Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 51 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 54 reviews
on December 31, 2015
After reading Whitney's book on the spiritual disciplines, I really wanted to teach a series on spiritual disciplines to my Sunday school class. I bought this book to help me prepare weekly lessons. This book is prefect for that purpose, it has a section containing a central theme, overview, summary, and questions on each of the disciplines. I would not attempt to use this book as a stand-alone learning tool without reading Whitney's other book on spiritual disciplines first (it can easily be found here on this site).
on October 22, 2009
I have recently rededicated my life to Jesus.
At the time of my rededication I was stationed in Iraq at a small base away from the regular chapples and contact with other Christians. I was saved but still lost in confusion about how to take on the task of spritual growth. I found a web site called [...] and this book and study guide was recomended. I cannot tell you how valuable its been to me. From the stand point of being alone with God and with questions for days about my new life in Christ it gave me the foundations I needed and the answers to the questions I desperatly needed. Since that time I have talked about the book with other Chnristians. The insights Ive given them from the book have helped others to grow and gave them solid answers they have sought for years as growing people of God. It is firmly backed by scripture and referenced in the back of the book for deeper even deeper topic study. Questions in this study guide promote a healthy search for instruction, wisdom and understanding that apply to ones self by the means of personal reflection. I would recomend this study guide and book for anyone wanting to further their realionship with God from a sturdy foundation. It would also be an excalent tool for a study group.
I know sometimes the modern church leaves people to their own devices once saved. In that case for a church this would be a very helpful guide to have a class for new christians to maintain the responsability of the church to deciple the people they bring to the light.
on October 8, 2014
Our class has just used the two books, (Life and Ministry and the Pilgrimage Growth Guide) for an intensive study on spiritual disciplines. Each book could stand by itself but we found the questions in this book (life and ministry) as well as the specific scripture passages with the questions enabled us to understand and apply the material the other book (pilgrimage growth guide) had presented. While the subject matter is something that every new Christian should be throughly taught, as a class of mature Christians we found our eyes opened in spiritual matters we thought we already knew. In short, we gained not only knowledge but wisdom. It has been exciting viewing prayer, worship, solitude, and other spiritual disciplines in new (to our eyes) and yet Biblically grounded ways. Several times we found ourselves saying, "why didn't my Sunday School teachers teach us this?" or "Why doesn't the church teach these things to all new christians?" Several members of our class came to the conclusion that our lives would have been better if we had known more about these disciplines and how to apply them to our life. I suspect we will try to teach these disciplines to the younger christians so that they will have the advantage that we did not have.
on September 20, 2016
We so many times forget what being a Christian is all about. Whitney has given us key disciplines for us to live out the Great Commission and be better Disciples making Disciples.
on March 7, 2016
If you want to deepen your relationship with GOD this is the study guide for you! It goes well with the book of the same title by Don Whitney! Can't wait to finish the book and study guide! Easy to read and understand for the new believer and very meaty for the seasoned believer!
on June 18, 2017
I love the way this includes lots of quotes from the book, great critical thinking questions, and scripture to study. Great resource!! I recommend it to all believers 😍🙌🏼🌈🎉
on July 8, 2016
Had to purchase this book for a Seminary course. It was one of the few that I would actually read. Great for personal/spiritual growth. I have since used it in classes I teach.
on February 24, 2006
Although there is no substitute for wrestling with the issues Pastor Whitney powerfully presents in the book "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life", the study guide is a very beneficial help to the reader to internalize and put into practice these important disciplines. The questions range from orthodoxy (the why of the disciplines) to orthopraxy (the practice of the disciplines).

Presently I am leading a group through the study guide at work to help the believers pursue holiness through the disciplines. Those with little Biblical knowledge or study habits have struggled some becasue they have never done anything like this. If you are a new believer, or someone guiding a new believer through this guide I would suggest two things. First, take your time. We have tried to go through a chapter a week and people are getting lost. Secondly, supplement this text with a good "how to study the Bible" guide. The nuts and bolts of Bible study are assumed, many do not know how to correctly study the texts of Scripture.

On the whole, however, I heartily recommend this book and study guide to the benefit of your soul.
on March 12, 2016
Author does a tremendous job of communicating the biblical spiritual disciplines. The lessons were more and more convicting as I progressed through the book. Our men's small groups are studying this now and it has been a blessing.
on August 5, 2017