories and really added a great deal to me as I read the book. The characters, the plot and the pace of the book were excellent.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 10:24:42 PM PDT
Kathy W says:
I'm glad I borrowed it from the library. It was fun, it was quick, but it wasn't worth buying. The characters and world are one-dimensional and inconsistent. The occasional existential nihilism was annoying. The only thing that truly surprised me was the lack of surprises. I kept thinking, "Well, he won't do THAT because it's too predictable." And I was wrong every time. I would consider future novels from this author, but I won't be reading this again.

Posted on May 29, 2012 8:13:52 AM PDT
It is a VERY cool book indeed. Page turning popcorn sci-fi fun, the Star Wars of cyberpunk style writing. Less dry and hardcore science, more quest and blockbustery fun.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Ready Player One forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Aug 15, 2011
Latest post:  May 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about
Ready Player One
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (Hardcover - August 16, 2011)
4.6 out of 5 stars (11,655)