Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ $6.08 shipping
+ $6.19 shipping
Space Dumplins Hardcover – August 25, 2015
"Neverworld Wake" by Marisha Pessl
Read the absorbing new psychological suspense thriller from acclaimed New York Times bestselling author Marisha Pessl. Learn more
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From School Library Journal
Gr 5 Up—Violet's family lives among the Roids, the boondocks of the galaxy, where her father collects the whale droppings that fuel society. It's a dangerous job, for these massive space mammals eat anything stationary. During a bout of whale diarrhea (the equivalent of an oil spill), Violet's father goes missing. However, this capable young lady isn't about to sit still. With teamwork, she and her diverse group of alien friends learn they can pass impassible obstacles, save baby whales, and survive the harsh realities of space. This volume is a cornucopia of wacky aliens, cool ships, and space junk. Every panel is crammed full of minutely detailed line art and colored to match the status of the place (the elitist space-station Shell-Tarr has bright hues, while "outer space" has all the rusty and grimy shades of a junkyard). For this whirlwind adventure, Thompson uses dynamic layouts, opens up smaller spaces with cross-sections, and even mimics the action with some panels. While the work scrutinizes the energy crisis that humanity has yet to avert, it mostly focuses on the themes of family, friendship, and cooperation. VERDICT With its fully realized artistic vision, oddball humor, and fantastic story, Space Dumplins will appeal to those who loved, but have outgrown, Zita the Space Girl (First Second, 2011) and Cleopatra in Space (Scholastic, 2014).—Rachel Forbes, Oakville Public Library, Ontario, Canada
* "With thrilling adventure, a stalwart, good-hearted hero, some well-timed laughs, and a meaningful message at its heart, this is will surely be a star." -- Booklist, starred review
* "It's a wild and funny escapade, undergirded by a tender portrait of a family just trying to get by." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
"I love Space Dumplins!" -- Jeff Smith
“Craig Thompson has created a new genre: the Adorable Epic." -- Joss Whedon
Praise for Habibi :
* "It is unfair to expect two masterpieces in a row from anyone, but here Thompson sits securely in that rarefied air."--Booklist, starred review
* "A lushly epic love story that's both inspiring and heartbreaking… A dense, swirling dervish of a tale…this will be the most talked about graphic novel of the fall." Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "The exquisite beauty and deep magic of this Arabian Nights-style love story cannot be overstated...Habibi is certain to join the ranks of graphic novels that expand our understanding of not only the genre but also the world it describes.”--School Library Journal, starred review
Praise for Blankets :
* "His visual mastery shows in fluid line work, assured compositions, and powerful use of solid black areas and negative space."--Booklist, starred review
"His exceptional b&w drawings balance representational precision with a bold and wonderfully expressive line for pages of ingenious, inventively composed and poignant imagery."--Publishers Weekly
"This second, much longer work shares the acuity for character development and dynamic sensitivity that makes the author so compulsively readable."--School Library Journal
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Craig Thompson has such an evocative, emotive style that you truly empathize with the characters. I loved the deep emotions of Blankets and Habibi, and Space Dumpkins is no exception. Much more kid-friendly, obviously.
If you're a fan of highly imaginative, edgy storylines with lots of laughs and action, like "Adventure Time", you will love Space Dumplins. It's written for grade schoolers, I'd guess a 4th-6th grade reading level, but all ages will enjoy it. The heroine is exactly what pop culture needs--a plucky young woman who relies on her inner strength, resilience, and love of her family and friends, rather than looks or physical prowess. Especially if you have a young daughter, niece, sister, granddaughter...BUY THIS BOOK!