In the Spider's Web
Deal of the Day: "M*A*S*H: The Complete Series + Movie" on DD
Today only, save big on this M*A*S*H bundle, which includes all 11 seasons of the hit television show and the feature film. This offer ends at 11:59 p.m. (PT) on Wednesday, July 27, 2016. Learn more
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The story is not great but it has some interesting twists and traits. Like with Night Feeders an unexpected character rises to the top. This character is one of my current favorites from recent movies and shows that the makers were willing to try something different. The rest of the film is not as good as Night Feeders in originality and has a few problems. For some reason the natives who worship the spiders also eat them. In one scene Lance looks like he is participating, even chewing, although the effects team, or someone, let the spider be seen going right past his head instead of into his mouth. There is no explanation as to why the natives are helping Lance and he seems to have no real power over them. I guess they were going for a little Doctor Moreau. But overall it is an okay film and worth it for that one special character. Check it out.
1) Tromp through a thick jungle that is covered in massive spider webbing "everywhere"!
2) Camp out in the middle of a jungle underneath a massive spider web canopy!
3) Trust an eccentric "medical" doctor living in a remote village full of "spider-worshippers."
4) Not think it odd that said eccentric "medical" doctor keeps grossly long finger nails on only one of his hands, and has a brother who runs around with his head covered beneath a thick net of spider webbing who also has grossly long finger nails on the same hand!
5) Attempt to rationalize everything you know "ain't" right about this village and doctor!
6) Come upon a temple cavern whose entrance is shaped like the jaws and legs of a spider - and then dash right inside to see what's in there!
7) Wonder around in a cavern covered from top to bottom in massive spider webbing - and then keep going in deeper!
8) Behave as if you are in "Disneyland" with all the cool attractions!
9) Crash a party of "spider-worshippers" engaged in... well... spider worship!
Despite the cliché of people doing insanely dumb things in a horror movie and getting exactly what insanely dumb people deserve, the film still manages to have its share of odd twists and creepiness - especially if you are an arachnophobe. Even if you are not particularly afraid of spiders, you might be at the end of this film.
So take your standard plot... a group of American teens go tramping about the jungles of India. One gets bit by a spider, goes to find a village doctor, and they get wrapped up in a mysterious spider worshipping cult that steals people's organs and sells them on the black market... All that, and you've got swarms of CGI-spiders running about. Oh, and of course plastic spiders and fake spider webbing too... you know, like the type you can buy as Halloween decorations. Despite the insanity of the movie, its actually pretty fun in a cheesy way. It also stars Lance Henriksen, which only added to the appeal for me.
I can only imagine the budget they must have had while filming this. Although set in India, my first guess would be that it was actually filmed in Thailand. Especially since theres only one Indian actor in the film, and the villagers look more like a bunch of people from Southeast Asia clad in loinclothes and turbans. Still, I didn't go into it looking for scientific or cultural accuracy. Its just a cheap 'animal attack of the week' type film, but a fun one at that. So keep up the good work, and look for more of the Maneaters movies, because thus far they've all been pretty good (or bad maybe).
The plot tries for originality with its harvested organs storyline, but it's basically an exercise in let's get the heck out of here. The spider fx are pretty creepy and the movie has good production values. Fans of the genre should be sufficiently satisfied.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
and more spiders. I love cheese but I do want alittle chips on my nachos. Way too many spiders in this film. If spiders horror movies scare you then this movie is for you. Read morePublished on September 26, 2011 by K. Harper
this movie is cool it has
adventure.and the most
important thing a kinda
good ending.so do only
good revviews ok.
I just love spider, arachnoid, insect, venemous bug films. I love them so much I watch every one I can get my eight legs on...until this one. Don't get lured into this web. Read morePublished on July 10, 2010 by PR GUY
IN THE SPIDER'S WEB
Another film in the "Maneater" series in fact I believe it is the second and to be honest it is actually enjoyable and not as horrible as others may... Read more
This movie is horrible. The story is predictable. The acting and dialogue are bad. The CGI and sets are laughable. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. Read morePublished on August 3, 2009 by G. Gordon