Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on December 15, 2014
Holly Herrick is an absolute DREAM to read (from a Foodies perspective). I bought this book for a gift, then had to buy it again for myself!
on April 23, 2013
Lots of great recipes that "normal" people might actually prepare. Makes use of common foods found at local farmers markets.
on January 10, 2011
Awesome cookbook! I can't wait on the growing season to get here to try out all these fabulous recipes!
on November 30, 2016
I would suggest that if you're planning to use any of the recipes in this book for company or a special occasion then try it out first prior to the occasion to see whether it works. Fortunately I tried out the chowchow deviled white shrimp and farm fresh eggs recipe that I was thinking of using for a dinner party . I followed the cooking instructions for the hard-boiled eggs to the letter and in fact they stayed in the hot water for a little bit over 17 minutes and I was afraid they would be overcooked. On the contrary! See the attached photos of how undercooked the eggs were. Not only that, but for some reason when I cracked the shells in order to peel the eggs the whites broke in such a way that I couldn't cut them in half lengthwise to make deviled eggs out of them. So I had under cooked yolks, and broken as well as undercooked whites. There was no way I could make deviled eggs with the results of the recipe's instructions. I don't even think you can make egg salad with these under cooked yolks. I ate two of them plain for lunch and I gave one to my little dog who buried it for later LOL . Frankly I'm quite upset about having wasted a beautiful half dozen free range eggs. I agree the recipes in the book sound delicious but again I would say that if it's important to you then I would have a trial run of any recipe in the book. Normally I cook my hard-boiled eggs according to Martha Stewart's instructions and they turn out beautifully. The instructions in this southern farmers market cookbook are more complicated than Martha's and so I expected a better result than Martha's but instead I got an inferior and unworkable result. Remember, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating. "
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 8, 2009
There are lots of cookbooks, many of them quite good. But this beauty should be front and center on your shelf. The recipes are enough to start you salivating, something enhanced by the wonderful photos of all the goodies you get to cook. The recipes are simple and direct, the meals are off-the-usual track, and the ingredients - and where/how to get them - are a key to your success. A major yummster . . . and enjoyably readable.
2 people found this helpful
on September 24, 2009
Whether you are a southerner or long to be one - this may possibly be the best "fresh" cookbook you will ever read. I love to go to a farmers market - it is a festival of sumptuous smells and sights . . . yet, almost instantly I am overwhelmed. Thanks to Southern Market Cookbook, I now know how to work the maze of the market, and there is a guide letting you know when market items are in season, even broken out by state. The recipes are easy to follow and are "southern" with a twist that will keep you wanting more. It's nice to know "how" to buy local, support my hometown and most importantly prepare fresh, fabulous recipes for family and friends. And at this price, this will be my first choice of Christmas Gifts to give this year. Fabulous!
One person found this helpful
on May 27, 2009
I just got my copy of the Southern Farmers Market Cookbook and can't wait to put the recipes to use. Although I live in the Midwest, the recipes are still perfect for me. The book has a smart layout -- the author suggests a basic pantry at the beginning, offers inviting and accessible recipes at the core, then rounds it out with a listing of area Farmers Markets and the various produce in season. It's a book that's inspiring as much as it is informational. I'm going to walk through my weekend Farmers Market with the senses as my guide to finding "what's for dinner."
3 people found this helpful
on October 25, 2014
One of the best cookbooks I have in my vast collection. The recipes are easy to follow, the results perfection! Love the creamy turnip.soup.and onion tart, and......I love them all!
on May 29, 2009
This is a well laid-out cookbook with good photos, some surprising combinations of ingredients, and very good ideas for using just the kind of vegetables you're likely to find growing locally in the South. The cookbook is organized both by season and by type of dish. Its style reminds me a bit of Jamie Oliver. The recipes capitalize on the freshness of their ingredients. This would be a nice gift cookbook.
6 people found this helpful
on July 30, 2009
This is a fantastic cookbook because of its use of seasonal southern produce and also its helpful organization. The summer produce is booming right now, so I just reference the Summer recipes and have definitely enjoyed the outcomes! I have tried a handful of recipes and they are easy to follow with a fresh tasting dimensional taste! Not complicated, but also the dishes aren't plain. I love it and its gorgeous - not going in the cabinet!
One person found this helpful