Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon

Format: Flexibound|Change

Showing 1-10 of 77 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 86 reviews
on April 18, 2015
Absolutely beautiful book. GREAT pictures. Wonderful recipes!

However.....flexibound isn't very functional. It's going to be a chore to make it stay open and not possible without blocking part of the recipes. If this had been published in spirlbound it would be PERFECT. I'm thinking of weighing it down by opening it mid-book and laying some thing flat and heavy on it to losing it up BUT I fear doing this may actually weaken the spine.

Alas.......it's a beautifully put together book. Thank you.
on December 9, 2013
This is a great cookbook if you want to learn to make delicious pies. There are several different crust recipes and a great variety of wonderful recipes for pies. I've baked one of the crust recipes and one of the pies so far and both were a success. Jan Moon is a wonderful baker, and I know that she wouldn't put a recipe in her book if it wasn't tested. I have already given two of these as gifts and they loved it. Great Christmas or birthday gift for a baker!
on January 16, 2015
I bought this for my father as a Father's day gift and he adores it. He's been making quite a few pies from this book ( and he was already a pie lover) and his favorite is the decadent peanut butter one. Everything in the book is very well-explained and looks fantastic. There are a variety of crust recipes to try and use with the actual pie recipes.

He loves it - and I loved the results of what he tried... I would definitely recommend it to pie-lovers.
on January 17, 2014
The pie book exceeded my expectations. The recipes sounded amazing and the photos were wonderful. I bought this for my daughter and she was so happy with it. We went through it page by page, drooling!!

Really liked the recipes for different kinds of crusts. The pictures are helpful so you know what you're aiming for when you create something new.
on November 2, 2013
Fun book. Great Pictures. Sweet ideas. Very Informative And Helpful. Would Be A Fantastic Book For a Beginning Pie Baker!
on March 29, 2017
I bought this for a shower gift and had to have one for myself, too!
on October 6, 2015
Pie recipes for beginners. Every pie crust is easy and delicious. The ingredients are NOT a hundred requiring two trips to the grocery store. I hate to cook or bake.....I think if one likes deserts, one should buy the book. I bought one for my son who is bakery 'chef' . I also bought the book on cakes. Again, one only needs to read and measure to make a perfect easy cake!
on March 5, 2017
Gift
on January 13, 2017
So many great pies to choose from!!!!!
on November 22, 2013
I have a confession to make. I consider myself an accomplished cook, but my Achilles heel in the culinary department is pie making. There's something about making a crust that makes me as nervous as can be. I bought a pie book this year, but it seemed a little past the skill level of this novice pie baker. So I decided to buy this book as an early Christmas gift to myself. I am beyond happy that I bought it!

The book is a softcover with a durable cover that looks to wipe clean. My only complaint is that you need a cookbook stand to actively cook from it. It is laid out well with a wonderful cross-referenced index, and the pictures, oh the pictures! The pictures are full page for each and every pie, and they make you declare that you will master the art of pies.

The book is divided as follows: pie and tart crusts; cream, meringue, and ice cream pies; tarts and galettes; slab pies; pie toppings; classic southern pies; fruit pies; cobblers and crisps; hand pies and fried pies; equipment; ingredients; and crust index. My favorite sections are the pie and tart crusts chapter as well as the crust index. The crust index is a genius two page spread that lets you choose one of the crust recipes and pair it with a suggested filling. This way, you can make a pie anytime by utilizing a crust you re comfortable making and handling. You don't have to be a pastry pro to pull off these recipes--there are a number of press in the pan crusts. I find this very reassuring. If you're a pastry pro, they show you how to make a lattice crust or do a decorative crust edge.

You will find a wide array of pies, something to please everyone. There are lots of old expected classics such as vinegar pie, chess pie, and banana cream pie, but you will also find lots of awesome and welcome twists on classics such as red velvet pie, maple chess pie with brown sugar bacon, and mini bananas foster pies. The salted caramel pecan tassies are amazing and a showstopper for company. Be sure to check out the toppings chapter which will show you how to make everything from apple cider drizzle to homemade crème fraiche.

I am pleased with my purchase and hope Southern Living produces more books in a similar vein. I will enjoy this book for many years to come and think it would make a nice stocking stuffer for the family member with a sweet tooth who enjoys baking.