Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Asmodee Spot It! Hip
Style: Hip|Change

on April 23, 2016
Spot It is a great little game to throw into a carry on bag when traveling or to bring along to kill time before the food arrives at a restaurant. The game is deceptively simple but it is entertaining for adults as well as kids since the game changes every time.

Spot It consists of a hand sized metal tin with a snug fitting lid and a deck of round cards. Each card has a set of different pictures – some words, some symbols, all dependent on the version you are playing. The most simple way to play the game is to turn two cards over at a time, players search for the one picture or symbol that the cards have in common. It sounds so simple but the kids beat me more often than not – younger eyes move more quickly! The game is fast paced and fun and challenging enough to keep adults and kids alike entertained. No reading needed so perfect for younger kids too!

We have the Spot It Junior Animals version of this game as well but I think that most kids would be fine with the version labeled for older kids and adults.

One of the biggest pros for me is even if one of the cards falls behind the bookshelf, the monster under the bed steals it or it gets torn, you can still play the game. How many games in your basement are basically useless since a card is lost or the green cherries are missing in action?

I find myself suggesting this game when the kids want to have a game night - so much better than the one thousand nine hundred and sixty third round of Candyland. Or Hi-Ho Cherry...please don't make me try to find all those green cherries again.

5 stars for Spot It from us!
50 people found this helpful
on April 5, 2016
This is a fantastic learning game for toddlers and preschool kids. My son first played it when he was 3 at his cousin's house and that is when I decided to purchase it myself. You basically lay out 2 cards and they have to find the item that is on both cards. The items are all different sizes so the kids can't just look for an exact replica. My son loves to play it by himself at home as well, kind of like eye spy. There are fewer items on the JR cards as opposed to the regular spot it games which make it a little easier for younger kids as well. I've also found it's helpful for learning animal names/colors as well because we ask him to say the animal name out loud when he finds it.
16 people found this helpful
on May 18, 2013
We have the original spot it and spot it jr. When I saw this game, I immediately purchased it. My 4.5 year old daughter has been reluctant to learn how to start sounding out words. This has made it into a fun game for us! We don't play it in the usual manner of spot it but have adjusted it.

When we first started it, I would tell her this is the word can you find the pic that goes with it. She would sound it out and be very happy when she would get it. After she got better on that I would tell her which card had the word and which card had the pic. Now she is getting to the point where she can play it without needing to always be told which card has the word on it, some she recognizes, some she identifies based on pattern and other times sounding them all out.

If you have never played any of the spot it games, do not buy this first. Get the original version first, have your child love that one before starting on this one.
35 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon March 17, 2014
Getting Spot it! Basic English is the best move I've made while teaching English in Japan. Not only is Spot It a fun game to play with your friends (which I did, believe me), but it makes one of the best ways to get ESL kids to learn vocabulary, read English words, and speak English.

The Spot It instructions come with 3 mini party games with very easy-to-understand instructions. (If you grab the Spot It game with the hand, those instructions give you 2 more games.) Of course you, or better yet the kids, can come up with more games to play.

Basic game-play involves matching the item on both cards. The Basic English version is the most difficult because it involves matching not just the same visual shape, but sometimes you must match a word with a picture.

Why I absolutely love this for ESL:
1. It's a fun game and the kids all like it.
2. If I find a match first, I can use phrases such as 'same picture/word' or 'this one is a picture, this one is the word'.
3. It forces kids who don't know how to read or who have trouble reading to actually learn to recognize words (and I make them ask me 'what's this' if they want me to read the word for them).
4. For kids who really really can't read, often the word is the same color as the object, so if they're clever enough to figure that out, the kids who can't read can beat the kids who can, which is funny. (Because matching colors is faster than reading words, but the kids who can read will try to read the word first.)
5. The vocabulary is pretty basic but great. e.g. moon, sun, rain, fish, doll, girl, boy, kite, cow, horse, house (they always mix those two words up).

While there are several versions of Spot It and I own almost all of them, the Basic English version is the best for ESL. I would very much like more versions of the game like this -- and I would buy them all. Really.
The tin makes for easy storage and something the kids can roll across the table, and the cards have proven resilient to frequent play. I thought for sure the kids would bend them, but thanks to the way the game is played, I've had no problems.

