Speck Products See Thru Satin Case for MacBook Pro 15-Inch Aluminum Unibody Only, Black
|Price:||$49.95 & FREE Shipping. Details|
Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item.
- Fits 15-inch aluminum unibody Macbooks including June 2012 new releases
- Silky-smooth soft-touch hard shell protection.
- Protects your MacBook Pro from scrapes and scratches.
- Smooth yet grippy rubberized exterior texture.
- Fully vented for safe heat disbursement.
- Totally removable - easy to put on and take off.
- Access to all ports, battery check button, Kensington lock, CD/DVD drive.
- Built-in rubberized feet keep your notebook stable and secure.
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Protect your MacBook Pro with this sleek two-piece hard-shell case featuring a grippy, "soft-touch" frosted finish.
Durable Hard-Shell Design
Made from hard, shatter-proof polycarbonate plastic, SeeThru SATIN is built for form-fitting, long-lasting protection. And the two-piece shell is convenient to take on and off.
Satiny Soft-Touch Feel
Available in a wide range of colors to match your style, the matte, soft-touch finish of this case adds grippy feel while highlighting the fine design of your MacBook Pro.
Thin, Lightweight and Protective
The slim and sleek design keeps your MacBook Pro securely protected without weighing it down.
Rubber Feet for Stability
Four rubbery feet on the bottom of the case keep your laptop from sliding around. Vent slots allow for safe heat dispersement.
Founded by a group of creative design engineers, Speck makes form-fitting and delightfully functional cases designed to protect and enhance your smartphones, iPods, MacBooks, and tablets. Speck designers are excited by technology, fanatical about gadgets, highly detail-oriented, and obsessed with creating top-quality, fun-to-use products that people love.
Which Speck MacBook Case Fits You?
Protect what matters
|MacBook Air |
Not sure what you have?
|11" | 13"||11" | 13"||--|
|MacBook Pro |
Not sure what you have?
|13" | 15" | 17"||13" | 15" | 17"||13" | 15"|
|Available Colors||Wide variety of translucent colors plus clear||Wide variety of elegant soft-touch colors and black||Variety of fabric backed options from traditional to fashion-forward|
(MacBook Pro Models)
|Glossy snap-on hard shell with integrated venting and feet||Soft-touch snap-on hard shell with integrated venting and feet||--|
(MacBook Air Models)
|Ultra-thin and lightweight (1.2mm) snap-on hard shell with patent-pending anti-tip feet||Ultra-thin and lightweight (1.2mm) snap-on hard shell with patent-pending anti-tip feet||--|
|Materials||Polycarbonate||Polycarbonate||Polycarbonate + Fabric Backing|
|Warranty||1 year||1 year||1 year|
Top Customer Reviews
That being said, here are the main criticisms I've heard about the Speck MacBook cases:
1) "They add so much weight" - Absolutely not true. Personally, I think the MacBooks are pretty heavy to begin with. And while the Speck cases tend to be heavy for a case, it's still a fraction of a pound. It's not noticeable at all. Trust me.
2) "They're horrible for heat dissipation" - Again, not true. The newer MacBooks mostly dissipate heat through vents along the back of the unit, directly under the screen, which are left uncovered by the case. There's also a slotted opening on the bottom of the unit where another cooling fan is located, which the case accommodates with slotted openings in the same place. Does the machine run hotter? Possibly, but it's negligible and is no cause for concern.
3) "The case doesn't fit tightly" - Wrong again. It fits like a glove. Period.
4) "You can't see the lights through the case" - Every single light on the MacBook is visible.
5) "The charger doesn't sit flush with the case on" - I don't THINK the charger is 100% flush, but you probably won't be able to tell. What matters to me is that the charger goes in, charges, and stays put as if there were no case there at all.Read more ›
-Supple plastic shell fits PERFECTLY
-Zero scratching on my aluminum case
-Keeps the heat off your lap and increases sperm count 18%
Alright, I made that last part up -- but it does feel cooler!
Cons: None that I can think of, unless $40 seems a bit high to some people (they'll change their minds when they drop their 'Pro with this shell, or something falls on the lid)
Honestly folks: this is the best 40 bucks you can ever spend to protect a laptop from your own stupidity, as well as everyday wear and tear. Buy one now.
First, the rubbery material that makes it easy to grip is also very easy to scratch. My case even came out of the box with a small scratch on it before it went on my MacBook. I can see how after just a few months this case may look pretty worn. But on the plus side, it certainly will remind you of all the scratches that never made it to your MacBook!
The second and biggest negative for me was it adds too much weight to the MacBook. Specifications says it weighs 1 pound, and to my surprise I felt every ounce of it! It may not seem like much, but a MacBook Pro weighs about 5.6 pounds, so this case increases the weight on your MacBook by 18%. I knew the specs before I got it, but it is amazing how much I feel the additional weight. Combined with the added thickness, it transformed a svelte laptop and made it "chunkier." It also made it harder to fit in laptop bags with padded compartments such as the laptop sleeve in a Timbuk2 case.
Since all I wanted was to protect my MacBook from scratches, the added bulk is not a compromise I was willing to settle for. I have opted to use a stick-on skin instead. The case simply did not meet my needs, but it is a very good case that can be a great fit for the right need especially if it is your primary protection such as carrying it around without a bag/sleeve or using in a travel bag with minimal or no padding.
I have had this cover for about 6 months and it is just now starting to show signs of wear on the corners. This is most likely caused from taking it in and out of my bag while at the airport (I travel about 75% of the year).
I highly recommend this case to protect your mac book!!!!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
It was a good case for a while. The soft coating on it eventually started to peel and chip and left it looking dirty and worn.Published 8 days ago by Johanna
The cases bottom brackets to hold it in place break. On top of that it pinches your legs when you open it on your lap. SAFETY ISSUE.Published 5 months ago by Guinis Lornet
As much as I love the concept of having my laptop protected from scratches and the look of the Speck cases, I won't be ordering any more. I'm on my second case. Read morePublished 8 months ago by Deanna I. Kauten
I've always been a speck fan, and so far, it seems like I always will be. I have always used their iPhone cases and laptop cases. Read morePublished 10 months ago by Meagan L.
It totally does what it is supposed to, but what they don't tell you is how much heavier it makes your laptop setup.Published 13 months ago by Devon Frohne