- Create your FREE Amazon Business account to save up to 10% with Business-only prices and free shipping.
Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
An award-winning news anchor presents methods for better communication in any business environment
During her 20 years in broadcasting, award-winning news anchor Suzanne Bates conducted more than 10,000 interviews, during which she witnessed business leaders, politicians, and celebrities at their best and worst. Now a top CEO communication coach, Bates is renowned for her uncanny ability to transform even the shyest oratorical mouse into a public-speaking lion. In Speak Like a CEO, Bates:
- Reveals the secrets for communicating in any situation
- Describes simple techniques for acing speeches, presentations, media interviews, Q&A sessions, business meetings, and more
- Outlines self-improvement plans that can easily be customized to your needs
- Shares secrets from top leaders, including Mario Cuomo's technique for overcoming stage fright and Colin Powell's secret for projecting authenticity
Frequently bought together
Special offers and product promotions
From the Publisher
Suzanne Bates is a communication consultant to a host of prestigious clients, including Mellon Financial, State Street Bank, Ernst & Young, Sun Life, Dreyfus, Citistreet, Sepracor, and Cabot Corporation. For two decades she was a top-rated anchor with WBZ-TV, Boston; WCAU, Philadelphia; and WFLA-TV, Tampa-St. Petersburg. She is a member of the Leadership Council of Harvard University's Center for Business and Government and is an Associated Press News Award winner. For more information, visit www.speaklikeaceo.com.
From the Back Cover
On your rise to the top, hard work and experience are important, but they can take you only so far. To lead in your industry or profession, you must be ready to assume the leader's speaking role. In survey after survey, the number-one skill determined to be indispensable to leaders is communication. Must you be born with this talent, or can you learn how to command a room?
In Speak like a CEO Suzanne Bates proves that you don't have to be a natural-born speaker to develop a compelling communication style all your own. Whether you're in the corner office or the Oval Office, at the dining room table or before an audience of millions, you'll find a blueprint to speak like a leader and get results. Not another one-size-fits-all guide to better presentations or public speaking, Speak like a CEO is a sophisticated approach based on the philosophy that successful leaders have their own unique communication styles. Its self-assessments, exercises, and customizable self-improvement plans let you zero in on your strengths as a communicator and discover your natural abilities.
As an award-winning news anchor, Bates interviewed more than ten thousand business and political leaders, celebrities, and newsmakers--and she saw them at their best and worst. Now a sought-after executive trainer with national and international clients, she is renowned for her ability to transform leaders who avoid the spotlight into bold, confident, natural speakers. In Speak like a CEO, she arms you with the same techniques that have helped her clients become communicators extraordinaire. You'll find tricks of the trade, whether speaking in front of crowds and cameras or one-on-one.
Speak like a CEO also offers you a chance to learn from the masters. You will be inspired by the advice and experience of leaders including Rudolph Giuliani, Mario Cuomo, Colin Powell, Oprah Winfrey, Jack Welch, and Richard Branson. You'll learn techniques of Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, and even Abraham Lincoln. Speak like a CEO shows you how to:
- Overcome pressure and project a relaxed, comfortable presence
- Warm up any meeting and keep your audience engaged
- Discover your own authentic way to communicate
- Handle difficult conversations, interviews, and questions with confidence
- Ace the most challenging situations, including speeches, presentations, media interviews, Q&A sessions, business meetings, public debates, and more
- Create a simple, step-by-step plan so that you master every aspect of speaking
Your guide to handling any communication challenge like a pro, Speak like a CEO is one resource you don't want to be without. Whether you're on your way to the top or you've already arrived, you'll refer to it again and again.
"Speak like a CEO is a must-read for any professional who recognizes the key to success: building relationships. Whether you're giving a speech, meeting with employees, or networking with potential customers, this book will teach you how to master the art of communication so you can convey your message with warmth, authenticity, and conviction. If you want a big edge over the competition, you need to read this book!"
