Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 133 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 146 reviews
on January 12, 2015
This was a Christmas gift for my husband and he has had a great time playing around with the Spy Pen. I recommend downloading the manual to get help and tips. The Spy Pen is of superb quality and does a fine job with pictures and video as long as you have reasonable expectations.
on December 20, 2014
I did not expect this to be "HD quality" video as it was in such difficult packaging for a camera with the low price. It is very difficult to create a decent quality camera and make it look like a pen, and Spycrushers did not do that with this product.

It does take very grainy, but usable for some applications, 720x480 video with sound. However, it is very difficult to get pointed to where you want it. It will take some tedious practice to get where you can reliable capture your intended subject. It does look like a pen and if clipped into a shirt pocket (if your un-hip enough to have shirts with pockets) few people would suspect you are carrying a camera. Unfortunately, when clipped into a shirt pocket the camera is actually pointed at the ceiling about 4-6 feet in front of you. Not much good for capturing clandestine footage. The camera that I have also sticks some date in Dec. 2181 on all the videos and photographs. The manual describes how this is supposed to be controlled, but I have tried and tried again and cannot get it to set to the current date or even get rid of the date altogether. This just makes it unusable for many of the few applications where the device might be useful.

The main purpose I purchased was for it's webcam function. I had an idea in mind where the slender design of this camera would be useful. However, the webcam video from this camera is just too pathetic to be usable. I've tried it with different software and there is just nothing that can be done with it. A person looks okay if they are not moving, but the slow speed makes the person look odd and unnatural when they move or speak. I won't be able to use it at all.

Oh, but as a pen it actually works pretty good. So, if you need an expensive pen that is also a crappy camera then you will be satisfied with this product.
on September 22, 2017
I have read the instructions online, while the pen's buttons function as described, the pictures are all blurry. There seems to be no way to focus either. I tried different angles and distances but nothing seemed to work. For example I held the pen 2-3 feet above a phone book and you can't even see what the item was, making out the large font on cover wasn't possible either. I mean that you could not even tell that there was words, making out any portion of the item was out of the question. I tried the video function as well and while the files were there, they would not play. This was absolutely the worst purchase I have ever made. I'm very surprised that Amazon would act as the fulfillment center for this item. Seriously, I haven't been this disappointed since I was a kid 40 years ago and ordered "sea monkeys" from a comic book!
on December 2, 2015
I found many suspicious reviews of spy pens of the many available. Went with Spycrushers because they have lengthy video on their site as to how to use. So paid more for this one because of that.

It does work despite some of the reviews Both video and audio is acceptable, and it works indoors and out, does well in light changes. The pen is a little big but not that noticeable. This model has less barrel above the clip than others, another reason got it., makes it less noticeable. I may try to do buttonhole mount for it so pen can not be seen.

At first thought the worst thing about it was it was pointed too high, thought defect. Then today realized that due to the fact it is not very wide angle it is on purpose to frame head of person you talk to, and indeed with mirror test it framed me right at arms length, it has to point up. In room 12 feet away it gets mostly ceiling.

So one negative, wish it was wider angle and was expecting that, if anyone is listening, double the field of view.

Its finicky, sometimes PC recognizes it, other times not. I sometimes plug it in 4 times to get it to read. Also on going video, you have to release it immediately (button) when it flashes to get it into video. So be prepared to mess with it a while before getting it to work right. But it does work, and for $25 decently.
on December 1, 2014
I haven't had a chance to use it much. The times I have used it everything was great. Very easy to use and transfer photos and video to my computer. Great value for the price.
on April 1, 2015
It's a fun toy, the video quality is decent but *not* HD. The audio quality is subpar and distorts if the pen is too close to a sound source. On account of the cheapo SD card, pictures come out blurry if you don't hold still and wait a few seconds after pressing the button to take a picture.
The pen clip falls off too easily, and looking at it, it's amazing that it's attached at all. The company did, however, send me multiple extra pen clips free of charge when I brought this issue up with them and generally kept in contact with me (they approached me) throughout the first few weeks of ownership (though they asked me what I thought, I told them a lot of what was written here and didn't get a response)
Going by the $10 increase in price for the 8GB spy pen (bought this one for $30) I wish they'd sell this pen without an SD card for $19.99 because the included SD card is pathetic, you can easily find class 10 micro SD cards on this site for half of what they're charging, which seems to be $2.50 per GB.
I also wish there was a way to remove the time stamp completely, I asked them if it was possible and got no response.
As far as battery life goes, I'm testing it but generally I have no idea yet, and 30 days to figure that out isn't really enough time, but I've managed to record over an hour in one sitting and still has battery life left. (Battery was drained completely once and then fully recharged) There isn't a replaceable battery so I'm left wondering once the battery dies, how would someone go about replacing it instead of buying an entirely new pen? Again, received no answer to that question.
Only other issue would be that the central metallic looking piece of the pen isn't really attached to the part with the clip. As a matter of fact, if you just pull on it, it will expose the circuit board inside. This reflects on their lacking build quality but is generally harmless to the pen if you're careful.

To conclude, I have to say it's biggest downside is the price because of the crappy SD card, they should remove the sd card and knock off $10, then this would be okay as a novelty.

I'll update this review if it becomes inoperable or the battery dies.

Update 4/25/2015: I learned today that they send you outdated user manuals and that the time-stamp cannot be removed (something which is more of a hindrance than a feature).
on May 21, 2015
This pen is a PIECE! It's flimsy, the quality is bad, and I can never tell if it's even set to take pictures or video. Two red lights are constantly blinking and I can't find out why. I have "charged" this in my laptop to try to correct the issue to no avail. It's also really hard to angle the camera right. Wish I had not wasted my money.
on November 4, 2014
This product is garbage. I got it and started testing it out, the camera doesn't seem to point forward but more upwards. When I plugged it into the computer to view my videos it would only pull them up half of the time. What a waste of time and money.
on April 10, 2016
Awesome multi use camera for the money as a personal meeting camera but more importantly to me as a radio control heli cam. Despite RC heli shaking, images clearly visible. Camera holds up! Don't expect Phantom 4 drone video stability or wide angle lenses. Enjoy your flying experience over cool direct below heli scenery while hovering and even fast forward flight.
on August 30, 2014
its a low quality product but OK at this price. material of the pen is so cheap and you have to hold it very carefully.
the video quality is OK though.