Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 75 reviews
on April 16, 2017
I went very middle of the road on this movie. Really I go 2.5 on it and I believe I am being generous. I am by no means a genius but I'm not a dummy either. Therefore, I have to say that I simply did not get it! I like odd movies and the like, I like odd characters too. but I seriously did not understand what was going on and why. therefore after watching the entire thing.....I say don't do it. I do like Joel David Moore but I got nothing from him at all and seeing as how he seems to be disturbed.....why buddy up to him? By my admission of not getting it, I will not say that it is amazing or wonderful just to appear intellectual at all. I like what I like and what I don't I don't. have a pleasant day.
on April 28, 2010
Mason is an introverted artist who is thrust out of his isolated existence by an obnoxious co-worker that has taken a real liking to him. Just as she begins to break down his barriers and he begins to show signs of life while painting her portraits, Amber discovers that she may not be the first person to see the tip of his paintbrush, though she may be the last... Joel David Moore is perfectly fitting as Mason, delivering the cold and empty performance that the role required. The steady build allows Amber and the viewer ample time to get in to Mason's head, but just as he starts to open up to become a likable character, a sudden reveal immediately ramps up the terror and turns the tables on our social misfit. Moore's writing and direction under Adam Green's supervision demonstrate a great deal of potential here, and are aided by crisp visuals and expert framing. Mason's declining mental state is alluded to on screen in a series of visual metaphors seen in the approaching storm, electrical outages, and increasingly shaky camera work. While many of the plot twists are easily predictable, SPIRAL produces a solid psychological thriller based on strong performances and a sound structure.

-Carl Manes
I Like Horror Movies
on April 28, 2012
The reviewer who said this movie has an identity conflict was correct. But this should not stop you from watching it. The film starts very slowly as a dark character study. It has very awkward scenes involving Nathan and the only two people with whom he interacts (Amber and his boss). I kept constantly questioning why they would even hang out with him.

Once Nathan started talking in complete sentences, the film became more interesting. It really explores the relationship between two very opposite individuals.

The ending, however, made it a thriller. The action picks up. There is no blood or gore in this movie, however.

So - I would watch this if you can survive a slow to develop film. It does satisfy in the end.

Finally, The jazz score was great. And the moral of the story: Acts like a psycho, talks like a psycho = psycho.
on August 24, 2008
Spiral is the story of Mason (played by Joel Moore), a mentally troubled artist with a love for jazz. During a lunch break, Mason meets and is befriended by a manic depressive Amber (Amber Tamblyn), and the two proceed to draw close to one another during a series of painting sessions. It is here the the story begins to "spiral", leading Amber and Mason both a path which has a dark conclusion.

The acting in this movie is brilliant, and I do not say that lightly. The script is amazingly constructed, paced perfectly, and drawing you deeply into the lives of the main characters and their attraction for one another. You care about these people, and truly want the best for them. Few movies hold this power over the viewers, but Spiral does it masterfully.

Spirit is one of the top 5 movies I have seen this year, and one of the most memorable films I have watched in recent memory. Please take the time to watch this movie and judge for yourself.
on May 26, 2015
If you enjoy psychological thrillers, you will love this. Joel David Moore was so convincing as Mason. I was hesitant about Zachary Levi playing something other than "the good guy" but he portrayed Berkeley SO well! I really enjoyed this because I like movies that I can't figure out in the first five minutes. This REALLY kept me guessing.
on December 3, 2014
I bought this movie because of the lead actor, Joel David Moore, who does an excellent job of portraying the awkward and troubled main character. Amber Tamblyn and Zack Levi round out the cast. You simply have to watch it.
on March 10, 2014
I have had to re-purchase this film because every time I loan it out it never comes back, or that person wants to share it with others so it takes months to retrieve
on October 16, 2016
Deeply disturbing on many levels.
on September 2, 2016
Awful
on July 17, 2014
The movie is thrilling psychology and has a unique and original plot but the Blu-ray is bate bones with no menu screen or extras. I would recommend the DVD for sure.