Save Big On Open-Box & Used Products: Buy "South Park - The Complete First Season” from Amazon Open-Box & Used and save 84% off the $39.98 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all offers from Amazon Open-Box & Used.
South Park - The Complete First Season
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Mr. Hankey! Mecha Streisand! Cartman's Mom! And more. It all started here, in South Park's groundbreaking first season. Still going strong in its sixth season, South Park continues to be Comedy Central's highest rated and most recognized original series ever.
South Park exploded on the pop culture landscape like a dirty bomb in 1997, and the 13 episodes that comprise the groundbreaking first season have lost none of their subversive impact. If Seinfeld was a show about nothing, then South Park is a show about everything, from important moral lessons in compassion and tolerance to good old-fashioned animated character assassination (Kathie Lee Gifford in "Weight Gain 4000" and Barbra Streisand in "Mecha-Streisand"). Like an After School Special gone quite mad, profanity-spewing third-graders Stan, Kyle, Cartman, and the ill-fated Kenny navigate childhood in their mountain town. Nothing in South Park is sacred, and each episode has something to offend, from "Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride" (featuring George Clooney as the voice of Sparky, the homosexual dog), to the Halloween episode "Pink Eye," in which Cartman dresses up as Adolph Hitler. Best not to even get started on Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Pooh, or the season finale cliffhanger, "Cartman's Mom Is a Dirty Slut."
Each episode is preceded by a faux introduction by creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, who proclaim every episode to be their favorite. Their incarnations as Rootin'-Tootin' Trey Parker and Pistol-Slingin' Matt Stone indicate that after South Park runs its course, they'd be great hosts of their own children's show, which--and this cannot be stressed strongly enough--South Park is not. Other extras include the South Park boys' appearance on the CableAce awards and "A South Park Thanksgiving," featuring Jay Leno, which aired exclusively on The Tonight Show. A minor annoyance is the slapdash packaging that mislabels the episodes ("Damien," for example, is on disc 3, not 2 as indicated). --Donald Liebenson
- All 13 episodes
- "A South Park Thanksgiving" as seen on "The Tonight Show"
- Cartman "O Holy Night" music video
- Ned "O Little Town of Bethlehem" music video
- On-Air promos
- The Boys present at the 1997 CableACE Awards
Top Customer Reviews
According to the article, Matt and Trey did record commentaries, but Warner Home video was NOT pleased with some of the things Matt and Trey had to say - especially regarding other Warner Video titles that Matt and Trey depicted in a not-so-nice light. When Warner told them to change the commentaries, Matt and Trey said NO WAY - seems they are sick of the studios trying to tell them what's funny and what they can include in their own show - and they got fed up and pulled the commentary tracks from the dvds.
I ordered my own set of commentaries with the special offer from the website the day after the DVDs were released. That is fine with me. I would MUCH rather Matt and Trey be true to their vision of the great "South Park" than to bow down to what any studio wants them to do. Long Live "South Park"!!
01. Cartman gets an anal probe
03. Weight Gain 4000
04. Big Gay Al's big gay boat ride
05. An elephant makes love to a pig
09. Starvin' Marvin
10. Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo
11. Tom's Rhinoplasty
13. Cartman's Mom is a dirty slut
Each disc includes the same set of South Park/Comedy Central promo commericals, but disc 3 has these additional features:
- Cartman's "O Holy Night" video
- Ned's "O Little town of Bethlehem" video
- Jay Leno's appearance on South Park (shown on Tonight Show)
- The South Park boys announce a cable ace award
Several fans have complained about the lack of episode commentary by Trey Parker & Matt Stone, but who can quibble with all 13 episodes at the push of a button?Read more ›
Cartman: "O Holy Night"
Ned: "O Little Town of Bethlehem"
The episodes will include:
Cartman Gets an Anal Probe
Weight Gain 4000
Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boatride
An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo
Cartman's Mom is a Dirty Slut
I must have watched these 100's of times. Big gay Al with Stan's gay dog and Tom's Rhinoplasty with Mr. Garrison looking like David Hasselhoff are two of my all time favorite South Park episodes.
The only thing I don't like about this is that they have all been released on DVD before so there are no new episodes here.
**** One big minus, you have to order the audio commentary from Trey and Matt from the Comedy Central website. For $3.50 in shipping and handling you get 5 CD's of commentary, not bad but it should have been included in the DVD's. Apparently they said some things about the movie "Contact" with Jodie Foster, and since Jodie brings in more money than South Park, they yanked it from the DVD. *****
- Warner Brothers dropped the commentary by the creators and didn't drop the price. I can understand if WB disapproved of the vulgar language they may have used, dismaying all the real South Park fans (adults) but "where's the beef?" in these disks? WB has to be by far the worst at putting together a DVD -- but at least they did it.
- The transfer is inferior to older South Park DVD's with isolated episodes.
- The DVD doesn't even have a chapter search within the episode, not a huge deal but it says something about the time put into the disk.
- The episodes do include the intros by Trey and Matt, which is another plus.
- Overall, I have to say -- if you have all the episodes on the older South Park DVDs or even VHS, which this transfer is comparable to, don't even bother with this disk, the extras are not worth it unless you are a die-hard South Park fan like myself and even then they are questionable.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
In my opinion South Park is one of the best comedy shows ever made. I will say though that this first season on DVD has a really not awesome transfer. Read morePublished 17 days ago by Ironborne
Love South Park!!!, some one took 1 of my dvds from my 1st season set, amazon has seasons on 1 dvd, great!!Published 21 days ago by kimberle
Oh man these are great episodes very very funny. The package arrived in the time it was expected and was new. It worked and is in perfect condition no trouble at all.Published 1 month ago by Justone