Customer Reviews: Sourcework: Academic Writing from Sources, 2nd Edition
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 12, 2014
I have used this for an advanced community college ESOL class that focuses on writing a research paper. The first half the book has helpful exercises that require students to evaluate and revise thesis statements, evidence to support points, and so on. Unfortunately these exercises are tied to the readings in the second part of the book, which are not especially well chosen or well-written.

The main reason I no longer use the book is that it teachers APA format while the the college-transfer English class that my students are preparing to take will require them to use MLA.
on May 5, 2014
I have been using this book in my Grade 12 ESL English class and for my regular Grade 12 English class at our local college for five years now. It is an amazing step-by-step guide to writing a research/term paper.

The book has two sections:

Part One leads students through each stage by teaching the skill, practicing the skill in a variety of interesting exercises, and taking that step in their own paper (the final product of the text/course). The final chapter in Part One is an overview to guide students through future papers.

Part Two: The authors have gathered articles for three general themes (Risk for Change, Globalization, and New Technology). They introduce the theme via activities and develop students' depth of thinking through the articles. Usually academic journal articles are very difficult for students to read. These are more readable, very intriguing and a good start to doing research. Finally, a list of research questions based on the articles are presented. Most of my students choose to create their own research questions based on the theme we study and add research from sources outside the book. I find the themes lend themselves to a very broad range of specific topics.

Special features:

Excellent explanation and practice of paraphrasing and paraphrasing challenges.
Clear and user-friendly plans for integrating research into the student's own original ideas about the topic.
Grammatically explicit examples of how to include evidence into writing.
Excellent process to make research painless and efficient.

All of my students tell me that they won't give this book away until they have finished college/university. They love how clear each step is and what a super paper they are able to write.

As a teacher, I keep finding more and more ways to use the book even more efficiently. I change the theme I teach every term so that it is fresh for me and keeps students from using previous students' work in any way. This is a write-in workbook, so in our college only new books are allowed.

Tip: Have students put flags on each chapter and on the theme you use for ease of understanding how the whole process fits together.
on May 23, 2013
I used this book for my English class, and I must say, the lessons you learn from this book can be used beyond the classroom. I've been able to write research papers using this book as a guide and reference. One of the best investments in my undergraduate career.
on September 7, 2016
Okay book for what it is, but some of the sample articles in the second part are quite out of date. Yes, there's some relevance, but students could probably pull up equivalent articles from Google and be more current. Additionally, many of the sample articles aren't as scholarly as they could be--Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and other periodicals aren't going to get students ready for the real world.

The worst part is the price. Nat Geo/Cengage should be ashamed of themselves.
on November 16, 2011
This book is meant for college level beginners or ESL. It has 2 sections: a guide to research writing and a collection of essays to be used as research sources.

It teaches APA style. So, you wouldn't expect the first essay in the book to be in MLA style, would you? Well, it is in MLA. Students find this quite confusing.

The books format for a rough outline begins with a research question; the next item is the essay focus. I bet you think that essay focus means a rudimentary thesis, or at least what the essay will focus on. No, in this book, essay focus means essay category: cause & effect, argument, etc.

The content order is often puzzling, and the flipping back & forth between section one and two can be maddening.

There's more to add , but I think I'll stop here. Suffice to say, I'm looking for a replacement text for next year.
on June 27, 2013
It is a useful tool to know how to use sources and avoid plagiarism. Writing is essential and sometimes difficult for non native speakers.
on March 23, 2010
good book for starting on writting an essay, good pointer in direction in how organice ideas and to outline everything, not so good for reference on APA,
on September 21, 2013
I Received the book LATE!
There was no TRACKING. Then on top of it all the BOOK pages started to fall out the second day i had the book that is CRAZY for 33 dollars the book shouldn't be falling apart.
on January 26, 2016
The condition of the book is too bad for the price, not accurate with the description.
on December 19, 2014
I didn't even use it, but still it was good. But it took me sooooo long to get it.