Customer Reviews: Spatone Pur-absorb Iron, 28ct-20ml packets(0.67fl oz.) net contents 18.7 oz, 560ml
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Cycling on Amazon STEM

on November 15, 2011
I have been using the product for a few weeks now. My doctors have had me on an iron supplement (Slow-FE) for a while to counteract my low levels, but it has not made much of a dent. I'm really hoping this supplement, which is touted to have such better absorption, will do the trick. I do want to share a tip about taking the product. It tastes pretty gross in plain water. Very metallic - honestly, it tastes like blood. It's what all liquid iron supplements taste like - just not very pleasant. Here's my tip. Buy some Emergen-C Vitamin C packets Emergen-C Vitamin C Fizzy Drink Mix, 1000 mg, Super Orange, 0.3 Ounce Packets (Pack of 30), do either a half or whole dose of that in water, then throw the Pur Absorb in with that water/Emergen-C mix. You can't taste the PurAbsorb at all, and since Vitamin C has been shown to increase iron absorption, it's a win-win. I'll report back once I have my levels tested next to see if this product's claim of better absorption is true. I really have my hopes up!
3434 comments| 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2014
In April I was sent for my first appointment with a hematologist/oncologist because my CBC was "bad":

RBC, 4.24
HGB, 10.4
HCT, 33.3
Ferritin, 3.1

Of course the doctor prescribed iron pills but I never filled the prescription because I knew I couldn't stomach it. Iron constipates me and causes MAJOR stomach pain. I did some research and decided to give PurAbsorb a try. FANTASTIC DECISION!!!! I bought a box and started it about a month AFTER my April appointment with my hem/onc. Each morning (before any food) I would mix a 1/2 cup of water, 1tbsp. of Tang and one packet of PurAbsorb. After the first box was gone and I realized I wasn't going to have any issues with it, I started a second box (purchased at Walgreens).

After 7 full weeks of PurAbsorb, I had my follow-up appointment with my hem/onc this morning and the results cannot be denied:

RBC, 4.53
HGB, 11.6
HCT, 37.2
Ferritin, 14.3

I have 3 months until I see him again and I am definitely encouraged. I am going to up my dosage to 1 1/2 packet each morning and see what the numbers are then. Both he and his nurse were shocked that the changes are a result of iron water packets. Neither had ever heard of PurAbsorb. The nurse told me she will definitely be sharing this information with a few patients she knows don't tolerate iron tablets well.

For the naysayers on here saying "it's only water" or "it doesn't work" ... you are WRONG!!!!! It definitely works.

***UPDATE, 8/4/15

I have now been taking this product for over a year and the results have been pretty amazing. Here are my most recent lab numbers:

RBC, 4.60
HGB, 11.4
HCT, 36.5
Ferritin, 19

Now here's something that leaves me scratching my head. The last line says "Iron 155 H'. The range is 37-145. So my iron is now high? If these labs are correct ... and I believe they are ... my iron has come up a LOT in the last year. I stand by my original review of this product. This stuff works and it works without all of the side effects you get with iron tablets and pills.

I can no longer find it in original formula and that's fine with me. The apple flavor actually tastes pretty good and adds the vitamin C you need for absorption of the iron.
77 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2011
My wife suffers from low iron counts and has tried the pills, which just made her Constipation so she stopped. Saw this product and her levels are up and she has a lot more energy. Worth the $$
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2015
What can I say? SpaTone Pur-Absorb totally works. I am severely anemic, but really struggled with traditional iron supplements. I naturally tend towards the less regular end of the spectrum, if you catch my meaning, and Fe pills just made it way worse. Plus there was the stomach upset issue. I would start a course of iron supplements, immediately get a stomach ache and constipation, and then quit just about as quickly as I had begun.

Looking around for a gentler alternative, I stumbled across Pur-Absorb on Amazon and liked the way it sounded. I ordered a box and took the advice of one of the reviewers to add Emergen-C powder to it to mask the metallic flavor of the water, and within the first month my energy levels shot up. All of my fatigue and mental cloudiness seemed to melt away. Is this how "normal" people feel? If so, sign me up for a lifetime supply!
on January 9, 2015
A couple months ago I suffered a GI bleed (stomach ulcer) and my iron levels, which usually fall in the "normal" range, went low enough to cause me to be anemic, and I experienced weakness in my arms and legs. I was put on medication to help heal the ulcer, but I was never instructed to take an iron supplement. Because the weakness lingered, especially in my arms, I went looking for an iron supplement. Initially I thought I would just get a multi-vitamin that contained iron, but they all contain certain elements I have to avoid. I looked at Geritol, but it, too, contains ingredients I need to avoid. Then I saw the box of pur Absorb on the shelf. I decided to go with this product since it claimed to contain only iron-rich water. The price did make me flinch, however; at Walgreens this product was about $20 including tax--and there are only 28 doses in the box.

There is approximately two tablespoons of liquid in each packet, and I was a bit fearful of drinking this product straight (I still haven't tried it that way). First thing in the morning (on an empty stomach as per the instructions) I pour the liquid into a juice glass, fill it up with filtered water and drink it down quickly. I then refill my glass with more water and drink that amount right down, too. Then I wait for at least one-half hour before consuming anything else. Yes, there is an "iron" taste, but I do not find it as horrible as some of the other reviewers. Maybe for those who do find the taste horrible, try experimenting with the temperature of the liquid you use. Try using very cold water or juice (have you ever noticed how much easier it is to drink down a cold Alka Seltzer drink as opposed to one prepared with room-temperature water?) It took about two weeks for me to realize my arms felt almost normal.

