Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Platform: PC Download|Change
Price:$5.00

Showing 1-10 of 774 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 910 reviews
on November 21, 2015
The Overall:
I really enjoyed this game overall. I found the physical control of gameplay to be realistic and easy to adapt to, even using a PC keyboard. Lara’s animations for shooting, running, jumping, and climbing are all spot on, and have the right feel to them. Her movement through the environment is the star of this gaming experience (and not just because she’s attractive). The story is solid, but a little predictable. The tertiary characters are a little flat and one dimensional at times. Lara is definitely the star of the game, and she’s alone through much of the game.

The graphics are very good when played on high settings, and they’re not bad even if your system requires you to back off some.
I liked the story and the sneaking around nature of most of the gameplay. It, like other Lara Croft adventures, reminded me of an interactive Indiana Jones movie. The gun play is efficient and weapon upgrades are plentiful. It was especially fun to silently approach enemies and dispatch them quickly, before comrades noticed or could come to help. None of the gameplay was difficult, but some of the situations required a little thinking to solve. I would say the difficulty was good, but on the easy side of the scale.

The Bad:
On the downside, I did have moments when my suspension of disbelief was challenged; such as, why are there so many zip lines all over this island? This crew of adversaries has mostly undeveloped living conditions, but they had time to construct zip lines in even the most remote locations of this island? Also some of the bosses, one in particular, only had one way he could be killed. A shotgun blast couldn’t do what a handheld climbing pick could do?

I also found it disappointing that the game is pretty much completely over once you reach the end. The enemies don’t respawn, so a trip back to a previous battle location is pointless unless you’re just going to collect a few missed artifacts. I would love to repeat some of the battles or just roam around hunting bad guys, but it’s not possible without a replay of the campaign.

One last thing, the game is very linear. While this is not always a bad thing, this game would be so much more awesome in an open world environment.

It was definitely worth the money. I enjoyed it a lot, but a few changes could have made it so much better for me.
on October 6, 2014
This is the first Tomb Raider game I have ever played. Overall it was fun. Not really my kind of game but in the end still a quality and fun piece of entertainment. As always my reviews are split into 3 categories, story, gameplay, and characters.

Story: 7/10
The story is pretty basic. Good but basic. Really reminded me of an Uncharted storyline. Basically you are shipwrecked on a mystical island and come to find out there are other survivors. You end up going on a perilous mission to rescue your friends and escape the island. The story keeps you going. It is entertaining...but it does begin to drag on a bit. If you didn't explore and went straight through and only did story you could probably beat it in about 12-13 hours. It took me 16 because I wanted to do a bit extra. Really I think this should have been about a 10 hour game. And the story is quite predictable as well. Nonetheless, it was an adequate story that did keep you going through the game.

Gameplay: 8.5/10
Like most shooters and survival games, the gameplay is really the star of the show. The shooting mechanics are fantastic in this game IMO. Climbing, jumping all the basics are superbly done. All of the survival minigames are done well as well. And the death scenes...wow...just...wow are they dark. But well done. Finding the artifacts and diaries are also really fun and help unlock some of the mysteries of the island.

My issues with the gameplay are all very minor but they add up. First, besides a few little optional dungeons, there aren't really any sidequests that take you off the beaten paths to do some cool exploring. The optional puzzle dungeons are fun but the rewards were often not much more than a bunch of scrap. No cool weapons or artifacts...just more scrap.

Characters 7/10

First off, they did Lara extremely well. Nice backstory. Nice development. Really great. Roth was also a quality character. Unfortunately, the rest of the cast was little more than back drop and not really that interesting. Alex and Whitman were memorable due to the parts they played in the stories. But really what carries this is the great job Squeenix did with Lara Croft. After all, she is the one you are playing.

Overall: 8/10
on December 3, 2014
I've played all the Tomb Raider games starting back in the 90's and this game has the same thrill as the first Tomb Raider, which is hard to do considering the expectations are so much higher now. I can't imagine a game being better than this, TBH. If I were going to idealize the best possible game I could imagine, it wouldn't have been as good as this game! No kidding, this game really puts you right in the action just perfectly, with a good story, good cut scenes, and phenomenal combat. The programmers looked at the old Tomb Raider games, which were really good especially for their time, and made it better, made it as good as I can possibly imagine it being. I can see a great future for these programmers.

It boggles my mind how much went into making this massive game, the scenery is phenomenal, the howling wind, the beautiful landscapes, the detail is just amazing! And for $3.99? I just wonder why it was so cheap?How anyone can give this less than 5 stars is beyond me. All I can think is that they try to play it on an old computer and it doesn't work.
on April 25, 2017
One would be remiss to expect a deep and thought provoking story from this game. What you do get is a crazy over the top action/platformer that is definitely worth your time to play. Fast paced combat with a sense of urgency, coupled with a decent weapon variety keeps fights reasonably fresh and exciting as you continue on. During the platforming bits you'll find yourself evading rock-slides and explosions aplenty, kind of like what you find in a Michael Bay movie. It's an absurd kind of fun, but changing environments keep you on your toes for an enjoyable challenge. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous and will probably give your machine a workout if you aren't at the higher end of midrange specs these days. With two 650 Ti's in sli I managed to run it well at mid-high settings, when I upgraded to a 970 I got about 45-55 fps ultra, but without hair-works steady 60 fps was easy to attain.
on July 5, 2015
The reboot of the Tomb Raider series took some unexpected turns and I had some unexpected feelings about them. All in all, it was a very solid game. It didn’t exactly know what it was and what it wanted to do, but I did know exactly who it wanted Lara Croft to be and knew exactly how to approach her as a character. At the beginning of the game, Lara is taking an expedition with her crew. The ship crashes on an island and Lara wakes up in a tomb by herself, tied up and left for dead. The feeling that I got in the first bit of the game perfectly encompasses the feeling that I got in every other mission; that no matter how awesome I think I am, I do not want to be Lara Croft. In the first 30 minutes of game-play, she goes through more than I have ever seen a main character go through in a video game, and she takes it like a man.

