Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18 reviews
on January 4, 2013
I really love dying my hair bright purple, and every time I have ever dyed it purple I've used Special Effects Dye. I decided one day that I wanted to try a new shade of purple and instead of buying my usual "Pimpin Purple" from Special Effects, I tried this one. Big mistake. My hair was already reasonably bright purple, and has been purple for 8 months now, it is even bleached, I just wanted to touch it up since a few spots had faded. I bought 2 bottles and put it on, I even let it sit for 4 HOURS, and it looks EXACTLY the same. It didn't even cover the faded spots. This color of dye is definitely the worst Special Effects Dye I've used, it was more watery as I spread it through my hair, and like someone else said, more like a glaze. If you like purple, I'd definitely still suggest Special Effects Dyes, just not this one. Pimpin Purple works extremely well in comparison.
on May 6, 2013
If it sounds like I'm pissed, it's because I just had to run out to the store and grab splat hair dye and all they had was red.

Let me start by saying that I love special effects hair dye, and have used it before with success.

As soon as I started applying this one to my hair, however, I knew something was wrong. It's not the same consistency as other dyes, and it wasn't as strong a color. When I put it on my hair, it didn't look like it was really "sticking".

An hour later I took the color out, and there was NO CHANGE. It looked just like right after I bleached it. This color SUCKS.
review image
on June 19, 2017
For some reason, the glow doesn't show up in black light idk if it's old or what
on October 3, 2016
I love Special Effects and have been using it for 13 years. I only ever need to dye my hair because of my roots, not because of the color faded. I've used many different colors of Special Effects over the year. This color did stay in at all. I left it in for 2 hours and it completely washed out and looked like I never put it in the first place. I couldn't believe it! This color is WORTHLESS.
on September 3, 2016
My hair was already bleached and dyed purple by a professional, who recommended I refresh the color once it wore out. He highly recommended the Special Effects brand. Much like many of the other reviewers, I saw no difference after leaving this product in my hair for over an hour wrapped in plastic. What a waste of money. I tried the Arctic Fox violet dream a few days later and it worked great.
on June 23, 2015
Bought this to do highlights in my daughter's hair. She has med blonde hair. I also purchased a highlighting cap and all the accessories. Got her hair pulled through the cap and brushed on Joyride color. Bottle recommended to keep on for up to 30 minutes. I left it on for an hour. Rinsed her hair out. You can't even tell I colored it. Looks exactly the same as before. Horrible.
on September 26, 2016
This product did not even tint my bleached hair. The worst product I have ever wasted money on. DO NOT purchase this dye unless you want to waste your money as well. Angry and disappointed.
on December 22, 2014
Works alright for short term hair color. Fades fairly quickly and will get all over your towels and sheets, so use dark linens. The best brand of purple hair color I have found is Pravana vivids.
on October 23, 2015
even on blonde hair, it didn't really come out to the colour on the bottle. When it comes to getting colourful hair, I'd just stick to going to a salon and have a hairstylist do it.
on July 31, 2015
Like others, color did not take in hair. Looked grey. Bought another special effects color and turned out great.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.