About seven weeks after my GI bleed I was asked to have my iron levels re-tested. I had just finished the first box of pur Absorb, and I had just started on a second box. My primary care provider stressed to me that he just wanted to see if my numbers were "improving." When the lab results came back, I was told my levels were back in the normal range, but I was instructed to continue taking the iron supplement for three to six more months to build up my iron stores. I was very impressed that this product helped me to recover to normal levels so quickly. I will add, though, that I also eat some version of meat daily (beef, fish, poultry--apparently our best sources of dietary iron) which I'm sure was a help to my iron levels. There are sources of dietary iron in some plant foods, but they contain smaller amounts of iron than meat sources, and some of these plant sources I cannot consume.

When I returned to Walgreens to purchase box #2, I had the pleasant surprise to find it on sale for $9.99, so I purchased two boxes. When I was told I would need to use an iron supplement for a period of months, I hurried back to Walgreens hoping it was still on sale, and I think I just squeaked into being able to buy the last two boxes I would need to complete my iron supplementation. If you are buying this product locally, please look at the little folded brochure inside the box; there is a $2.00 coupon--with no expiration date--on it that you can use to reduce the cost of your next box of this product. With those coupons, I paid $7.99 each for my last two boxes. So, Walgreens shoppers: keep your eye on the price of this product!
on August 16, 2013
i have thalassemia and literally cannot live without this product - it is the fastest absorbing iron on the market aside from iron infusions. highly recommended!
on February 26, 2012
This product is a godsend. I have had low iron (and low energy) for just shy of a year since my third child was born. I tried iron pills, and liquid "iron & herbs" and I couldn't stick with either because of side effects or taste. I heard of this product & ordered it right away - much cheaper on amazon. Seriously - its amazing. I have more energy & feeling better every day. The results are noticeable within a few days. I followed the advice of another review & take it in Emergen-C super
Orange flavor. Perfect. No iron taste. I also had to contact the company because a few of my packets were orange - like rust. So I called & she wasted no time sending me a new box. She said it must have gotten oxidized but that it was still fine to take & not harmful at all. So I still take it if it's a little orange out of the packet. I was amazed at the friendly customer service! If you have low iron buy this! No side effects (constipation) and fast results. Wonderful.
on April 4, 2014
I have always been SEVERELY anemic. It was something I lived with, covered well by lots of iron in multivitamins (I take prenatals) and ginseng, rhodiola, and coffee.

While researching other types of help for this problem, I came across this product. I purchased it on a whim, fully expecting no results. I couldn't have BEEN MORE WRONG. THIS PRODUCT IS FABULOUS.It has truly made a difference in my life. I introduced the product to my sister, who is a sickle cell trait carrier and is even more anemic than I am (which is saying a great deal). It has also helped HER tremendously!

You feel the effects in about a day or two. It is essentially little packets of water - but don't be deceived the water is laden with iron. If you take it alone, without putting it in some kind of juice, it is kind of bitter and metallic. You can also taste it if you don't put it in some kind of liquid with high flavoring. It isn't wholly unpleasant, just a tiny bit metallic.

My suggestion is to put it in orange juice. The O.J. has enough flavor to cover the tiny bitterness, and the vitamin C interacts with the iron to make it even more available to your body. Truthfully, I have even put this stuff in soda pop, and have had no ill side effects and still felt the difference. But if you use orange juice you will be even more satisfied.

I had never seen this product anywhere before I purchased it months ago, at first, on AMAZON. Lately, though, I have seen it in Walgreens & CVS. I bought it in drugstores a few times BUT AMAZON'S PRICE IS CHEAPER, WELL WORTH ANY WAIT.

They give you enough for about a month and if you get the next supply before the next month, you should be okay.

I will always keep this product, until or unless my anemia goes away. In the coming months I will be working with doctors again to find out exactly why I am so anemic.

Please buy this product if you don't have enough iron. It is easy to take, convenient, and it WORKS.

----Mark's wife
on May 30, 2012
I have been diagnosed with severe anemia twice in the past year; I cannot take most regular iron supplements, and when I do, it has taken about 3-4 months to get my iron levels even in the low normal range. I have been taking Spatone Pur-Absorb for a little over a month (used one 28-count package, missing a couple of days due to a medical test) and my blood counts are already in the normal range, as is my iron saturation level. For me this is nothing short of a miracle. Pur-Absorb did not cause me ANY intestinal issues, in fact it caused no negative issues at all, none but positive ones. I took it daily along with one packet of Ester-C effervescent to help with the absorption. I would highly recommend this product to anyone needing iron supplements.
on June 20, 2013
i went from being anemic to being normal which is not anemic again thanks to this and there is no side effects that i have noticed.
Changed my life as it gave me more energy since i took it every day until i found i was not anemic any longer which took about 6 months of taking this as i was anemic due to heavy periods. i take this once a week now and it holds my iron level. Thank goodness i found this and will always use it if i need to. Geratol made me feel hot and made my stomach hurt and head hurt. I take as well lysada to treat my heavy periods so now i am maintaining my iron level. Thank goodness!