Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 814 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 896 reviews
I was hoping for a slim case for my MacBook Pro and this seemed to be the best option available based on prior reviews. The case does fit great, no doubt about that. Simple clicks around the edges and you're good to go. However, the case is heavy, it adds significant weight to the Mac Book. Also, it's a bland case, it completely takes away the beauty of the Mac. It makes it look like one big piece of black plastic from the outside. All the reviewers raving about how the Apple logo is visible from the back, well, it's barely visible, you can see it only if you are sitting really close to the Mac, and that too it's very faint.

Fit and functionality - 5 for sure. Aesthetics and design - 0.5. I am still looking for a better designed case, but this will do for now.
on January 2, 2011
I have had my MacBook Pro 13" for a few months and I realized that I needed to protect it against scratches and other damage. I debated between this case (cover) and ones made by MCover, another popular manufacturer, which sells covers on this site.

GREEN mCover® Hard Shell Case for 13-inch aluminum A1278 MacBook Pro (13.3-inch diagonal screen, Black Keyboard)

The MCover products are less expensive and come in beautiful colors (the green looks yummy) that called out to me, but I ultimately purchased this Speck cover because the comments indicated that it fit well and better than its competitor. The case arrived promptly (thanks, Prime!) and surpasses my expectations. The purple is an elegant, deep shade, and the Apple logo shines through as a lighter lavender color. Quite attractive. The fit is perfect. Putting the case on took about 15 seconds .... just brush off the Mac and pop on the bottom part of the case and then the top part. No extra parts to worry with. I haven't noticed the extra ounces added by the case to the weight of the computer.

I haven't figured out how Speck manages it but the plastic case actually does feel pleasantly soft, almost as if it had a touch of rubber in it.

An unexpected bonus: I find that I actually like the purple BETTER than the original aluminum. I know that purists love the aluminum but, frankly, I found it literally and figuratively cold. The cover takes the chill off the exterior metal and is psychologically warmer and friendlier. My teenage son, who never likes ANYTHING his middle-aged mother likes, grudgingly volunteered that even HE likes the cover. Truly, it is a successful product when both mom and teen agree!
77 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2017
I've has this computer case on my computer since I got it in 2011 and it's still kicking! Recently, one of the corners chipped but it still stays on fairly well and does the job. This case has been truly tested, since I"m hard on electronics, and has proved well worth the money. It's allowed for me to apply and remove stickers multiple times with no visible remains after removal. Lightweight and gets the job done! I have gotten scratches on my computer over time by particles getting inside of it but I can't imagine that I would have avoided these small scratches if I had simply had it naked. Very happy with this investment!
on April 24, 2011
I had three concerns before ordering the " Speck See Thru Satin, Soft Touch Hard Shell Case, for 13-inch MacBook Aluminum Unibody.

1-I was concerned that Speck Shell might not fit newest MacBook Pro 13".
(Happy to report the fit is perfect, the Shell case snapped easily and tightly into place).

2- I thought it was a shame to conceal the sleek aluminum MBP body, but the threat of scratching made me reconsider.
(I am very pleased with the appearance in the Speck Shell. Additionally though adding a bit of bulk to the MacBook Pro, it's soft touch finish provides a much more slip resistant surface).

3- Would the Shell add too much "bulk" to the computer's dimensions so it would not fit in my Sleeve.
(I also ordered the "Tucano Second Skin Script Microfiber Sleeve For MacBook, 13.3". Due to the bulk added with the Speck Shell case, I was concerned that the MacBook Pro would not fit into the Second Skin Sleeve. Initially it was a tight fit, but with repeated use, the Second Skin Sleeve has relaxed a bit so the fit is perfect).Tucano USA Second Skin Script Microfiber Sleeve For MacBook, 13.3" Color: Gray

Overall, I was skeptical of adding the Speck Shell Case, but having received it some weeks ago, I am now very pleased with the product.
I have used Speck products before for various Apple items and I definitely equate the name with quality. When I look for cases, I have learned to put "Speck" on the top of my list. I've been pleased with the fit and finish of their products and they have not disappointed me.

I owned a former model for an older laptop Speck Products See Thru Hard Case for 15-Inch Macbook Pro (Clear) Will Not Fit The Notebook With the Black Keys and it fit like a charm. It was a clear, stiff plastic case that added a layer of protection that was nice. I wore the cover down with the notebook.

Today, I received this new, black "satin" finish Speck cover and I LOVE IT way more than the clear case. It's soft and provides a bit of grip without providing much bulk. My MacBook Pro 13" is the brand new just released version Apple MacBook Pro MC700LL/A 13.3-Inch Laptop. This case fits the unibody like a glove and adds just a little bit of style to an already beautiful laptop.

I noticed that some people mentioned that there was no microfiber cloth included in their version of the Speck Hard Shell case. I would have to concur - no cloth. But in Speck's defense, I did not see mention of a cloth anywhere on the product itself. While my older Speck case listed above came with an orange cloth, this one did not. No big deal to me ... but I just wanted to mention what I have seen.

