Add to your order
from Asurion, LLC $5.99
- NO ADDITIONAL COST: You pay $0 for repairs – parts, labor and shipping included.
- COVERAGE: Plan starts on the date of purchase. Drops, spills and cracked screens due to normal use covered from day one. Malfunctions covered after the manufacturer's warranty.
- PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: Plans cover products purchased in the last 30 days.
- EASY CLAIMS PROCESS: File a claim anytime online or by phone. Most claims approved within minutes. We will send you an Amazon e-gift card for the purchase price of your covered product. In some cases, we will replace or repair it.
Sphero Mini (Blue) App-Enabled Programmable Robot Ball - STEM Educational Toy for Kids Ages 8 & Up - Drive, Game & Code with Sphero Play & Edu App, 1.57"
|Item Dimensions LxWxH||1.57 x 1.57 x 1.57 inches|
|Age Range (Description)||96 months to 1200 months|
About this item
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- LITTLE ROBOT, LOTTA FUN: Sphero Mini packs a ton of fun into a tiny programmable robot the size of a ping pong ball. Equipped with a gyroscope, accelerometer, and colorful LED lights, this educational robot is more than a mini robot toy. Sphero Mini is the perfect entry into robotics for beginners!
- DRIVE MODE: Beginner learners can drive and play STEM-inspired games with the free Sphero Play App. Drag and drive with Joystick mode, pull back and release with Slingshot mode or tip and rotate your mobile device with Tilt mode. Included with Sphero Mini are 3 traffic cones and 6 bowling pins to inspire obstacle course fun right out of the box.
- PLAY GAMES: Use Sphero Mini as a game controller for arcade-style games in the Sphero Play app. Perfect for playing on the go or with limited space. Choose from 3 different games - shoot through space, speed through a tunnel, or smash a polygon of bricks. With 1 hour of play time, Sphero Mini is the next big thing.
- INSPIRING THE CREATORS OF TOMORROW: With our undeniably cool fleet of programmable robots and educational STEAM tools, we're inspiring a new generation of inventors and changemakers through hands-on applied learning of coding, science, music and the arts.
Inspire a love of reading with Amazon Book Box for Kids
Discover delightful children's books with Amazon Book Box, a subscription that delivers new books every 1, 2, or 3 months — new Amazon Book Box Prime customers receive 15% off your first box. Learn more.
Frequently bought together
CHOKING HAZARD -- Toy contains a small ball. Not for children under 3 yrs.
CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
CHOKING HAZARD -- This toy is a small ball. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question might be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who bought this product.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
From the manufacturer
Driving. Gaming. Coding. Now Fun-Sized.
Drive a robot and then learn to code it on your own! Sphero Mini is a powerful, ping pong-size robotic ball with a gyroscope, accelerometer, and LED lights that glow in tons of colors. Our free apps make it simple to explore a huge range of experiences.
Each robot ball comes with 3 traffic cones and 6 bowling pins. Weave in and out of the cones, knock down the pins, or build your very own obstacle course. Different drive modes, arcade-style games, and basic coding commands enable endless fun in the Sphero Play app.
- Interchangeable, removable plastic shell
- Bluetooth Smart connection (10 meter range)
- Micro USB charger (almost 1 hour of play)
- Height: 42mm / Width: 42mm / Weight: 46g
- Compatible with Sphero Edu app on iOS, Android, Kindle, Mac, Windows & Chrome
- Compatible with Sphero Play app on iOS & Android
Little Robot. Lotta Fun.
Tilt your device. Pull back and slingshot forward. Use the Joystick. Whatever you’re in the mood for, the Sphero Play app has it.
Use the ball as a controller with the Sphero Play app to dodge and destroy asteroids, race through a rotating tunnel, or smash a polygon of bricks.
Program 3 Ways
Foster creativity through discovery and play with Mini and the Sphero Edu app, all while laying the foundation for computer science.
|Sphero Mini||Sphero Mini At-Home Learning Starter Kit||Sphero Mini Activity Kit||Sphero BOLT|
|Size||About as big as a ping pong ball||About as big as a ping pong ball||About as big as a ping pong ball||About as big as a baseball|
|Support Guides||Downloadable at-home learning guide.||Sphero Mini Kit At-Home Guide, 15 Sphero Play App STEAM Activities, 15 Sphero Edu App Coding Activities||15 Sphero Play App STEAM Activities||Downloadable at-home learning guide.|
|Material||Plastic shell opens for charging and exploring the robot.||Plastic shell opens for charging and exploring the robot. Construction set is made of flexible, durable plastic.||Plastic shell opens for charging and exploring the robot. Construction set is made of flexible, durable plastic.||Clear, durable, waterproof, scratch-resistant. Shell is sealed and does not open.|
|Top Speed||1 meter per sec (2.2 mph)||1 meter per sec (2.2 mph)||1 meter per sec (2.2 mph)||2 meter per sec (4.5 mph)|
|What's in the Box?||Sphero Mini, Micro USB charging cord, 3 mini traffic cones, 6 mini bowling pins||Clear Sphero Mini, Bumper cover, 6 pins and 3 cones, 30 STEM-inspired activity cards, 28-piece construction set, Micro USB cable||Clear Sphero Mini, Bumper cover, 6 pins and 3 cones, 15 STEM-inspired activity cards, 28-piece construction set, Micro USB cable||Sphero BOLT, Inductive charging base with UBS cable|
Sphero Mini, USB Charger, Set of Cones, Set of Bowling Pins
Choking Hazard. This toy contains small parts.
