Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Spit On Dvd 2 Pk (1978/2010)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: DVD|Change

Note: This is essentially a repackage of the 2010 new release with the 2010 rerelease of the 1978 film in one package. Both discs are exactly the same with all the same features. If you own one or both of these films, this is not an upgrade--but an opportunity for someone who has neither to pick both up at a reduced price point.

With the resurgence of exploitation films, we've really brought some unpleasantly vicious movies into the mainstream. Some are good, some are not--just like any genre--but what is fascinating to me is how commonplace they now seem. When I was growing up, pictures like the original "I Spit On Your Grave," "Faces of Death" and "Last House on the Left" were considered vile films and they had to be discovered. A largely underground, low budget, and independent film community had to support these controversial, malicious films. In many ways, they represented a rebellion against conventional entertainment. However, by today's standards these films, while certainly grim, are relatively subdued compared to the graphic torture, violence and gore that delight audiences at the local mall.

Designed to provoke audiences, one thing is certain--few people will be ambivalent about the new incarnation of "I Spit On Your Grave." I know people who think it's terrific AND I know people who think that it is repellant. Just the latest example of the growing market I like to refer to as "torture cinema," ISOYG will have very few viewers straddling the middle ground. While the original film played to the time it was released--there was almost a female empowerment message in the retribution scenario--this new version eschews a specific societal context. Much more gore oriented than its predecessor, it feels distinctly less real. That is either good or bad depending on your vantage point. The amateurish quality of the original lends it a gritty realism that actually works in the film's favor. Combined with Camille Keaton's surprisingly effective performance, the film had the flavor of something that could actually happen. The new version is decidedly more elaborate and the revenge conceptions are more over-the-top. The enjoyment value, thus, is determined by whether graphic brutality qualifies as entertainment for you.

I haven't said much about the film's plot. I think most people know what happens. A young woman is sexually assaulted by a group of men, brutalized, and left for dead. She reemerges with vengeance on her mind and the men will rue the day they met her. Sarah Butler as the victim in question has some nice moments, but exists largely to service the plot. For me, she lacked the genuineness of Keaton. The men are slightly more developed in this new vision. While barely more than caricatures in either film, they have more shading here and the mentally challenged character is conceptualized more fully in this edition. The film remains unrepentantly bleak and disturbing and pushes buttons for the sake of pushing buttons. There is no grand meaning to be had but, quite frankly, I don't think that's why anyone would be watching in the first place.

Mind you, I'm not claiming either version of "I Spit On Your Grave" is a great movie. I do, however, believe that the original was more relevant in relationship to its time period. But this new film is made with technical prowess and visual flair (however unpleasant). Some may claim these films as a feminist treatise, and some as vile female exploitation. In truth, they are actually a bit of both--but I don't think that they necessarily merit a serious philosophical discussion. Either way, this film was meant to assault your senses and that it does! On it's own merits, it succeeds at what it set out to do. If you like gore, you may well like this. If you don't, by all means, stay far far away! KGHarris, 2/11.

Special Features included:
2010 VERSION: The Revenge of Jennifer Hills: Remaking a Cult Icon
2010 VERSION: Audio Commentary with Director Steven R. Monroe and Producer Lisa Hansen
2010 VERSION: Deleted Scenes
2010 VERSION: Theatrical trailers
2010 VERSION: Teaser trailer
2010 VERSION: Radio Spot

1978 VERSION: Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Meir Zarchi
1978 VERSION: Audio Commentary with Author/Historian Joe Bob Briggs
1978 VERSION: THE VALUES OF VENGEANCE: Meir Zarchi remembers I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE
1978 VERSION: Alternate Main Title
1978 VERSION: TV Spots & Trailers
1978 VERSION: Poster and Still Gallery
1978 VERSION: Radio Spots
on April 18, 2012
We bought the double feature and watched both back to back. The remake was surprisingly enjoyable. Normally I find remakes lacking but in this case it had a few laughable moments especially a few death scenes. The remake looks a bit more polished but I still find it difficult to believe she survived on what she did. The original doesn't skip time like the remake does and the set of the original feels a bit more isolated to me for some reason. Both were enjoyable and interesting to watch and compare. It is also nice having both in one case. The special features include commentary and interviews which were ok but nothing I found jaw droppingly interesting. We got two descent movies for a good price and in one package so we are happy!
on March 24, 2013
I bought this not recalling if i'd actually seen either versioin before or not and after watching both it seems I did actually catch these on cable tv in some portion since I remembered scenes of each movie. It seems that many films emerged within the vengeance/slasher/snuff films after the Manson Family murders, The Last House on the Left etc, this film so they are basically cheap exploitation films feeding off the headlines of the times. I actually like the remake better than the original, and the only real strong point about the original is the actress, who is quite good looking... but her manner of murdering her attackers are quite uncreative and anti-climactic, the remake is much better but at least the protagonist's actions are more theatric and spitefull. I gave it an extra star since it's a decent deal to get both version for an ok price.
on November 3, 2015
The only good reason to do a re-make is to make a better movie than the original. The original is superior to the remake. Siskel & Ebert were wrong in thinking that the original movie promoted or encouraged rape. Only an already degenerate mind would side with the rapists against Jennifer Hills. I don't agree that no jury would convict her, (per the promotion) however, since she let all her wounds heal and did not bring her condition right after the assault to the authorities when it happened (the audience doesn't count.) There is little question that she would be convicted if she were caught. The re-make did not walk the tightrope of making the revenge "deserving" of the crime in the revenge-movie sense. It lessened the brutality of the rape (more humiliation than brutality for the most part) and then went over-the-top with the savagery of the revenge. The victim, new Jennifer, then becomes far worse than the original criminals, more of an extremely sadistic killer in her own right. Not too clear how she could have escaped the river, gotten new clothes that fit her. If she is the one who stole the tape why didn't she turn it in to the authorities? Why did the Sheriff, logically, want to destroy the tape, but not prevent the taping in the first place? Yes, there does need to be some logic even in a revenge picture.
on January 1, 2013
I recommend these films for adults only. It is your classic do me wrong I get you back movies. The woman is a writer and she rents a cabin. She is raped by 4 in the older version & 5 in the newer version. The best parts is how she exacts revenge.
on June 3, 2015
The RE-MAKE with (Sarah Butler) is GREAT!!!...I wasn't impressed with the original in da least. SKIP the ORIGINAL and GET the RE-MAKE! !...VERY SHOCKING!!!... (Sara Butler) is SEXY and EXTREMELY VICIOUS in this!!! MUST SEE RE-MAKE and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!!

Special Features included:

1978 VERSION: TV Spots & Trailers
1978 VERSION: Poster and Still Gallery
1978 VERSION: Radio Spots
on April 4, 2013
I Spit On Your Grave, double feature, double butt kicking. Both involve rape and this will turn most people off. On the other hand, there must be something to turn a woman in to a multiple killer. Rape is one of the things that can do it. Messing with her child is possibly greater. But we get the reason. The culprits pay for their sins. If you collect strange movies, this is for you.
on February 14, 2016
Came on time I love this new version of this movie and I love part 3 it's got the same girl from this new I spit on your grave. I haven't seen all of part 2 yet I'm ordering that next and I'm watching the old version tonight or tomorrow for the first time I hope it's good
on June 19, 2013
love this movie and watching on dvd was great. by watching both of them i can tell the differences between the original and the remake but still this movie bring a message to women and men. it shows that not because a women can dress sexy and act a specific way she is asking for a man. in other words it does not matter how a women dress that does not a excuse to be victim of a rape. this movie bring a hidden message.