Oil month Automotive World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on July 15, 2014
I am a longtime buyer of the Special K Protein Meal Chocolate Peanut Butter bars. I use Amazon's subscribe and save option to have them delivered every month because I have one of them for breakfast everyday. That said, I took a bite of my most recent delivery and realized something was different. The taste was slightly off. I compared my newest box to my previous shipment and realized that Special K had changed the formula! (The packaging is also slightly different: useby date is in red on top of the box, red 'good source of antioxidant vitamins C & E' added to front, now labeled 'naturally flavored' instead of 'naturally & artificially flavored' and '170 calories, 3.5g sat fat, 250mg sodium, 15g sugars' now prominently on box front.)

The bars went from 180 calories to 170. Carbohydrates from 25g to 23. The ingredients have also appeared to change. I will try to add pictures of the ingredient labels to the product pictures for those interested.

Overall I did not like the taste, most likely because I've been eating the same bar for months (over a year?) and the change was startling. I loved the old bars and I am unsure if I will continue to order them now. Just an FYI to previous buyers.

Edited to add: I have added the pictures.
review imagereview image
33 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 12, 2010
I eat these on a daily basis, they're that good. I can go weeks of having one or two a day until I start getting burned out, and after a couple of days I'm always ready for another. Special K meal bars have just the kick to last those extra two hours at the end of the day, or replace a junky fast-food breakfast. I feel like I've had a lot less problems with fatigue and stress since I've started keeping one handy all the time; when I start to get tired and grouchy I pop one open, get a short jog around the building, and I'm good to go. I go through about 2-3 boxes a month. After hundreds of bars I'd say the taste and texture could be improved just a little, but they're the only bar I've liked so much, while costing so little, that I eat it constantly. Never had a stale one. Get the subscription, it's so worth it.
on September 22, 2014
I chose the Special K line of meal bars after researching and comparing to other commercial meal bars. The ingredients are good quality and the protein/carbs to calories ratio is acceptable for my weight loss needs. The cost is far better than equivalent products. I found the flavors all tasted great, though strawberry is my favorite. I also found that as a meal substitute, I needed a little more protein, so added a meal replacement shake. That held me over fine to the next meal time. As a snack between meals, this is the product I would recommend most. High protein, low cal and very delicious. I highly recommend this product.
on March 5, 2012
My husband is on a Doctor supervised medical meal replacement diet. I'm doing it with him with over the counter products. This bar is really good. I use them as snacks, as well. I eat half a bar for a mid morning and mid afternoon snack. Sometimes I skip the afternoon and eat the second half for an after dinner snack. It's very tasty - not at all griddy, and satisfies the body's need for protein, and my sweet tooth. I eat a regular food meal (low cal!) for dinner. Please do NOT do this without letting your doc know - especially if you have diabetes, or any other medical issues. My doc has done bloodwork and is monitoring my progress so she can cut down my diabetes and other meds as needed. So far I've cut my metformin in half, and my cholesterol and triglicerides have come down amazingly! Enjoy!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 20, 2010
I eat a high protein meal replacement bar every day for breakfast, and I have lost several pounds. The bar is high in protein, which does keep you fuller longer. By lunchtime I am usually pretty hungry, but I can hold out until lunchtime without a problem. They are a bit dry, so I always have a drink on hand while eating them. The chocolate flavor is great, not that cheap tasting chocolate that usually comes with diet products. The bar has a nice chew, but isn't overly chewy, nor does it stick to the teeth. They have a good flavor - not the best bar I have ever eaten as far as taste goes, but better than tolerable for sure. These bars are lower in fat content to some of the Slim Fast meal replacement bars, which is why I tried them in the first place.

This high fiber bar will keep you feeling full for several hours, and replacing a meal a day with them does create results. Following their diet plan of two meal replacement bars a day with three snack bars will more than likely increase weight loss from the few pounds I have lost eating one bar a day.
on March 12, 2016
I liked to keep snack bars around for the late night or missed breakfast moments These were tastier than I expected. I like them and it provides a healthy snack that fills that craving for something sweet without adding to many calories. I want more of them.
on December 10, 2015
My husband and i eat these when we have no time to prepare a lunch and sit down to eat. We tried many protein bars but for some reason this is our favorite, it has a very pleasant taste and it's surprisingly filling, a single bar gets me easily to tea time with no hunger whatsoever... :)
on May 31, 2014
I wanted to get some protein bars so I could substitute a bar for a meal and feel a little decadent at the same time. These bars fill the bill. I wish they weren't so sweet because it must come from sugar and I do like to avoid sugar but there are some sacrifices you have to make in order to be truly decadent. I love the almond flavor, it reminds me of almond paste. Each bar has 180 calories so it should be just one for a meal but it is worth holding back and enjoying the one bar.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 24, 2016
Best protein bars out there. I've tried many brands and this one is the best. Chocolate Peanut Butter is a great flavor. Good balance and can totally be used as a meal substitute. More protein and fewer wasted calories than most bars. The only issue is finding them in stock!
on April 17, 2015
Good value compared to "diet bars" like Nutrisystem. Feels like you're snacking, but you're getting good protein in a meal replacement bar. I have these on Subscribe and Save. Double Chocolate, Chocolate Caramel, Strawberry - all very tasty. Much better tasting than South Beach bars.