Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 45 reviews
on December 17, 2012
Yes, this book has a Young Adult Sci-Fi theme. The main Character Rys has known only war for half of his 17 years. He started training for War as a child, and has fought a losing battle to save his home for 3 years. After his colony is destroyed he and his teams are taken in by their allies. Because they are young they are placed into high schools to assimilate. As a back drop to all of this, it seems that their implacable foe has now set their sights on his new home. Can his teams maintain their cover as high school students and ferret out the evil plans of their enemies?

All the characters from the main two to the supporting cast are well fleshed out with distinct personalities. Lots of good dialog and a fast paced story. This is a feel good story and not a gritty mess of blood, guts, war, violence or sex. PG rated at best for some mild violence. Not even PG-13.
on December 15, 2012
Since the Kindle came out there have been many authors that have published books. The quality ranging from crap to Oh My God!, he does not have a book contract?! For me personally I believe this author can easily hang with the big boys in the Fantasy and now the SciFi categories. The author previously published only fantasy books and some one you might be worried how the author does in the SciFi category, please don't worry, the author has done a great job. I will not go into the plot about the book because the author provides a very good one. But I will warn you, when you start reading the book, it will nearly impossible to put the book down until you are done! Excellent work Honor Raconteur and I am looking forward to all your future works!
on November 19, 2016
This is my favorite book by Raconteur. I really enjoy her style of writing and the characterization she provides. The sarcastic humor, genuine emotion, and clean content found in her novels are immensely appreciated as well. I really hope that an audio adaptation of this novel is made in the near future and would recommend Mark McLain Wilson as the narrator. He truly captures the personality of the characters in the Magus series and I can just hear the narration in my mind as I read through Rys and Gremlin's interactions. My Thanks to Honor Raconteur and I look forwards to many more great stories in the future.
on May 13, 2013
I loved this book! The story is excellent and I couldn't put the book down.

Hey, it's supposed to be for young adults, but you may disregard that as the main character is 17 going on 30. He entered the military academy on his own world at age 8, graduated and is a captain in the special forces at age 17. He leads one of several special forces teams of 4 people who are put undercover with foster families and attending high school on a new world.

Having known nothing but war for his whole life, interacting with the normal high schooler is "interesting." He matures a lot during his time in school, dealing with girls, envious boys and teachers, all the while working with his, and other, teams to prevent an attack by the same planet who destroyed his home world.

The story is well laid out and moves along at a good pace. I finished the book in 1 day as I tend to skim a lot on the first read. Special Forces 01 will definitely get a second and more thorough and enjoyable read later on.

Special Forces 01 is a good start of a series. I hope Honor Raconteur continues with more volumes about the Special Forces 01 unit in the future. I have already gone to her page on Amazon and signed up for an email when another of her books comes out.
on July 14, 2014
I love it. I don't know how many times I've read it since I bought it, but probably one time too many. It's in real Honor Raconteur style, there is no real villain, no single guy you can point to and say "That's him, the evil one!" and I love it, it seems more realistic this way. The people in this book somehow feel real, and I've caught myself thinking "What would he/she do?" or "He/she would love that" a couple of times. And that's how I know this book is good, because I read a lot of books, my kindle library alone is around 700 books and the fact that this is one of the few that I remember the title, the author AND the name of the main characters still AND want to read it again is enough for me to place this one on a pedestal. Thank you Honor Raconteur for your excellent books, keep writing and I'll keep buyin', readin', lovinin' and readin' again!
on January 8, 2013
OK how deep did you expect a book to be, when it is about teenage soldiers who started training when they were eight? For every boy who was ever been bullied in school, imagine a trained killer reaction to being threatened with a baseball bat by the local bully. To every mother who hates the juvenile delinquents her daughter brings home imagine one who calls her miss, says yes mam, helps the widow next door paint her house and helps with dinner. For every girl tired of fighting off an hormonal driven teenage boy who has somehow turned into an octopus imagine a polite, handsome, hunk who dates you for months before trying for the first kiss.

OK uber polite, trained military personnel released into high school to assimilate culture. Drafted when eight so they could assimilate a chip that made them functional super soldiers, but which has to be implanted before you are 10 years old. They were on a secret mission assigned to high school undercover to discover nefarious plot to conquer their host world. OK it moved along fast and fun at first. It was not deep, but was entertaining. Once the threat actually materializes it was a little "childish". But if you can ignore the last 50 pages it was fun escapism and a good quick light read for juveniles or adults.
on January 5, 2013
I read and really enjoyed the Advent Mage series by this author. If you liked that then you'll probably enjoy SF01. While I would probably classify this as young adult fiction, the story is well developed and complete in the sense that this not the first of a series.

If you're expecting anything like other military sci-fi or space opera offerings for Kindle, you'll likely be disappointed. The author makes little or no effort at world building for the late third millenium space-faring future the story is supposed to be set in. Aside from general reference to the main character's off-planet origin and space battle experience, there is no technology that is not either current or easily imagined for twenty years hence.

There are a few technical errors that a good editor should have caught but all in all, the editing is up to the standards this author has set in the Advent series. That is to say, well above average for self-published work.
on December 17, 2012
I am somewhat prejudiced about Honor and her books, having read all of them more than once. This is a new venue for her, but she does a great job with the characters and plot. In addition, the editing on this one is outstanding. Strongly recommend you try this, but be warned - she had other books available and you can get hooked easily.
on December 19, 2012
I had a lot of fun reading this book and it kept me reading straight through. I liked the characters and the story. The setting was also pretty cool, but left me feeling like it should have either been fleshed out more or less. There was enough info there for me to start asking a lot of questions, but not enough to answer them. I also feel like what little action there was in the book (which the writer says was something added at the advice of their editor) detracted from my enjoyment. It's a personal preference, I suppose, but it seemed to draw focus away from what I felt was the real story.

Too bad there won't be a sequel.
on December 27, 2012
This is the first book I have read by this author and I am very impressed. Interesting situation. Well written and edited. Excellent primary and secondary characters that you will like and admire.

This book is a treat for all ages and just makes you feel good.

While worth the $5 cost, there are so many great ebooks at lower price points that I had to subtract a star. At $3 or less I would rate it a full 5 stars.