Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 85% on textbooks Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ariana Grande New LG V35 ThinQ | $699.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on December 5, 2012
As the title of this review says, this is my first bow, please keep in mind that the review is made by a novice first time shooter. With that said, the last couple of months I've been upgrading my camping gear and while shopping on Amazon came across the Spectre Compact Take-down survival Bow and Arrow Set(I later found the company's website is actually xpectre.com) and after doing a bit of looking around, first thing I noticed is that for the price, I simply couldn't find anything like it anywhere especially for the price. The fact that it breaks down is great and I was able to pack it easily(which was a big selling point for me). All the other bows on Amazon in the same price range and more are all listed as "youth" bows. The set arrived at my house a day before the estimated delivery date so that was the first good sign.

Once I got it, I found that it went together very easily and after I got it all setup it felt like a good solid product and not some cheap plastic toy (actually the only plastic part on this bow is the arrow rest, which even the replacement I got from my local Archery shop is also plastic so I guess for that type of arrow rest, it's normal). A friend suggested that I go to a range to maybe pick up some pointers from the regulars there and he was absolutely right about that! I went to a local range and it was great to get some tips from the folks there and best part was I wasn't laughed out of the place for having this bow.

The only thing though is at the range they have a scale setup that tells you how many pounds draw a bow is. One of the employees put this bow on their scale and it drew only about 30lbs. The listing says that it's 50/55lbs... I emailed Spectre to let them know... I received an email back very quickly and was told that my order was for the 30/35lbs model, but given their Christmas spirit, they will send out the 50/55lbs limbs and string for no extra charge! Merry Christmas for sure! So that's also an A+ for customer service!

I would highly suggest once you purchase this Bow and Arrow set to send the Spectre (xpectre.com) an email and let them know which draw weight you want to purchase. The Amazon listing says it's 50/55lbs and it's the only option from Amazon.com but off of the company's website you can get either a 35lbs, 45lbs, or 55lbs version. So somehow I imagine getting it from Amazon and not direct from their site and not having a dropdown menu to choose which version, it could have been an easy mistake or confusion to make etc.. all in all though Spectre (xpectre.com) stepped up and said they will correct it without having to go back and forth a million times and that's great in my book. The email exchange and the promise to send me the limbs was just today and I was told that they will ship me the 50/55lbs limbs and strings tomorrow.. so I'm looking forward to that and seeing the real power of the Spectre Compact Take-Down Survival Bow and Arrow set. Oh.. and the arrows are real carbon arrows and not some cheap things they just throw in and they come with very good field tips (yes, I'm learning more and more each day it seems ;-))..

Well, I hope this review helps someone out.. as I said, I'm very new to Archery so if you are too, maybe you have some of the same concerns and thoughts as me before getting into it. If you want to spend a few bucks to see if you actually enjoy the sport first this is a great setup.. even if you end up with an expensive compound bow later, you still can have use for this bow and especially given that it breaks down and all of it fits in the quiver, it's a great deal that comes with great customer service... Also want to add that this bow as well as all products from Spectre (from what I've been told from them) are all made in the USA! And that's just another reason that makes this purchase a good one for me.
140 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on January 23, 2017
The bow itself gets the stars. The arrows I received did not take down, but were cheap carbon fiber arrows. The bodkin points they came with are very nice, and can be removed to put in a better arrow. Only other gripe is....I think the bow would be better without the shelf. The bow is great and exceeded my expectations immensely. It's a great simple bow for its purpose, or to use as a hunting bow. I highly recommend to anybody needing a bow for any reason.
3 people found this helpful
on May 4, 2017
Ok bow for the money. I had to wrap some paracord around the grip for comfort and the rest isn't very good either so i had to make one. The string doesn't come with a nock and the screws came loose after use. The arrows all broke under moderate use and i had to get new ones. It's a nice bow once you fix it up but tbh i shouldn't have to fix anything. The product should just WORK.
3 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on April 1, 2015
Arrived on time, but I would recommend cleaning it with a damp cloth after you string it...The fiberglass left tiny little invisible splinter shards in my hand after firing, and they were there at least a day after i thought i got them all... plus they shipped the wrong one the first time, just a 35 lb one when i ordered the 55 lb. They fixed it though, but still...kinda shady on the product specs, and sloppy on the finished product. 3 stars, because I HATE SPLINTERS!!!!
9 people found this helpful
on July 21, 2017
Great, intelligently made, and versatile survival bow. I love this bow because I can easily use it for both Western/Olympic, Eastern/Traditional/Thumbdraw, and Rapid archery techniques in both my left and right handed stance. I purchased the 35# limbs. It has held up very well for its first roughly 1000 shots. The arrow rest does what it is designed to do quite well, fold in and be ambidextrous. I rest the arrow on my thumb/knuckle and removed the rest because of preference. I recommend purchasing a better rest (the adhesive kind that sticks on the bow) if folding in and ambidexterity aren't an important factor to you as it would be more consistent in my opinion. It also takes down into a very compact form. Would purchase again.
on December 27, 2015
this bow is a wonderful piece to have, i absolutely love it, ive shot bows for years, and this is my favorite bow ive ever shot, its compact, you can break it down, and you can use more ancient styles of shooting, like lars anderson practices, i highly recommend adding this piece to your arsenal
5 people found this helpful
on February 6, 2014
The Spectre Compact etc. has the simplicity of design which makes it quick and easy to assemble or disassemble. The design is almost foolproof--string it backwards or dry-fire the bow (firing without an arrow on the string) could damage the limbs (possibly leading to a shattered limb on the bow and an impaled limb for you). As other reviewers have noted previously, the string nocks need smoothing when you get it. The wire arrow shelf is functional, though crude and the wire succumbed to metal fatigue and broke off after a few times of being bent out for shooting and folded back for storage, so I removed it entirely. I find the grip a little small for my hand, but I have big hands, so I wanted to wrap the grip anyway, my wrapping makes the grip fit my hand better and makes is much warmer when out in cold weather (which has been sub-zero recently). I'm planning on making a simple L-shaped arrow rest that I can insert into the wrapping wherever I want it depending on wether I'm going to shoot right or left handed or if I'm practicing the Mongolian release. By the way, a big factor in my choice of this bow was the fact that the simple design lends itself to such flexibility of style in shooting.

It has a few minor problems, but all are readily fixed, thus a solid 4 Star Rating--at least for my criteria of what a basic bow should be.
10 people found this helpful
on April 23, 2015
Very portable and easily put together. Shoots well. You will have to buy a finger tab and arm guard separately but I like having an emergency bow.
6 people found this helpful
on February 14, 2015
One of the limbs broke on my second shot. This bow is not designed for use for anyone over about four feet. It broke at about a quarter draw.
7 people found this helpful
on January 6, 2018
This is my first bow and it really work great easy to use and shoot great,I really never expect that this bow would produce a good quality shot,until my first shot is really great overall it’s a good great quality purchase thanks:))
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.