Amazon Business World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 368 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 638 reviews
on April 7, 2017
You either like Keanu or you don't. This film is typical Keanu stuff, with him looking good and very capable with the physical part of his role, while mumbling and stumbling thru his dialog; Ah, blah mum mum blah ah, mum hmmm . . .

Anyway, this film features Dennis Hopper (a whacko from WAY back, try "Easy Rider" with Jack Nicholson circa 1968?) who hatches a bazaar plot to extort money from some California city (LA?). Hopper's character plants a bomb on a city bus which is programmed to detonate if the bus fails to maintain a speed over 50mph. The only thing more ridiculous than the plot is the bus jump stunt which looks so bad, you'll wish they hadn't filmed it in slow motion LOL. The 1994 film sports "slick" electronics equipment (employed by Hopper) which look feeble by today's standards. Sandra Bullock and supporting cast are typical of this genre.

Like I said, if you like Keanu, it's a must see, if not, it's just another action film and DEFINITELY NOT as good as "The Taking of Pelham 123", either one!
My wife likes Keanu. I think he's just OK. They say he's a regular guy.
on March 4, 2017
Umpteenth viewing held up just fine. Last seen years ago, so a lot of the details had faded a bit, but I knew every scene and a lot of the dialogue. But it was instructive to see it again while also enjoying a goodly amount of it. The film's hardly dated except for the ten pound mobile phones they used, but the biggest gripe that I had -- even in the first viewing -- is still there: no way was the bus going over 50 for most of the b-roll shots. A big bother. Also was surprised to see Sandy's role being secondary. I forgot that. She wasn't even in the first half. Hard to say why the film still worked. The memes are still used today, so that was core, but I think the pacing was crucial, and the acting was fine but the script was comic-bookish. Future me: don't watch again. It'd take ten years to forget enough, and by then, a ten pound phone is just going to make you throw up.
on August 15, 2013
Almost time for its 20th Anniversary but still moving along. This is the first time I have seen the movie and was happy to find that age has not stunted its entertainment value. There are other bus sagas, but this one tries to match the many 'train out of control' films; only in this case, it is a necessity to keep it moving above a certain speed or it will explode. There were a few incidents when the LA police are seen falling for tricks that were old when Dennis Hopper (then the oldest of the stars) was born. I suppose the writers can be forgiven since these were probably required to prepare the way for later scenes. At any rate, there is plenty of action, starred actors played their roles well (with Dennis Hopper, no doubt, encouraged to do his Mad Scientist bit of rug chewing) and the supporting cast did so, too.
While not in the category of best in its class, it is good and lively viewing for any action fan.
on September 18, 2012
This movie is awesome and very well acted. Anybody who says Keanu Reeves is a stiff with no emotional depth needs to watch this movie. He has some of the best lines and he shows his humorous side as well as his serious side. He can act and this movie proved that a move to action was a very smart move. He, also, was wise to turn down Speed 2 which sucked big time. He lights up the screen and is buff, hot and looking good, not to mention that he looks good in the S.W.A.T. uniform. He is definitely not the character from Bill and Ted here and I liked those too. I have watched this movie at least a dozen times and it never fails to engage me. The chemistry between Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock comes across on the screen and they are believable. It is 2 hours of non stop action and if you are a fan Of Keanu Reeves, as I am, then it should be in your movie library. Especially on blu-ray as the movie looks like it was made today not 18 years ago.
on January 17, 2016
I love Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves (when he was younger). I had to own this movie as it was so cheap and I enjoyed watching it a decade ago. As you can guess from the title, I remember feeling on edge for most of the movie, it was a lot of thrill and excitement.
on July 6, 2015
Absolutely love this movie without hesitation. Its great to watch Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock from back in their early times as an actor and actress. This movie is nonstop with suspense and action. Great watch!
on October 10, 2009
Blu-rays are about picture and sound quality. A review of Blu-ray edition of an old 1994 movie should be addressing the issue of added entertainment value when upgrading to the Blu-ray edition, not the story itself, which we are all familiar with.

A dvd of this movie cost a bomb back in the day. It has been shown countless times on free to air TV. I saw this movie in a theatre way back in 1994. Nostalgia made me buy Blu-rays of this movie along with Blu-ray Black Hawk Down, both at the same price. Naturally, I saw Black Hawk Down first, reserving Speed for later.

I totally underestimated SPEED. With the Blu-ray, (I hook up my TV to Bose 901 speakers) I was transported back to the cinema hall. The sound from the Blu-ray was awesome. Every explosion, collision, aeroplane, helicopter had a deep and tight bass sensurround sound. The bass on my speakers were truly put to the test. The deep rumblings of the bus and the sound of the crashing of the bus were true to life. Sounds were moving to and fro Left and Right speakers positioning the bus, helicopters and gunshots correctly. This made the Blu-ray worth every cent. The dialogue was crisp. I switched off the sub-titles and just enjoyed the whole Blu-ray performance, even though I had seen this movie on Full Screen TV free so many times before. With Blu-ray, this appeared to be a different movie altogether.

I cannot complain about the picture quality, although others might expect a better transfer. I can see every wrinkle on Dennis Hopper's face and the individual hairs on every actor's head in close-ups. For a 1994 movie, that is good enough for me. Colour saturation was good. The picture quality surpasses that of many Blu-rays which cost a lot more, and which are of more recent vintage.

Probably one of the most well spent $12.99 (price at the time of this review). The Blu-ray release surpasses expectations. Black Hawk Down has a more sombre theme, but somehow, the gunfire and helicopter crashes sound muted compared to SPEED. I expected better from Blu-ray Black Hawk Down and for value added by the Blu-ray edition. Blu-ray Black Hawk Down was better than the dvd, but it did not have the massive improvement Blu-ray brought to SPEED. The acoustics in SPEED sounded better than the recent Fast and Furious series of Blu-rays, to me anyway.

I am not in the position to comment about technical specifications, but for a person who has been disappointed by a lot of Blu-ray upgrades, SPEED added so much more enjoyment for such a small investment.

If Blu-rays reviews ignored the content and were rated according to "How much more did the Blu-ray edition add to your enjoyment of the movie compared to the dvd version", I would say SPEED BD would rank in the top few. Gladiator Blu-ray, on the other hand, would rank in the bottom few (if you ignored the 5 star contents).

And if you do not have a copy of SPEED, go straight for the affordable Blu-ray version of SPEED. I experienced a ressurection of a movie I once wrote off as "old". Excellent value for money.
22 comments| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 29, 2016
I love this movie. I remember seeing it for the first time, and it's so much fun to watch over again!
on December 29, 2016
It was only....cans!
on April 3, 2017
i enjoyed this movie with family