Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Southern Vampire Mystery BOOKS verses True Blood TV show.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 651 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 26, 2011, 10:09:33 AM PDT
Beach Reader says:
We are now into Season 4 of True Blood and the discrepancies between the book characters and stroy line verses the TV show continue to grow. Here's just 2 for starters:

SVM Sookie (good hearted, loyal, loving) vs TB Sookie (cranky, whiny, b****)

SVM Amnesia Eric (fun-loving but manly perception, leadership skills and determination are evident) vs TB Eric (child-like and frightened)

Posted on Jul 26, 2011, 10:32:12 AM PDT
Jred says:
Add in Pam acting like an air head! The real Pam is fierce and would never be so careless as to let something stupid slip outta her mouth about her maker. Some people were saying "well, she was really upset about her face rotting and was not herself, etc" I don't buy it. Eric wanted to meet the sun with Godric and offered to do so but Godrick ordered him away. But now AB wants us to believe that Pam would be that disloyal and stupid. And to make it worse, Pam mutters a pitiful "sorry". Also, Sookie is so uncaring on the show. I thought maybe they would have her grieve a little over her poor grandfather who died to help her escape fairy. Nope, just her whining about Eric owning her house. Plus, they have shown us no grieving over her break-up with Bill. She just goes over to his house like no big deal to ask about getting her place back from Eric. I mean in her world, his huge betrayal just happened. In the books, we are shown how much this hurt her, her tears and insecurities over it. On TB, it is like she is completely over it and over her anger at "Beel".

Posted on Jul 26, 2011, 10:41:10 AM PDT
S. Blackmon says:
last season she was about to get her eyelids pierced with silver earrings and she didn't go all whiny. nope, she verbally spared with the magister.

i just can't see how women are falling for this version of amnesia eric. yes, it's funny that askars gets to play eric a different way, but i don't find him sexy. the hair, the ridiculous clothes... he just looks like a giant 6th grade boy (Tommy describing Hoyt).

crying... i had a bad dream, scared of the dark. AARRRGGGHHHH!!!! DO NOT WANT!!

and her acting the role of mommy. ew!!

RE: her & bill. but you could tell that she really was wanting him to profess all his: aaahhh wheeelll neevaahhh luuuvvv. crap so she could forgive him and go back to being a couple.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011, 12:04:28 PM PDT
GatorGirl says:
I was introduced to the books a lil late in the game, after I found out TB was based on these Sookie Stackhouse series. (and I wasn't a huge devoted follower of the tv show.....mildly curious, but turned off by the stupidity of the Maryann (maenad) storyline) I have read all of the books except for Dead Reckoning and in keeping with this thread of discussion......The tv series is soooooo far off from the books it has lost some magic for me. I am still in the process of catching up on past seasons by watching on HBOGO and can find some good and lots of bad if comparing the books to the show. From reading previous posts I know we're discussing Eric and Sookie.....and I think how AB handled previous seasons with the Eric/Sookie relationship has caused problems with it now. And I can't get over how utterly RIDICULOUS "Eric" looks in that stupid purple hoodie......it drives me crazy!!!! lol Anyways....I love reading and it just seems to me that the books are better than the movies/tv shows based on them. There are a few that seem to do it right.....but many who don't.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011, 12:32:58 PM PDT
Beach Reader says:
In SVM, you get the feeling that the story has stayed in one direction with essential plot elements revealed slowly enough to generate some great discussions and antipation. It has been a journey of Sookie accepting her gift and learning to take care of herself in the supe world. At the same time, IMO the relationship between Eric and Sookie has grown over all the books as they learn and appreciate different aspects of each other. I think AE showed that Eric was very much like Sookie at the beginning of his vamp life -- good heart, loyal, deep feelings, steadfast. Sookie has acquired the traits that she once condemned in Eric (ruthless protection of those he cares for, will kill to survive, etc.) that will be necessary to stay alive in the supe world.

In TB, I get the feeling that everything can and will change on AB's whim, just to keep the audience guessing. I don't see a progressing story line, only lurid scenes meant to surprise and/or shock the audience. I do not feel characters have any set traits and AB will change them from good to bad and back to good just to keep the viewers coming.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011, 12:53:37 PM PDT
S. Blackmon says:
for 3 seasons, she has been totally unlikeable about 96% of the time. the way they have anna hatefully spit her lines at eric made me truly believe that she would rather have cancer than for him to 'grow on her'. i did not see all her rebuffs as snarky, playing hard to get, denying her budding romantic feelings for him.

i took them to be: i really hate this dude. but i know there is a soft side to him; i saw it on the roof.

yes, she saw that he isn't all stone, but to me, the writing & acting have reflected only that. that she saw a different side. and i can see someone in a new light yet not want to sleep with them. this is not a mandatory if/then situation.

even that talk on the porch last season. she just never easy going and pleasant.

