Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on February 23, 2011
I thought I botched my first attempt at making tofu. I added the Nagari to cold soy milk and then read that the soy milk should be near boiling when you add it - Doh! I was just too impatient to get going. So I nuked the soy milk to near boiling, added more nigari and stirred and weird curds started forming. I did just about everything wrong, but decided to put the stuff into the tofu box and lo and behold, about an hour later I had a slab of real (firm) tofu that worked out right after all. I figure if I could misread the instructions and still make a decent slab of tofu, then this is a pretty foolproof method/device.
11 comment| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 26, 2011
 This short video shows what is in the tofu kit. Also shown is the weakness of the box construction. For the price, I am still happy I bought it as it showed me how to make tofu and the box design.
99 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 3, 2013
Bought this kit to make some tofu. While the premise is awesome, the execution is not so great. The wooden press box fell apart on the second use. We still have plenty of nigori left and use it to make tofu, but had to get a different press and bigger cheese cloth. I think if you want to make tofu you are better off ordering some cheese cloth and a press online and getting your beans and coagulant locally (if you can find it locally).
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 7, 2011
I was excited to receive this tofu kit and to begin making homemade tofu. I made my first batch with the mold and was really pleased with the result of the tofu. In fact, I was very happy with the freshness, taste and outcome of the tofu. However, the wood and construction of the mold was very poor. During my first use, the wood warped within 10 minutes of adding the wet bean curds and the seams came apart at the bottom of the frame. I'm very disappointed that I have to return this product and get dinged by shipping charges.
on January 24, 2012
I just got this yesterday and used it last night. the design is simple, and easy to use. I was initially bummed because there were no instructions with regard to the mechanics of this product, but that is because it is intuitive and easy to figure out.
there were instructions for how to use the enclosed nigari for tofu making. My only wish is that the manufacturer specified how much soymilk to use, as opposed to instructing the consumer to use a batch of freshly made tofu. no matter. this can be found on the internet and unless you really are trying hard to make a mistake, it is impossible to mess this up.
on August 13, 2012
I'm not giving 5 stars because the bottom of my tofu press is already starting to warp a little, but it's nothing that will affect the tofu, and the top and bottom still fit well. Very handy to have the whole kit as one unit, and I love the traditional wood of the press. Makes a much thinner block of tofu than you're probably used to, with lots of room to go firmer or less firm, as you desire. The best part of making tofu at home is the quality, though: I haven't had tofu this good since I left Japan.
on October 10, 2011
After used the nigari, please keep the soy milk warm. Because it is nigari, it is not suitable to make super soft tofu. Nigari is designed to make firm tofu. If you want to make super soft tofu, use Gluconolactone. Actually I am using gluconolactone instead nigari all the time.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 2, 2012
What a great kit. I had a little trouble getting it right the first go (It came out way too soft and fell apart in the fridge), but I found a couple great resources online for help with making tofu (Here's one with pictures too [...]/making_tofu.html). The only thing to note is that the mold itself is more rectangular in shape than store bought tofu. The tofu made comes out a little flatter and longer; so rather than a block or cube, you get more of a rectangular slab. It still tastes amazing when you do it yourself.
on July 4, 2012
I bought this even after reading all the negative reviews. I thought I could reinforce it and it would be OK. NOT SO! It split and warped the very first time. Sent back next day! Horrible!
on May 17, 2012
I bought this kit for the box. It's hard to find a tofu box in the US, which reflects a lot on our society, so I bought this one. I used it about six times and the water caused the wood to swell which separated the nails from the wood. The unit is very poorly nailed/stapled together and you should expect this to happen. That said, you can nail the thing back together very easily. I replaced the six nails with something like 20 and all is well. As other reviewers state the box shows you how to build your own box, something you could do with a few bucks at the hardware store, but you just don't know until you see one.

I buy my Niagari via another site online, it's very cheap at $1.50/lb and I order 20 lbs at a time which would probably make an actual ton of tofu, yes?

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.