Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 17 reviews
on October 22, 2012
I really wanted to like this knife, and kind of do, but I think spyderco wasn't sure where they were going on this one. I am sure spyderco chose blue because it has been a very popular sprint run color for them, but the g10 just isn't as grippy as some other offerings. The lock is what the sage series is all about and I know this is supposed to be the blackie Collins bolt action, but it is undeniable that they intended for this to look and feel like an axis lock (the difference is in the internals), but it ends up not locking up with as much conviction as either the bolt action or the axis. The other down side is the detent, I can flick this blade open without touching the lock or the actual blade, just holding the scales and flicking my wrist, I would think in such a knife, a stronger lock spring would offer better detent. Now let me talk positive, this is a great size and shape knife with a great steel. If you want a sage I would look at the others first (this still has value in rounding out a collection), if you want a blue knife I would get a sprint run paramilitary 2 or a bench made custom griptillian, if you want a knife of this size with a thmbhole I would get a either an other sage or a bench made 555, if you want an axis style lock, get a bench made. All of this said, I own this knife, do not intend to sell it and I enjoy it for what it is, not the best in class, but a nice little niche knife to look at and use for small things.
on July 11, 2013
When I got this knife, I was surprised that it had captured liners (the liners are not visible like say, the Spyderco Ambitious.) Also, it has a full length back spacer the same color as the scales. I was a little unhappy at first because it was not your typical folder design but I have since grown to really like these features. When opened, the handle feels closer to a fixed-balde. The workmanship is very tight. The bolt action lock looks similar to, but works a little differently then an Axis Lock. I find the spring is more stiff on this Spyderco Bolt Action Lock than on my Benchmade Griptilian's Axis Lock. The only minor flaw is near the top of the Spyderhole where the grind isn't totally perfect. This you need to get up close to see and most people probably wouldn't notice it. The knife is CPM S30V, which is a great steel, especially for the price. I like the simplicity of the wire clip and my only criticism is the clip could be more stiff. But other than that, I'm totally happy and would highly recommend.
on March 14, 2013
This knife was a little larger, overall, than I imagined it to be, in terms of the heftiness of the handle. It has a great grip, and the bolt-action lock wroks very smoothly. I really feal that the blade is secure while in the open position. Most important, the blade is razor sharp, and because of the flat grind, is very easy to keep that way. S30v steel has a rendency toward brittleness, and thin blades made of it can shatter. I really cannot see this blade taking damage from a reasonable drop.
I gave it 4 stars, because I would rather have had FRN scales for the handle, which is an aesthetic concern only.
on May 29, 2013
The fit and finish on this knife is top notch. I love the color. The blade is the perfect size and comes extremely sharp. It fits perfectly in my hand and the texture is just the right amount of grip without being too tough on the hands. It opens very smooth and locks firmly in place every time. The release is easy to engage. It is the perfect knife. I carry it everywhere. Buy this knife. You will love it.
on May 7, 2012
As with the other Sage's this is a great knife but for me it doesn't do anything. Because it's a Sage it has all the great user aspects down pat but for me aesthetically it's just not pleasing. The homage to Blackie Collins with it's bolt action lock, which does work very well, is cool but why the cheesy blue color? Is that a nod to Blackie's American built "Blue Line"? Also the G-10 scales feel cheap to me, especially in comparison to the 1,2 and 4 models. It opens insanely fast like the others however it doesn't have that same audible conviction as the others.

Of all 4 versions the knife comes in, the 3 is probably the least threatening looking which is a plus. It has the most grip (especially if wet) and I suppose the easiest to find if you drop it in the weeds. However I only own it because I wanted a complete series. Given the choice between the four it would be the last one I'd chose.
on May 25, 2015
It is too heavy, too expensive and the lock is hard to use. A good mid lockback such as the Chaparral, Native or Delica/Endura would be much better buys IMO.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2016
Great product Great seller. Thanks
on April 8, 2013
This is a very good looking knife that works really good.

Pluses: The lock action is smooth. Very sharp. Great Steel. Good ergonomics.

Minuses: The spider hole for opening the knife is not as smooth as it should be.
on March 4, 2013
Incredible knife - purchased more as a novelty, one of those "I've got to have knives" for my collection...however, I find myself carrying it all the time !
on August 6, 2014
Great knife. Release a little slow to close.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question