Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Speed Vegan
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 7, 2010
While I am not a vegan, I firmly believe that the American public is far too dependent on animal products in their cooking. Decreasing our consumption of animal based foods would greatly improve our health and environment. I am always on the lookout for recipes that will help our family have a meatless night or two in our weekly menu. The Speed Vegan is a wonderful reference whether you are strictly vegan or you just want to add some variety into your diet.

The book starts out with a very helpful chapter on essential kitchen equipment and another on stocking the pantry. The equipment is listed as either necessary, helpful, or fun to have. I disagree with the author on one thing...my food processor is a necessity and not just merely helpful! I can't imagine life in the kitchen without it!

The selection of ingredients recomended for the pantry is long but includes everything from scallions, tofu and garlic to the more unique like dried mushrooms, edamame, and miso. These ingredients are the basis for some truly amazing recipes. I am usually put off my recipes that contain odd things that I have never heard of but the author does a wonderful job of taking a common recipes and making them unique. For example the Potato Salad with Salsa Verde and Chocolate Pots de Creme using coconut milk. There are a number of more unusual recipes as well, for example Lotus Root Soba Noodles with Tekka and Hominy Hash. But for the most part, the recipes looked like something I have seen before...with a twist!

The other great thing about these recipes is that they are all made in 30 minutes or less. This is a great help when you are running around trying to get kids to after school activities, finish the laundry, and help with homework.

I must admit, I like my cookbooks to come with lots of pictures and while there are several I could have used a few more. It is especially helpful to have pictures when you aren't quite sure what it is you are making! But, I still give this book a huge recomendation for it's unique yet familiar recipes and detailed information on preparing the vegan pantry!
Disclaimer: I was provided with one copy of this book in order to write my review. All opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
on September 18, 2012
I bought this cookbook a few months ago and have found that it's surprisingly easy to follow. The meals are quick, which are great for me, as I'm a horrendously busy college student with food allergies and a tight budget. I am really happy to report that it's not very expensive. Sure, some of the ingredients at first feel expensive, but they are used multiple times throughout the book. The food is easy to make, and what I love about it is (other than the obvious speed factor) that there is a fantastic mingling of flavors in every dish. At first some meals felt like they didn't have "enough" ingredients...but the simplicity is fantastic. I've tried flavors I've never even imagined before! Plus, the nutrition facts are a great help.

I didn't really anticipate it, but among my other vegan cookbooks (Veganomicon, Appetite for Reduction, and Vegan on the Cheap included) I use this one far more than the rest!
on May 16, 2010
In "Speed Vegan", culinary author and professional chef Alan Roettinger draws upon his decades of experience and expertise to compile an impressively diverse 192-page collection of vegan recipes that are as 'kitchen cook friendly' as they are palate pleasing. Ranging from Hot Eggplant and Seitan Open-Face Sandwiches; Celeriac Remulade; and Campari-Braised Radicchio Salad with Grapefruit; to Blazing Pinto Beans; Chipotle Mushrooms; and Dried Fruit Compote, "Speed Vegan" is extraordinary because these are all dishes that can be prepared in a very short time (often a matter of minutes). Delicious and nutritious, all these showcased dishes would grace any meal from simple family dining to elegant celebratory affairs. Of special note for those new to vegan cooking are the opening chapters on essential kitchen equipment and stocking a vegan pantry. "Speed Vegan" is highly recommended, especially for vegan cooks who must include non-vegans at their table!
on August 8, 2014
Love the recipes in the book. I like the way this author/chef thinks about and envisions vegan cuisine (although he does have a tendency of being a bit oil heavy). Every dish I have tried so far is delish and easy to create (even easier to enjoy). The color pictures are terrific, too! This is one of my go to cookbooks at the moment.
on December 21, 2014
Unimpressed with the "recipes". I was impressed by the story of his embrace of vegan diet, though,and hope it influences someone else, but probably won't since mostly only vegans and WFPB diet people will read it. I returned it.
on May 2, 2013
I'm vegetarian, not vegan, but am always looking for good cookbooks to help me move more in the vegan direction. This cookbook is one of my favorites, because the dishes actually have FLAVOR. Many cooks seem to be fine with bland fare, but I'm not. I don't like hot food, but I like to taste what I'm eating, and I like it to taste good. Speed Vegan fits the bill for me - the fact that the recipes are fast to make is just a bonus.

Other good points: the author realizes that vegans need protein too, and every recipe has some form of vegan protein in it, whether nuts, seitan, or beans (etc...). He also introduced me to some ingredients I'd not used before (watercress, pea shoots), but they've turned out great. Our favorites are Eating Shoots and Leaves - a fantastic salad, and Kale and Coconut Soup.

There are some photos, though not photos of every meal, as I would like. Directions are easy to follow, and there are recipes for a variety of tastes. Along with "Essential Vegetarian", this is the cookbook I drag out the most.
on January 3, 2015
Went to a cooking class from this author, he turns vegan food into amazing culinary masterpiece.
on May 20, 2011
In Speed Vegan, author and professional chef Alan Roettinger draws upon his decades of experience and expertise to compile an extraordinarily diverse 192-page collection of vegan recipes that are as 'kitchen cook friendly' as they are palate pleasing. From the Hot Eggplant and Seitan Open-Face Sandwiches, and Campari-Braised Radicchio Salad with Grapefruit; to the Blazing Pinto Beans, and Dried Fruit Compote, Speed Vegan is amazing because these are all dishes that can be prepared in a very short time (often within a matter of minutes). Delicious as well as nutritious, all these dishes can grace any meal from simple family dining to elegant festive affairs.