Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$14.95+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 75 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 109 reviews
on March 3, 2017
GOOD BOOK
on March 30, 2017
nice
on April 24, 2017
Este es un buen libro, muy útil.
on March 15, 2007
I wish I had purchased this book before, because it's A LOT better than the textbook used in my college Spanish class. While it's true that this book, alone, will not make you fluent in Spanish, there is no one book that will do that. What this book will do is act as a great tool to help your Spanish fluency along.
on January 22, 2006
The book is broken up into chapters mainly based on different social situations you might encounter. In this respect, the book gives gives useful vocabulary and conversational illustrations.

The first chapter is devoted to to pronunciation and the 2nd to grammer. Even with this chapter on grammer, I thought the book fell short of explaining the needed grammatical rules and in addressing verb conjugations in an productive manner. They jump right in to present, past, and future verb tenses and never quite explain why the words are ordered the way they are in various sentences. I was left to wonder what various words were in and why they were at the front, in the back, or attached to the end of a verb.

I did like that they have little boxes explaining the differences between the spanish spoken in different countries since I was planning to use my spanish in Argentina.

Overall a good book if you're travelling and just want to be able to use the language in limited social situations without really understanding the why and how of the language.
on January 3, 2007
I am a huge fan of the Dummies books, I think they are great! This was a wonderful, very useful book, during college Spanish 102 for my daughter. She was able to use it more than the recommended books, and this one cost a whole lot less. A great addition to the Dummies books, thanks!
on November 2, 2009
This book is perfect for the beginner. I started to take a class in our High School but was totally lost since the instructor was asking us questions in Spanish. Needless to say I didn't go back. This book starts you off as if you never had any lessons or don't know a word in Spanish. It starts by explaining how to pronounce the letters and goes on from there. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a beginner.
on April 10, 2007
The book is easy to understand and the Spanish words spelled out phonetically so that the user may pronounce them without difficulty. Like most of the Dummies books, this is laid out in a way that is easy to use. It also has a CD in the back so the words and phrases can be actually heard to improve pronunciation.
on January 1, 2010
At the very beginning of the text Ms Wald infers that Spanish for Dummies is as much a cultural introduction to the Spanish speaking Americas as it is a premier in the fundamentals of the language itself. That she loves her subject is evident in her writing content and style.

She makes very clear that this book alone will probably not make one fluent. It's not a rehearsal of grammar in depth nor is it a textbook. But if one is willing to supplement the study of its basic ingredients with immersion in the language, one should do well. My suggestions include adding the complimentary volume (Intermediate Spanish for Dummies), the SfD Phrase Book, additional high-quality texts, popular magazines in Spanish, Univision and Telemundo television if available, an assortment of beginning dual-language books, a New International Version dual-language New Testament or Bible (or other form of Spiritual Works or Scriptures as available), and an E-News source or two of choice. Add to this mix a few generous colleagues, friends and neighbors who speak the language.

SfD is well organized. It's clear, intuitive, informative, uncluttered and humorous throughout. The cartoons are great! Previous criticism regarding misprints and typos are valid and such lack of attention to detail makes me crazy. I tend to see more and more of this in print and on-line the past decade or so. Certainly the author is ultimately responsible but perhaps this also is commentary on the quality of proofreading and editing these days. I've marked certain corrections and clarifications in my copy but wager I didn't catch them all.

The accompanying single CD is helpful with the rudiments of diction and pronunciation. Expect a number of canned conversational phrases directed toward the novice - nothing extra. More substantive audio recordings and programs are to be had through Berlitz and Rosetta Stone.

Spanish for Dummies has done what I expected it to do and I'm pleased to have it on my language-studies shelf.

My Four Stars would have been Five expect for the several printing errors as mentioned.

Russell de Ville
1 January 2010
on April 14, 2013
Makes it easy to teach yourself Spanish since word pronunciations are broken down into English phonics, and the same thing is available for Spanish speakings people to learn English in "Ingles for Dummies" as all directions and phonics are in the Spanish language. These 2 books are great self teaching tools for speakers of either language. I gave the "Ingles for Dummies" to my Spanish speaking students so they could study on their own.