- Actors: Jude Law, Raad Rawi, Melissa McCarthy, Miranda Hart, Jessica Chaffin
- Format: Multiple Formats, Color, Dubbed, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
- Language: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround)
- Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
- Dubbed: French, Spanish
- Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)
- Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1
- Number of discs: 1
- Rated: RestrictedR
- Studio: 20th Century Fox
- DVD Release Date: September 29, 2015
- Run Time: 120 minutes
- Average Customer Review: 4,902 customer reviews
- ASIN: B013C6OUPO
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,321 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
Other Sellers on Amazon
No enhanced packaging
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Susan Cooper (Melissa McCarthy) is an unassuming, deskbound CIA analyst, and the unsung hero behind the Agency's most dangerous missions. But when her partner (Jude Law) falls off the grid and another top agent (Jason Statham) is compromised, she volunteers to go deep undercover to infiltrate the world of a deadly arms dealer, and prevent a global disaster.
Top customer reviews
Melissa McCarthy plays Susan Cooper, who works in a British Intelligence agency. Instead of being in the field, her role is to serve as the eyes and ears of people who are, giving them information and providing them with help to allow them to finish their missions unscathed. She's usually asigned to work with Bradley Fine (Jude Law), who's her secret crush and once he's killed by an enemy who seems to know the identities of all the agency's field agents, she's forced to take the job in order to retrieve a nuclear device and avenge Bradley's death.
The first thing to notice is that the movie avoids the classic "bumbling idiot lucks into success" plot. Susan is clearly an effective, smart and well trained agent, she simply stays on the computers because that's what she prefers. Every time things go right for her it's due to her prowess rather than chance. The same goes for the villain played by Rose Byrne, who doesn't just easily buy the agent's cover and is reasonably suspicious when it's warranted. Also, importantly, this movie doesn't rely on silly slapstick and fat jokes for its humor.
The real stand-out of the film, though, is Jason Statham. He plays a character that's basically a mockery of the usual one-man army guy he plays, someone who only believes himself to be as effective as those men usually are. It's a really entertaining character, who never loses faith in his awesomeness despite reality constantly showing him he absolutely should. Statham is clearly having the time of his life playing the character.
If I have a complaint about this film is that most of the other characters are a bit too generic. Melissa McCarthy is known for playing only two roles: the cutesy, innocent introvert and the foul-mouthed, masculine brawler, and in this movie she plays both. Her best friend is exactly the kind of character who you expect the protagonist's best friend to be like in a movie like this one. And the other villains are quite more than a bit predictable.
Those complaints are small, though, and the movie is still a blast. I definitely recommend it.
She plays Susan Cooper a CIA agent, but relegated to a desk job, as the eyes and ears of Jude Lsw, a super spy. Then, comes her turn, along with Miranda Hart, the funny woman from the UK, she goes out on the job, Miranda is her eyes and ears. Alison Janney plays the head of the CIA, and is superior in every way. Jason Statham, another super spy with an ego to boot has gone rogue and one of McCarthy's new identities rescues him at every turn. A lot of laughs, particularly when Rose Byrne comes aboard. McCarthy is at her best when she is playing off another character, and this is her film.
Great script and superb acting by McCarthey and crew. A film not to miss.
Recommended. prisrob 10-02-15
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > Action > General
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > All Fox Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > Comedy