5 stars, no mention of a cloth on the packaging .... a very sleek look and a great feel.

Delicious!
on January 27, 2011
Not a bad case, but the one I received had something wrong with the upper right bottom section tab. The lip was not as large as the others causing it to slide off all the time. Also had some dings on the top cover which could have been caused by the packaging. The style looks nice and I have ordered another one to see if it does better. If so, I will raise my star rating on it. I am glad the price is much lower than the $50 MSRP which I think is WAY over priced.

Also, not a big deal since I have several, but the Speck instructional video on their site clearly states to use the INCLUDED cloth to wipe down your computer and case. I didn't get one.

As for the additional weight and bulk...I thought the same as many others. It seemed like it added a bunch, but I now believe that was more imagination than anything. It only adds 13 ounces which is not bad for a hard cover case. The texture is nice, but not as grippy as many have stated. It is soft though and I like it.
on March 9, 2011
Like the other reviews the color doesn't match the picture BUT I LOVE IT!!! It is hot pink like people said but it's great! If you like pink you'll love the color. Besides the color the product is great. Durable, easy install, and the apple shines through well. I love this product and will probably buy another one. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

A lot of these reviews talk about how the case adds weight.... well you are ADDING something to your computer. Of course it's going to weigh more. The added weight it extremely minimal. A lot of people also comment on how the case gets fingerprints or gets dirty. I feel like these are illogical comments. Of course it gets dirty if your a dirty person. And you can't see fingerprints unless you hold it up to the light and look for them. The satin case hides most anything!

I think this products adds to the overall look and style of my Macbook Pro. You'll definitely enjoy the product. I get lots of complements on it. The case fits like a glove. IN FACT, it fits so well people think that the computer is actually pink. One girl even said 'I didn't know Mac sold pink computers!'.

As I said before, this is a great product, its durable, and overall the best product out on the market for a Mac. You'll be pleased with your purchase.
on March 7, 2016
This review is for the Speck Case for my 13" MacBook Pro
Great purchase and it protected my MacBook throughout the years! I purchased the cherry red one and it was definitely a deep red burgundy color. The picture does it justice and matched the item perfectly. I've dropped my laptop once or twice accidentally but thankfully it survived with no problems whatsoever. Great investment to keep your mac looking like new!
Hope my review helps! (feel free to click on "yes" if it does! ^_^)
on November 12, 2012
I love this case! I got it in purple, my favorite color, and if we're looking at style, it gives a unique, personalized look to my laptop that not many other people have. It is translucent so the Apple is illuminated through the purple case which looks cool, but the case has a matte finish to the outside which means no fingerprints and no glare which equals perfection. I've got many compliments on my case.

In functionality, it does add weight to your laptop (but so will any case). I think it is worth the extra weight because ever since I have had it on, I am not worried about my computer being protected against scratches and hitting corners of tables because it has this extra layer of protection on it. The case itself has a couple of minor scratches along the side, but it is not a big deal at all. I never see them, and I'd rather my $40 case be scratched than the $1500 laptop inside it.

Unfortunately, the case covers my battery check button on the left side of the laptop. For some reason, when I press the button on the case, it does not press the button on the laptop. The hole just doesn't line up correctly. I have seen it work a couple times but I really had to press the case button very hard, and it is not worth it. When it lights up though, there is no trouble in seeing how many green dots there are through the purple case. I returned my first case that did this and Amazon was very helpful and gave me a brand new one. It unfortunately had the same problem so I'm not sure if it's the purple case only, or the batch of purple cases I purchased from, but it is the only thing that is wrong with the case. I have learned to live with it, and I never press that button anyway because I open my computer to see how much battery is left.

There are little clips/edges that hold the bottom case onto the bottom of the laptop, and over the past 18 months they have started to wear down because I have always been rough with my computer/case. So the little edges have broke off of some of the corners but it still stays securely attached to the bottom half of the laptop. It is just a little plastic tab that falls off when that happens.

If this case were ever to break, I would gladly get another one. I recommend getting this case because it is sleek, functional, and really does protect your computer.
on December 29, 2012
I got this case over 2 years ago, and it is still going strong. This case has been through so much. I've dropped it about three feet onto linoleum, and my mac was scratch free. I place my laptop next to my bed and forget about it when I wake up, and I've stepped onto my laptop a million times, and nothing has ever happened. I've travelled abroad with it for 5 months in lots of places with sand and never had an issue when I had to bring it to the beach since I had limited luggage. This case is durable. I'm so confident when my mac is in the case that I'm actually pretty reckless with my laptop and throw it around quite a bit. If you're looking for a case that is good for traveling between work, school, and other places, this is it. After two years, the only thing giving away its age is that some of the "satin" parts on the front cover have peeled away to expose a shinier layer. It's really not that noticeable with the black case though. Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes the dust between the laptop and case can pile up and sometimes the bottom part of the case gets a gritty feeling and pulls away from the laptop. It's an easy fix though and I've probably only wiped the case down with water 4 times since I've had the case. If this case ever breaks, I will certainly buy another one right away.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question