- File Size: 16089 KB
- Print Length: 400 pages
- Publisher: Ballantine Books; 1 Har/DVD edition (December 26, 2007)
- Publication Date: December 26, 2007
- Sold by: Random House LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B000W96648
- Text-to-Speech: Not enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #55,236 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$24.00|
Save $10.01 (42%)
Random House LLC
Price set by seller.
The Spectrum: How to Customize a Way of Eating and Living Just Right for You and Your Family Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 400 pages||Word Wise: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersFire TabletsFire Phones
- Due to its large file size, this book may take longer to download
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
What I especially love about this book (which I think is his best by far) is that it provides a full spectrum of diet and lifestyle choices that are grounded in science (much of which he and his associates have conducted themselves and published in leading medical journals) yet it's easy to understand and fun to read.
Having been on and off many diets over the years, I like his "spectrum" approach because it doesn't tell me what to eat and do. Instead, it provides a range of choices that allow me to decide what's best for me. It treats the reader with intelligence, which I find empowering and motivating.
One of the main points of this book is that pleasure and joy are sustainable, not fear and guilt, and the recipes in this book (by Art Smith) really reflect that. Works for me!
1. With proper diet, your health will improve without drugs or surgery.
2. With nurturing relationships, you'll feel better and live longer regardless of your health issues.
3. You don't have to feel hungry to lose weight.
Since Dr. Ornish first wrote those important lessons, other researchers have found more reasons for hope:
1. With diet and exercise, even genes that could harm you will be re-set to be helpful.
2. The combined effects of healthy living can multiply into more joy, energy, good moods, and excellent appearance.
3. Many more diseases can be reversed with diet, exercise, relationships, mindfulness, and stress reduction.
In addition, Dr. Ornish has done his own new research showing that prostate cancer can be slowed and somewhat improved through healthier living.
The Spectrum combines these lessons into one book, one source of scientific references, and one way of living for the first time. If you want to live a healthy life that will take you to your full physical and mental potential, The Spectrum is that book.
I've met Dr. Ornish. In person, he's a kind, gentle man who wouldn't ever say a harsh word to anyone. In public, critics have challenged his past ideas about reversing heart disease by saying it's too hard to keep on his pathway.
The Spectrum responds to the critics by explaining how much flexibility we have in each of these areas, depending on what our current health is. For most people, you don't have to be extreme or rigid.Read more ›
The book also has many interesting stories of Dr. Ornish's daily life with his family and explains how his patients are reversing heart disease.
I am a chocolate lover and I really like when he tells how much he enjoys eating some dark chocolate and still maintain the nutritional goals. I also immediately took his thoughtful advice of choosing canola oil instead of olive oil. Dr. Ornish knows why we take wrong decisions and in a very compassionate way he gives us scientifically proven tools to succeed.
The beautifully made DVD by Anne and Dean Ornish is filled with helpful and fun guided meditations that are perfect for harmonizing mind and body and to feel more relaxed. I must admit that I am a fan of them and I bought several copies to give to my friends and loved ones.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Highly recommend reading this if you want to stay healthy, reverse heart disease or follow Dr. OrnishPublished 1 month ago by Maria M.
Using the guidelines in this book, I reversed a long-standing heart blockage that I had been told demanded angioplasty, and I did it in 21 days. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Susan
Well written, encouraging and interesting. One of the few nonfiction books I read all the way through. Lots of good information.Published 1 month ago by Dreamer
My doctor grudging gave me 3 months to make some changes when a routine physical showed my bp was hovering around 150/90 and my cholesterol was 220. Read morePublished 1 month ago by T. Halvorson
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Special Diet
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Aging > Diets & Nutrition
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Other Diets
- Books > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Nutrition
- Books > Self-Help
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Cookbooks, Food & Wine > Special Diet > Healthy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Diets & Weight Loss > Diets > Healthy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Aging
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Health, Fitness & Dieting > Personal Health > Healthy Living