- Comic: 32 pages
- Publisher: IMAGE (1992)
- Language: English
- ASIN: B000N13YRM
- Product Dimensions: 10.3 x 6.8 x 0.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3.2 ounces
- Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (15 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #211,447 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Spawn, #1 (Comic Book) Comic – Color, 1992
|New from||Used from|
Comic-Con Deal: Up to 50% off select Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Comic books
Featured titles are up to 50% off for a limited time. See all titles
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Lt Col Al Simmons was killed and sent to hell but made a deal with the devil that he could return to earth after 5 years to see his wife, Wanda. When he is sent back to earth he is disorientated, not remembering why he's there or the details of what he was sent for. He is now one of hells minions complete with powers which he first uses to save a woman from being gang raped.
Also on earth is The Clown/Violator who is there to keep an eye on Spawn but is wreaking havoc, killing off mob bosses by ripping out their hearts. This is keeping detectives Sam and Twitch busy although they feel that they are being mislead somehow.
Loved this, the story and art both drew me in quickly and I'm able to follow the story much better than in the Hellspawn series so this may help me a lot when I go back to it. The art is so different but still amazing, the panels pop with colour and detail and I especially liked how the Clown is drawn much different to Hellspawn but in some ways just as disturbing.
The scene where Spawn is bombarded with memories and has to be comforted by the woman he rescues was a favourite in this issue, a reminder that even though he has superpowers he still has weaknesses.
A great start to the series.
On the other hand, if you're buying this as a collectible, read on. There were two distinct print runs for Spawn #1: one version was the "direct edition" print run that comic shops ordered on a non-returnable basis; the other version was the "newsstand edition" where copies sat on the newsstands waiting for buyers and any unsold copies could be returned for a refund. To distinguish these returnable copies from the non-returnable copies sold to comic shops, the "newsstand edition" print run were printed with a UPC code on the bottom left corner of the front cover. (Any returned copy lacking the UPC code was refused refund -- this prevented comic shops from buying at their discount and pocketing the spread on returns).
Here's where things get interesting: In 2013 industry heavyweight Marvel finally ended newsstand distribution entirely, and timed with the demise of that distribution channel, comic book industry insiders started to reveal information about distribution numbers that they had previously held close to the vest. Industry insider Chuck Rozanski revealed that when Image Comics launched itself in 1992, they distributed a full 99% of their comic books as the direct editions sold to comic shops. The remaining 1% of distribution was the newsstand editions, i.e. the copies with UPC codes on the cover.
Now: if you search for information on the print run numbers for Spawn #1, you will find that this was an absolute smash hit success and it is widely believed that Image broke the MILLION copy mark for TOTAL sales.Read more ›