Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 39 reviews
on September 10, 2014
I like this box. It's definitely very fast to setup and break down, but once in a while, like the another reviewer has mentioned, a few of these rods would not collapse correction when you engage the release mechanism on the back of the unit.

I use it mainly with the Godox Wistro AD360, and the quality of light from this combo is very pleasing. However, the fiberglass rods are not very durable. I broke 6 of mine after using this softbox for about 10 sessions. The good thing is that the box came with two extra rods, and the authorized distributor is quite responsive and can provide you with replacement rods for $5 each.

If you're planning to buy this, then I recommend looking up up Glow ParaPop 28 from Adorama. It's pretty much the same as this, but it has multiple mounting options, and you can expect pretty good warranty service from Adorama for the next 2 years, should you need to replace a few broken fiberglass rods.
review image review image
55 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2014
Best speedlight modifier I've ever used (and it gets used a lot). wedding portraits, food, product, and anything I need to light quickly and easily. Even spread of light. Get it really close for maximum softness. Pro gear.
on November 30, 2014
As a serious hobbyist photographer who has been shooting with off-camera flash for about a year, I was looking to add a soft box to my tool set. The Speedbox Diffuser-70 was recommended to me by a pro photographer friend who owns one of the smaller models. I have enjoyed using it for about two months now, mainly to shoot individual or small group portraits with family and friends.

There is little to criticize. It is surprisingly lightweight for a fairly large soft box. I can put it on a medium-duty light stand with a small boom without worrying that it will tip over. Yet it does not feel fragile. It is well constructed with a tough nylon housing and heavy stitching. The mounting bracket has a small amount of flex to it but does not feel flimsy. Two extra fiberglass rods were provided but I have not needed them. The locking mechanism that holds the diffuser in the "open" position is solid and setup is very fast. Thanks to the two diffuser panels (the outer one is removable), this diffuser produces soft, even light. There is no hot spot. It easily accommodates my flash units (a Photix Mitros and LumoPro LP180) with straightforward adjustment knobs on the mounting bracket.

My only minor complaint is that when setting up the diffuser the last few rods are under quite a bit of tension and can be a little hard to click into place.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Speedbox Diffuser-70 and plan to buy another one at some point.
on March 12, 2015
9/15/16 Update: Well...I had to downgrade the unit score because...well...it's NOT build like a tank. 1/2 the poles that expand the box have snapped. I guess keeping the speedbox open all the time is too much stress on the poles. Maybe there is fine print or a warning somewhere that says, "Don't leave speedbox-70 open for extended periods." and maybe I missed it. Shame, cause I really thought this was cool. I don't have this issue with the WAY LESS EXPENSIVE soft boxes that I bought. In this case...I recommend looking elsewhere and saving money over buying this thing.

Yes, it's pricy. This isn't just for casual photography. There are TONS of options out there for 1/10 the price. HOWEVER...if you are looking for something that will last you and is built like a tank, this is for you. It's easy to open and easy to collapse. It also collapses into a small package that is easy to transport. I also bought it's little brother and they work GREAT together!
on October 9, 2016
The SMDV S70 is easy to assemble and provides smooth, soft light from my SB-910 speedlites. It collapses easily for transport and storage. I have seven of the SMDV Speedbox products for speedlites (edge and smaller twelve-sided). They make it very easy to get studio results on location without having to carry my larger studio lights. I have found these products to be well designed and very well constructed. SMDV support has been excellent when needed. They absolutely have my recommendation!
on July 8, 2014
So far I really like my "Speedbox Diffuser-70 - Professional 28" (28" x 27") Rigid Dodecagon Portable Softbox for Canon Flash Speedlite", I have only used it a few times but I have gotten some very nice photo's using it. Easy to set up, and take down, but the adapter that attaches the speedlite to the softbox, doesn't break down for storage which makes it difficult to get back into the carrying bag. I think it would benefit from this if only to make it more durable fro transit, but it's not a deal breaker.
on June 24, 2015
Super solid diffuser -

pros - super fast to set up and take down, very clean and even light, the box itself is constructed very well

cons - the attachment to lighting stands is made of plastic and doesn't fit standard lighting stands properly, it also doesn't connect as securely as my other diffusers.

Overall I'd recco the product but I wish they'd swap out the plastic connector for a metal one. I suspect its going to break some day and I'll have to find a new way to connect it to stands.
on December 12, 2014
yes, the price is a bit higher, maybe much higher than other softboxes. but if you want a well designed, robust piece of equipment to add to your bag, this is a great addition. folds down to near nothing like an umbrella with it's own carrying case. I have this and the 60 as well and wish I had just gone with 2 70's. I've cycled through other low cost, looks to be ok crap and had to decide a few years back it's just gonna cost to have good stuff. If you're dabbling in the hobby, maybe consider something less, but this will hold up for consistent use from what I can tell so far.
on August 18, 2017
Sturdy built. The rods for the S70 are much more substantial the the flimsy wires, called rods, on the S40. The bracket and work great and it's very helpful that it comes with the soft box.
on June 11, 2014
I bought the Diffuser 40 a couple of months ago and when I saw how well it worked, I bought the 70. I put a Nikon 910 on the 70 and Nikon 600 on the 40 and together they throw beautiful, soft light. I hesitated at first because of the increased cost of the 70 but the size difference justifies the price increase. You can't beat the lightweight portability. There is a lot here for the money.