book sookie had a wicked and albeit horndog sense of humor & wit. yes, eric scared her at first, but even in book 2, she knew she could trust him to protect her from the one thing that scared her most: being taken advantage of against her will at the orgy. him flinging off the trench coat to reveal that ridiculously awesome outfit; him helping her choose an outfit. telling her: i am blonde... everywhere after noticing that they both have the same shade of blonde hair.

book 3 getting staked and stilll managing to appreciate all the dudes at russel's mansion: water water everywhere. eric laughing and her thinking: that's why i like eric; he gets me. later in the book where bill is all: my sookie hid a body and my sookie that. and her flipping him the bird and eric laughing his butt of. and when he gets amnesia, they TALK and she tells him their history and about her relationship with bill. he is comfortable with her rathr than other vamps because they TALKED and he saw how fierce & loyal and compassionate etc she was.

he is not emo like TB eric is right now.

all that bonding is missing from the show. they choose to let her fall for an adolescent version of such a beloved character.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011, 1:06:02 PM PDT
Beach Reader says:
Meanwhile TB Alcide is naked (what a treat to see his backside!) and S doesn't even look twice. Were her love scenes with Bill in TB believable? Her acting is so harsh and forced, I just can't see her having emotional ties with ANYONE on the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011, 1:31:41 PM PDT
S. Blackmon says:
i dunno, AP is one big ball of awkward and she just has never done it for me. she has a wonky walk, that weird flaily thing she does with her arms when she turns around or is running. her smile reminds me of jack nicholson's joker. even the way she cranes her neck for a vamp to bite her comes off as... awkward.

yeah, if that was me, joe & alex would have had to do that take about 173 times LOL. in the scene where we are supposed to see her looking at his body, she is. but when shot from the back, she is looking up in his face instead of still admiring his body. so it was funny when alcide said: sookie. so she'd turn around. stephen would have been mad at me that night, because my eyes would have been glued to that zipper LOL. a little lower please.

her 'love' scenes with stephen aren't all that great IMO. it's more of just grunt grunt grunt. all his scenes are a bunch of thrust thrust thrust.. no sensuality in it.

i still say that tara and eggs had the hottest sex scene (their first time). the music that was playing in the background and the sensual movement... hot.

i have no doubt that alex will do good on his part, but i think anna's face is going to look like she's having a root canal instead of doing something pleasurable.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011, 1:36:30 PM PDT
KCScout says:
Oh, I think Sookie was plenty bossy in DTTW. We've only seen Eric have amnesia over the span of a couple of days so far and we've already seen definate flashes of the Sheriff; first, when he's negotiating for a kiss and then when he thinks Tara is attacking Sookie.

Pam's face was falling off so I forgive her for freaking out and spilling the beans. Besides, if she hadn't, I'd have missed the incredibly entertaining lip-twitching that followed.

I think they are stringing Sookie's growth out to keep pace with Eric's, at least I hope so, but this season's Sookie seems more likable (and not as dim) than previous seasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011, 4:42:43 PM PDT
GatorGirl says:
totally agree with you!!!! Leaving out the little things is what makes the TB Eric/Sookie relationship seem flat. I really enjoyed their little moments in the first books.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011, 4:48:31 PM PDT
GatorGirl says:
lol....I was just wondering what a "wonky" walk is?.....agree with ya somewhat about AP's protrayal of Sookie. I think she nails the awkwardness that she has around "normal" people...But I don't think she has any chemistry with Mr. Alex/Eric. or the actor playing Alcide. (got to learn his name....he is magnificently built!....yum. I have to make sure I'm not staring too hard when I'm watching with my hubby....hehehe)

Posted on Jul 26, 2011, 8:25:59 PM PDT
Beach Reader says:
I will say it was nice to hear S lie to Bill about hiding Eric and then say "I have never lied to you". Gulp. That shut Bill up!

Let's see... a naked Alcide, a naked Eric, and Bill getting his own right back at him. I guess it WAS a nice TB episode!

Posted on Jul 26, 2011, 9:01:42 PM PDT
Coffeelover says:
Yes I have a strong dislike to the season. A few times I have tried to watch the episodes and end up skipping to the Eric and Sookie scenes and then it just disappoints me.

I did like the other seasons, this for me, seems like really bad acting and baaaaad scripts.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011, 9:19:23 PM PDT
Beach Reader says:
And bad direction! I don't think it was AS/Eric's decision to act like a demented 10 year old. And the writing - yuk! Awkward lines delivered by poor actors with faulty direction.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011, 6:36:43 AM PDT
S. Blackmon says:
As nothing good was on last night, I re-watched the ep and yep, Eric & Sookie are on some ole Oedipus crap. Some feel that this is totally romantic and squee at those icky scenes.

And some are like: it's no different than when a man is sick and he acts like a kid and you amp up the mommy stuff. well, when you get down to it, that crap is annoying and i certainly don't feel riled up to do anything with a big man child. call me when you're back to normal, buddy.

A bad dream, the crying, the head on her lap.... there's no crying in vampland!! Vamp up indeed.

