Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 16 reviews
on April 27, 2011
Being a fan of martial and patriotic music, I have an extended collection of CDs covering this musical genre.

Having read positive reviews of The Spirit of Freedom CD, I looked forward to listening to it. Unfortunately, I was disappointed, not by the performance of the Washington Men's Choir (Camerata), which was excellent, but by the incongruous musical accompaniment: A piano accompanying the Air Force Song (sung beautifully, incidentally) detracts from the dynamics and power of the piece - the same for the Marines' Hymn, et al.

A brass band or orchestra would make all the difference - the thin gruel of a solo trumpet, drum, organ and piano for music such as this, is inadequate. With proper accompaniment this would have been a five star CD for me - instead of just a three.
on June 13, 2004
I ordered this CD to take to college with me, and was not at all disappointed. It always lifted my spirits to play this and remember what it is that has made our country great. We've lost so much by not passing on our heritage to this next generation, and though my parents have done their best, I myself was unaware of these rich hymns and choruses from our history. This is a stirring collection, excellently sung and recorded. Anyone interested in enjoying the best of our past and in feeling the pride of our forefathers should definitely add this to their collection.
on July 25, 2013
Great collection, with several seldom heard selections. Did not give it a five, not because of the Camerata, but felt the recording engineers could have better balanced the instruments with the Camerata.
on January 12, 2015
An inspiring collection of patriotic music, well-presented
on October 3, 2004
I bought the CD based on other reviews. The hymnish sound is OK for songs like "America the Beautiful" but I was hoping for more robust renditions of songs like "The Marine's Hymn", "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" and "The Caissons Go Rolling Along".