--Cheryl Richardson, author of Take Time for Your Life
"In Speak Like a CEO Suzanne Bates provides clear and wise advice on how to find our authentic voice. This is a truly valuable book."
Ken Blanchard, Co-author The One-Minute Manager® and The Secret
"It is neither the smartest nor the hardest working CEOs who succeed in business. It is the ones who best communicate their firm's vision to customers, vendors, and employees. Speak like a CEO shows you how."
--Tom Stemberg, CEO of Staples
"Must reading for anybody who wants to make a connection--whether it's through a TV screen, in a boardroom, or on a stage."
--Miles O'Brien, CNN news anchor
"Suzanne Bates's advice is concise and practical. Communication within your organization and with the media is critical to image and success. This book will help every executive do a better job."
--Chris Hansen, Dateline NBC
"Suzanne Bates's book provides a wealth of usable information in an easy-to-use format that will prove useful and effective for leaders in all sectors: public, private, or not-for-profit."
--Jane Swift, former governor of Massachusetts
Award-winning news anchor and top CEO communication coach Suzanne Bates arms you with powerful tools for crafting an authentic communication style all your own. And, with the help of examples from many of the all-time great communicators, she schools you in proven techniques for acing any communication challenge, including speeches, presentations, media interviews, toasts, and more.
- Publisher : McGraw-Hill Education; 1st edition (April 21, 2005)
- Language : English
- Hardcover : 240 pages
- ISBN-10 : 007145151X
- ISBN-13 : 978-0071451512
- Item Weight : 1.09 pounds
- Dimensions : 6.1 x 0.86 x 9.1 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #585,484 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
About the author
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The author sets the following goals to the reader:
- keynote speaking goals: write and speak with clarity; learn to use stories to make points; develop humor and be comfortable with it; make better eye contact; appear completely comfortable and relaxed in front of the audience; use voice more effectively; speak more conversationally;
- presentation skills goals: develop confident, relaxed presentation style; present technical material so everyone understands; show relevance of solutions to audience needs; learn techniques for persuading an audience; stand in front without a podium, with confidence; use hands and gestures effectively; improve professional appearance;
- media training: develop confidence speaking to reporters; present ideas clearly and concisely; manage interviews with confidence; develop new strategies to prepare for interviews; speak in sound bites with energy and enthusiasm; deliver opinion effectively; know how to handle tough questions; show more on-camera pose for television; stay on message and deliver key points without wandering
- presentation, speech, media: speak with clarity about vision; appear comfortable and confident with board of directors; fine-tune answers to tough questions from unhappy customers; deliver strong message to media; speak conversationally to employees; motivate and inspire people to overcome a difficult solution.
There is a references and further reading section in this book . Besides the list of books that the author suggests, I can recommend "The Articulate Executive: Learn to Look, Act, and Sound Like a Leader" by Granville N. Toogood and the famous classic titles by Dale Carnegie: like "The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking" and "How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People By Public Speaking".
The single most important concept of this book is that communication is critical and central to a C-level executive. Nothing is more important than communication when running an organization. In fact, C-level executives spends a substantial portion of their time, if not most of their time, communicating (listening, questioning, answering, motivating, explaining etc) with other people. A C-level executive cannot be successful without having great communication skills.
Since effective communication is important, the author suggests few ways, such as hiring a speechwriter and a communications consultant, for most CEOs. At a minimum, every C-level executive should have a communication improvement plan.
I would like to give this book 3.5 stars. This isn't a bad book. It is just that books can't possibly make anyone a better communicator. Books can only enhance one's knowledge of what makes a good communicator, which is like understanding what makes a good chess player, but such understanding will never turn anyone into a good chess player himself.
Top reviews from other countries
i think this a good book it lays a good foundation to build through courses and i think this book is for everyone as we communicate all the time, helps to improve your interactions at work, peers, friends etc. I recommend it for people who want to improve their communication skills.