Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home and Garden Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Sputnik Sweetheart: A Novel
Format: Paperback|Change

on April 25, 2017
I'm no writer, so I hesitate to review a book. I can only talk about my feelings while reading it. I'm a giant fan of Murakami's work, and this is one of my favorite books of his that I've read lately.
I was glued to the pages almost immediately. Human loneliness was a big theme in the book and I feel like it really managed to capture that feeling that we all have in varying degrees. I'll admit I teared up once or twice.
The prose is his usual mix of matter-of-fact, poetic and surreal.
I highly recommend this book.
on May 21, 2010
"Sputnik Sweetheart", by Haruki Murakami.

Sumire feels at odds with the world. Her only passion in life to date has been writing though she has had almost no success with it either. K, Sumire's former college classmate and only friend is her only real connection in the world. K has fallen in love with Sumire however the feeling isn't mutual as Sumire has never had that kind of desire for anyone that is until she meets Miu. Sumire takes a job with Miu that eventually leads them to a vacation on an island off the coast of Greece from which Sumire disappears. With no one else to turn to Miu contacts K and he heads off to help in the search...

"Sputnik Sweetheart" is my fifth Murakami experience. "Kafka on the Shore" is still my favorite but "Sputnik Sweetheart", is a good short read from Murakami and captures many of the elements and themes that are prevalent throughout Murakami's works.

The Good: Murakami's writing always draws me in. I always enjoy the characters, the story, the way as the reader you are privy to Japanese culture in small servings, and the always prevalent spiritual and metaphysical elements than run rampant in Murakami's stories. These elements allow him to take what would normally be a relatively simple plot and turn it into a story with depth.

The Bad: Nothing memorable.

Overall: If you are a fan of Murakami's other work you will probably enjoy Sputnik Sweetheart as well. If you haven't tried Murakami before this may not be a bad place to start because it is one of his shorter stories.
on September 27, 2016
I've read a lot of Murakami novels and have to say although this one is quite a good read is the weakest of his novels. The characters aren't quite complex, in my opinion than the ones portraid in, for example, Kafka on the Shore or Colorless Tsukuru... The plot, moreover, isn't seductive enough, you sense the mistery but doesn't feel as compeled to reveal it as you do in other Murakani-san novels. But a good read indeed.
on June 21, 2017
Sputnik Sweetheart, I love the sound of it. I have my Sputnik Sweetheart, and I know I'm not alone in that regard.
This is definitely one of the more accessible of the author's works, and I would recommend it for anyone starting to read Murakami.
Just take your time to savor the moments you get to spend with the characters. They'll leave you too soon.
on August 5, 2015
I've read a lot of Murakami including his somewhat recent 1000-plus page work. Somehow I missed this wonderful gem, "Sputnik Sweetheart." It is beautifully written. I loved all three characters. The whole book feels like a dream - not quite a nightmare, not quite sweet. All of Murakami's major concepts are there -- the unrequited longing, the sense of profound loss and profound sadness, the ability to divide one's self and move into another dimension, maybe come back, maybe not. He is a writer who never ceases to amaze me.
on August 11, 2016
Kind of a sleeper for Murakami, but I really enjoyed this book for its, mostly, straightforward nature. Many people like the way Murakami dabbles in the alternate universe, trip into the mind sort of thing, and I like playing make-believe sometimes, but Murakami's writing really shows what it is made of when he sticks to a more realistic realm.
on September 15, 2017
Another great book by Haruki Murakami, if you are a fan of this author this one is a must.
on September 25, 2015
I give this book three stars mainly because I think it may not translate well. I was waiting for a payoff the entire book and never received one. I read a review saying you have to suspend rationality when reading a Murakami book and I wish I knew that prior to reading this book. It left me more frustrated, than anything else. I like the style of the ending, very open ended and left to interpretation. That's about all I can say.
on June 2, 2014
I ended up enjoying this book far more than I expected. There is one part of the story that I constantly think about: when the women is stuck on the ferris wheel and sees herself in her apartment off in the distance. This notion of alternate realities, or only in strange places where the energy is just right, is a theme of his in some ways, but this story really plays on that angle. Like, you can start living in your dream if you try. Cool idea that only a Murakami book can make seem plausible and natural. One of the reasons I can't stop reading his books.
on June 29, 2017
For a short novel, the characters were surprisingly well rounded. The writers style is easy and the book is very readable and interesting