Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 10, 2016
Great book on whats its like to work a double shift as a cook, especially the after work part where he talks about going to the bodega to get a 40 and the clerk asks "no sandwich, no ice cream tonight?" Which is was pretty accurate of what a lot cooks crave after a 12+ hour shift of fancy food.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on March 30, 2017
Well written, detailed look at the BOH. Better than anything you'll see on television...Gibney paints a clear picture of the sights, sounds and smells as he takes you through his day. All the ups and downs and thoughtful insights of an experienced sous chef in the kitchen and out. A wonderful look at the people as individuals and as a team, and the personalities of those who often amaze us with their talents and hard work.
on October 17, 2017
I found this a little too technical for me to completely enjoy. Although I appreciate it, perhaps it would have been more interesting to explain a little more. The whole one-day-in-the-life was refreshing and eye-opening to the perils of being a cook in the line. And that is the best part of this book I would say. It got me interested but was not what I was expecting
on March 28, 2017
I enjoyed reading this account of a 24 hour period in a restaurant kitchen. It would have been easier to read if the technical terms were explained. I wish I could have touched the word and had a definition appear.

I enjoy cooking, but wouldn't make it in a professional kitchen. The pace alone would kill it for me.
on March 6, 2017
I really like TV cooking competition shows and it was very interesting to read this "behind the scenes" view of what happens in a real kitchen. I could never work in food services - that's brutal, hard, work; but I never knew how military the kitchen and levels of workers are. Thanks for all you folks do!
on June 3, 2014
This book goes by very quickly--since it only covers 24 hrs on the line and the "chef" is busy for most of that time. You are caught up in the pace of the kitchen and his life.
I enjoyed it, read it quickly as an e-book, and was left about as wrung out as the narrator when the book is over.
The various other kitchen people were personalized fairly well given the limited time covered.
I know I would never have the discipline or strength or talent to execute performance on such a quality level--day in and day out. It is not inflated to say the effort and intensity highlighted in the arena of the restaurant's kitchen resembles a top-notch surgeon or maybe a fire house if you have read books in that vein.

Eye-opening--- and makes you feel the difference in the last meal you ate at local restaurant and one of this level.
7 helpful votes
8 helpful votes
on February 24, 2017
A good read for anyone who wants an inside look of the real day to day workings of a good restaurant and the people who toil behind the scenes. This is the first cooking book that puts you behind the grill. If you are thinking about becoming a chef or working in the food industry, this is a must read. Kudos for giving us a good picture of what it takes to create a fine dining experience. Thanks for introducing readers to the folks who toil behind the scenes to provide quality meals. Glad to have a better understanding of the passion it takes to be a true professional chef.
on September 18, 2017
This book is a romp through a day of work at a high-quality restaurant. I'm not sure if it's accurate, but the writing was great, sprinkled with excellent descriptive language in a second-person approach that was a lot of fun to read. The scattered references to philosophy and literature, the occasional breaking into Spanish, the frantic repetition of tasks, the pursuit of soigné, overcoming obstacles, and the frustration of failure all combine to make a ripping good read which felt like a good insight into the life of an aspiring chef.

I also greatly appreciated the glossary of cuisine terms.
on June 12, 2017
I've always wondered what it was like to work in a professional kitchen. Could I handle it? What is it really like? I love these behind the scenes types of books. This was a great look at the life of a sous chef, in NYC no less. I really enjoyed it.
on May 9, 2017
This is a really fast, entertaining, and easy read. It gives a good glimpse of what it's like to work in a such a grueling, yet personally rewarding industry. The sprinkling of untranslated Spanish doesn't bother me. On the contrary, I think it adds to the book's authenticity.