If you are teaching ESL to kids (~4-13 years old), I highly recommend Spot It! Basic English.
19 people found this helpful
on March 1, 2017
We bought this as a family game to play with our 3 year old son. This is by far his favorite game, and he chooses this one to play whenever we have a game night. It did not take him long to understand the concept of finding the animals that match on the two cards. Some of the animals he did not know, but it was good for helping him to learn new animal names. The instructions include five variations of playing, which keeps the game fresh. Some versions are a little over his head at this point, but that means that we will have some new ways to play when he gets older! We currently like version 3, where each player has a pile of cards to get rid of, the best. The cards are thick paper and fairly sturdy (but can get crinkly if they get mysteriously wet...) The tin is nice and the lid stays on well. Since it is a game where the person who is the quickest wins, it is sometimes a struggle to find the balance between giving our son extra time to find the match "first" so that he does not get frustrated and not just letting him win. There are times that he does legitimately find the match first, so it's not too painful. I would recommend this game to anyone with kids our son's age.
6 people found this helpful
on October 9, 2015
I love all of the Spot It! games. Gone Camping was a great addition. We played this for hours the last time we were at the campground. It's very addictive and impossible not to laugh at yourself and each other. It's funny how the names of simple little items are hard to come up with when you are racing to find the match first. We got tongue tied and made up words so many times. It's also funny how you can be sitting there staring right at a match and not see it. One minute you are finding every match fast and winning, and the next minute you would swear there are no matches. I know this game looks simplistic, but this tiny little can is full of tons of good fun.
20 people found this helpful
on May 15, 2013
I have 3 decks of this, as well as 3 decks of the original Spot It game. I use them for teaching ESL and the students love it! I go over the vocabulary first...word by word. We practice pronunciation, the students write the words beside the picture on a handout I have given them. Then we go over the rules of playing. They love it! There is lots of laughter and learning at the same time. One complaint I do have is the Spot It Jr. Animals only has 31 cards in the deck, whereas these others have 55. 31 cards isn't enough. The price is a few dollars less, but it's pitiful to get chintzy and limit the cards! The game moves very quickly already, so with less cards there just aren't enough. Great product, but the Jr. deck is a dumb idea. Very dumb.
25 people found this helpful
on August 15, 2014
This is a fun card game where the cards are round and 3 1/4 inch diameter, and each card has eight different figures pictured on it (out of 50 different ones) in various sizes from lips to sunglasses to igloo. The figures are the same color and shape on every card, for example, the lips are always red and shaped the same, but they may be different sizes on the two different cards. If you put two cards down there will only ever be one match of the figures on any two cards.
There are a variety of games you can play, and we've only played the first one so far. The game is fast paced. It only takes a couple of minutes to play.
I thought my 6 yr. old granddaughter would enjoy this game--she loves board games. We played it a couple of times, and she beat me both times. Then the five year old played with grandpa and he won also. So it's a great game to play with just two people. (I think one person could also have fun challenging himself.) But the real fun was playing with the grand kids' parents. wow! It got loud and crazy and pretty hilarious. At one point we had five playing.
I really like this game. It's very portable--would fit into a purse--and simple enough to learn quickly. There are a variety of these spot it games, some for younger players that use numbers, shapes, etc. The five year old can't read, so the words on this version and some of the symbols were hard for him, but he learned quickly to just grab the card and point to the match, and when he learned the words and symbols (yin/yang, "art", etc.) it didn't hold him back.
Highly recommended!
10 people found this helpful
on May 5, 2017
The possibilities to this game are endless. Make it as easy or difficult as you wish. My 12 & 17 year old boys love to compete. We've had it for about 3 months, play 4x's/wk, and have not grown tired of it yet. There is no distinct advantage as even the younger ones can often "SPOT" matching items before adults do. It's a great teaching tool to help hone in on specific details while ignoring insignificant data, but it's fun as a game. Kids don't even realize they are learning something. Even older adults can enjoy this and it helps them keep their minds sharp. My 7 & 8 year olds (boy & girl) played right along side my 12 & 17 year old kids and everyone had fun. At $15, this was a pricy card game, but it came with a handy tin to hold the odd shaped (round) cards, which made it worth it.
3 people found this helpful
on February 12, 2015
I don’t know if the developers did this on purpose, but this game is basically a fun version of the cognitive regulation tasks done in research studies on cognitive regulation. The premise of this game is to find the matching animals on any two cards– every card has a match. The catch is, each card has animals of different sizes. If you happen to get two cards where the matching animal is large, it is easy– but most often the match is between two different sized animals. The brain automatically focuses on the large animals and the animals with the most contrasting patterns. Thus, children have to suppress that first impulse of the brain and search harder. They also learn that there are multiple “rules” in this game, it isn’t always the big animals that match for example. This means they have to practice switching rules from card to card. This is a cognitive regulation skill that develops slowly from age 3 to 5. This was hard for my son when we first got it — I think he was just three or soon to be three. When we first started I literally stacked the deck– I put all the easier matches first so he would get the hang of it. I don’t do that anymore now that he is 3.5 years, but I notice that he takes much longer on the first matches and then once his brain gets into it, he gets faster. We see this in the studies as well, younger kids make more mistakes and have slower reaction time than older kids. This is a great game to keep in your bag to bring out while waiting at a restaurant and it’s an awesome game to help them practice a skill they are developing during this time.
6 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.