Some say that it was a good thing that she didn't correct him when he said he had hurt her bad. That she didn't need to tell about Bill. au contraire, i think this is where they should have kept closer to the books. Eric hearing how she went to rescue his sorry behind, got staked and killed Lorena is why he fell for her. It spoke volumes about her character.

but, i guess it really didn't make sense to tell the story because she didn't get staked and if it hadn't been for bill, lorena would have killed her and if it hadn't been for Tara & Alcide she & bill would have been killed by the wolves.

heck, if she told that story, Eric probably would have looked at her with the same WTH face that wolf-form Alcide looked at Eric when he was playing in the water. then he probably would have ran. LOL

Posted on Jul 27, 2011, 6:46:25 AM PDT
Beach Reader says:
SBb "there's no crying in vampland"! Love it!

Posted on Jul 27, 2011, 1:16:20 PM PDT
S. Blackmon says:
I really hope AB does what he does best and totally destroys this seemingly (to most) sugary romance that is budding between TB sook & eric because the E/S book fans are starting to sound as crazy as they accuse the B/S folk. the rationalizations they use for how this mommy/son thing is actually a good foundation is.. just crazy.

wanting eric to (if he doesn't remember sook) Eric to long for Sookie and feel it in his soul. this is essentially turning him in to the old beehl we love to hate. if TB has eric puppy dogging behind this chic next season, i quit.

AB better do me one proud and truly wreck this. If it paints Eric evil, then so be it. I'd rather that than turning him into EmoVamp. down here we call it hen pecked.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011, 2:37:31 PM PDT
Beach Reader says:
I believe you have expressed yourself well as a BOOK EL but not a TB EL and did a superb job of explaining the difference. I can understand how TB Bill has a fan base -- AB took all of Eric's good deeds and gave them to Bill. What I do not understand, is how brainwashed these TB BLs are when it comes to pairing SVM Bill and SVM Sookie. They seem to selectively block major portions of the book.

I did not watch S3 at all. Since I assume it was fashioned after Club Dead, did Bill rape Sookie in the trunk on TB?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011, 2:53:30 PM PDT
S. Blackmon says:
of course he didn't LOL. but note this season they had sook call amnesia eric a fang raper.

oh, i can't get down with their brand of crazy either. they think this one lie by sook is way worse than anything beehl has ever done and that she doesn't deserve him. saywhatnow?!?!?!

as far as TB Bill... him and TB Sook can live happily ever after.

Book Bill. sorry, but accidental or not, you don't get back with your rapist. i don't hate him and like that sook sees him as a friend, but this constant professing love is just a turn off and i'd tell him to stay away from me and move on.

TB sook even basically threatened to tresspass in alcide's head unless he took her to see the packmaster. all in the name of finding beehl. BookSook would never be that mean considering they just met and he already got his butt beat taking her to Lou Pines.

it was awful. all she did was run around and scream in EVERYONE's face for the entire episode. then when eric tells her how bill let the rats beat her while he watched, sure she told beehl to get out of her house, but she was even more mean with Eric: get off my porch you dead piece of *(&

Posted on Jul 27, 2011, 3:16:04 PM PDT
GatorGirl says:
Let me propose a new ? concerning TB versus the books.....what changes (if any) do you like that AB made?

IMO..... I like the addition of the Jessica character. I think it is interesting to see how a baby vamp has to adjust. I like the relationship between Hoyt and her.

I also like that the Lafayette character is still alive. Don't know about the way the story line is going right now but he is definitely a colorful character who adds some laughs.

Maybe you can add some huge dislikes as well? Because S2 with the Maryann (maenad) story was so over the top. She got on my nerves after a while. I preferred to how that was handled in the book (minus the death of Lafayette of course)

Posted on Jul 27, 2011, 3:47:06 PM PDT
S. Blackmon says:
I like the introduction of tommy. Gives sam something to do; expand his character

I also like arlene and terry together.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011, 3:55:37 PM PDT
GatorGirl says:
good points...I agree. I just love the Terry character in the books and the tv show. I can't help but love him...

Posted on Jul 27, 2011, 6:00:44 PM PDT
Beach Reader says:
Agree with Terry being A-OK... sorta wish he was Sook's HEA.

I like the theme song. And AS/Eric Joe Manganiello/Alcide!!! Wow. Too bad AS and AP have NO chemestry.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011, 6:21:30 PM PDT
Doby-Elf says:
At this point I dont see the reason for Alcide at all. JM has about as much personality as a wet mop IMO and no doubt he looks great but most of the guys on TB do so if they dont have a good story for his character and the characters dont mesh whats the point? Good looking doesnt always = good acting, sorry JMO.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011, 6:43:12 PM PDT
Beach Reader says:
RG - guess I picked a good show to watch since both AS and JM were in the buff. Nice eye candy! However, it seems AB is paying the price for casting based on nice chests rather than acting ability. (ditto with Sookie IMO)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  30
Total posts:  651
Initial post:  Jul 26, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 11)
Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 11) by Charlaine Harris (Hardcover - May 3, 2011)
3.8 out of 5 stars (1,374)