Reviews with images
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
However, it simply does not perform.
Here is what happens.
1) Unbox. Quality looks good.
2) Open and charge Sphero mini. Good.
3) Install phone app. Good.
4) Connect to the sphero with phone app. Good.
5) Calibrate the sphero mini by orienting a LED to point at you. Good.
6) Drive the sphero mini in a given direction. Passable.
7) Drive the sphero mini in a different direction. You can hear the wheels spinning inside the shell as it tries to adjust. Lucky if it goes within 30 degrees of the intended direction.
8) Each successive change in direction is less and less accurate. After three direction changes, it is pretty much random.
Watching various video reviews would make you think that the reviewers are not good drivers. In fact, they think they are bad drivers. But in reality, the sphero mini is not a good direction follower.
The issue is the calibration (see step #5 above) does not last long. If you try to re-calibrate later, it is obvious that the LED is pointing in the wrong direction.
There is such a small point of contact between the sphero mini and the ground, that each direction change causes enough spinning that orientation is lost.
I have three requests:
1) Sphero could improve the sphero mini software by allowing an option where the calibration LED is always visible. The app would then have "steering" which allows you to change the direction the LED is pointing. And the app would also have a "forward/reverse slider" for speed control. This would remove the calibration issue and it would be much more controllable. Adding a "trim" to control max speed would be great too.
2) Sphero could improve the sphero hardware. Add a magnetometer so that once the LED orientation is set, the magnetometer can maintain it. This is a very common robot technique for orientation.
3) I challenge anyone to post a video of them driving the sphero mini two laps in a square pattern, four feet on a side.
But for now, I don't recommend.
By Arcturus70 on September 21, 2018
Sphero mini is an evolutionary device for the whole family. The perfect size makes it easily transportable for on the go fun! From the fun of building courses and playing “hide and seek” possibilities are endless. It’s not only a toy but it’s a game! I love the different ways you can control it; tilt, slingshot, face drive, and much more! I have an original Sphere, too. this one is similar, but a whole lot different. Mini seems faster and quicker. Also, the LED inside Sphero-mini is cool. Sphero mini is a great product.
So my advice is to keep supporting this company because they are doing great things. I hope their price points remain affordable because these toys are still "toys"
If money is tight and you are considering your options then wait for 2.0 mini
Top reviews from other countries
As such it has been neglected a bit by the makers of Sphero, who seem to favour it's bigger, beefier cousins ie Bolt, SPRK and Sphero 1 and 2.
If you have hard floors and marble like we do. The thin exterior shell will break with worrying ease. Exposing the more delicate robotic interior ball.
The shell is not screwed securely. It's held together by a sort of magnetic connection.
Thankfully as of writing, we haven't yet suffered a catastrophic failure. Though I am stuck between the figurative rock and a hard place.
On the plus side, You have access to the entire online App based platform that all the Spheros balls do. Except for the LED lights coding program, that the Sphero BOLT does, as this ball isn't compatible with it being somewhat limited by the absence of said lights.
Though it does have a more of all over internal 'glow' light that you can control - impressively: throughout the entire spectrum of the colour wheel.
At the time of writing, there are no rubberised covers designed for the Sphero Mini - which is essentially what this one is. So in essence, as of writing, my job is to urge our young, enthused, tech savvy recipients to avoid, by aid of virtually programming, flinging this between a rock. And a hard place.
Loses half a star because there's no on/off button inside so you need to charge it every time you use it, and another half a star because the plastic cover is too slippery for hard floors and it keeps getting itself into a death spin when I drive it into walls. Hope they start selling rubberised shells like they do for the bigger ones.
It is a small ball that you can control with app. It moves pretty quickly!
It comes with some small cones, small bowling pins and a USB charging cable (no plug). There is no case to keep everything in but you can buy those separately which I think I will do.
It did need charging out of the box for an hour. The apps downloaded quickly.
Bought the blue one for £29.99 which seems about the right price.
The shell is thin hard plastic so I’m not sure how durable it will be in the long term. I’m thinking a storage case will help it last as being a ball it’s likely to roll off the shelf.