The adventure aspect is overall stunning, and the gameplay is fantastic. The graphics look mind-blowing, and Lara as a character will surprise you. It’s a great game, and is arguably one of the most under-appreciated games of the generation. Overall, Tomb Raider was an excellent reboot with plenty of spine-chilling moments and is complete with a stunning main character. It will give you at least a solid 12 hours of enjoyment, and you won’t leave unsatisfied.

Story: 12/15 Visual Appeal: 9/10
Characters: 12/15 Audio Appeal: 9/10
Gameplay: 10/15 Machanics: 7/10
Atmosphere: 13/15 Congruency: 8/10
Cost: $19.99 Worth: $24.99

Overall: 80%
on January 2, 2016
I've been a longtime player of Tomb Raider on the PC, back from the early days of Eidos' first version available for Win 95, till their most recent incarnations with Tomb Raider Anniversary, Tomb Raider Legend, and Tomb Raider Underworld (which was made by Crystal Dynamics who produced this version). With that being said:
1) Do I understand the need for a Tomb Raider reboot? Absolutely.

2) Do I like Laura's new look? Yep.

3) Are the graphics and visuals amazing on the game at full resolution, even on my 5+ year old (but still overclocked) system? Yep !

4) Am I crazy about the fact that the game has gone from being about mostly solving puzzles, to being Call Of Tomb Raider? Not so much. I racked up Arrow Head-shots in this game before I even knew you could unlock a special sight on your weapon and gain extra XP (experience points) for doing so, and Laura's axe kills are way beyond anything you could do in Tomb Raider Legend (for example, which I still play from time to time). But it gets kind of distracting that just as the game seems like its done with Laura being a Black Ops soldier (just off instinct btw), and finally lets you do some exploring, here comes another scene of Call of Tomb Raider where you have to take care of 25 or 30+ guys with computer AI that somehow always has perfect line of sight on Laura whenever she is discovered. Am I saying that it isn't fun the first few times that Laura has to murk a few hordes of these sailors (or whatever) who have become mindless followers of their "leader" in the game, no, but after about the 5th to 10th time it gets really annoying and repetitive. I would like to see in a FUTURE GAME, where in like Mirror's Edge (or even the old Metal Gear games) style the game actually rewards a player for being able to avoid combat using stealth and avoidance tactics, yes you can use stealth tactics in this game but there are too many parts where Laura fighting multiple enemies just becomes unavoidable.

5) The Story is good and the Visual looks great, I even like the fact that they introduced a new kind of adopted-father figure for Laura, rather than sticking to the she was raised by her father story-line of the older games.

6) MULTIPLAYER MODE - This was a first but the game also has a multiplayer mode, but I don't think there are many people who are active on the games servers, and its take some getting used to if you're more used to playing first person shooters online. There are more maps and levels available and they are all dirt cheap now on the Steam store, but my guess is maybe some people have given up on playing this in multiplayer and are waiting for the release of RISE OF THE TOMBRAIDER to see if more of the kinks got worked out.

7) Do I recommend this game? Yes, but NOT for YOUNGER gamers (unlike some of the older Tomb Raiders), even though Tomb Raider Underworld had some dark parts, this game is very graphic when you kill and enemy, particularly when you neck shoot an enemy with a flame arrow and then hear them both burn and choke at the same, (sorry but those are the kind scenes there are ). Sometimes the kills are violent to the point of being hilarious (let me explain), in one scene the leader for some weird reason wants Laura taken alive (after every other group is killed on the spot besides Laura's, but anyway), but then the minute Laura gets into a fight with the AI soldiers (did I mention the AI is much tougher in this game) and one gets close enough to Laura to kill her, they either string her up or kill her with an axe, or some other weird way, and all you hear is them congratulating themselves saying "Hooray the outsider is dead", wait just a minute ago their supreme leader wanted her captured alive, wt heck? Did I mention Laura can get mauled by wolves? Is it fun to avoid? Yes the first few times, but again I definitely wouldn't recommend this for adolescents or anyone younger than their teens maybe not even early teens, but not much different from a lot games these days (e.g. Grand Theft Auto IV - with its strip club scene, and police shoot outs), and it still manages to keep enough elements of the classic Tomb Raider games (puzzle solving, and exploring) to stay interesting.

Also recommend:
Tomb Raider: Underworld [Online Game Code]
Tomb Raider: Anniversary [Download]
Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition [Online Game Code]
Just Cause 2 [Download]
Far Cry 3 [Download]
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2014
Now, disclaimer: I came into this game without playing any other TR games, and as such, I can't make [m]any comparisons.

This is a great game for those of you looking for a new survival/rpg to pick up. A lot of people have bashed it for being an Uncharted clone dressed in Lara's clothes. I'll tell you, it definitely feels like Uncharted in more ways than one, but in my opinion, thats a good thing. The gameplay is pretty fluid and fairly intuitive, and I found myself going along with the story and getting emotionally involved.

I think this review is going to devolve into a pros and cons list.

Pros:
• fun gameplay
• decent story
• great graphics
• fun
• good acting
• interesting characters
• decently challenging

Cons:
• several mechanics that don't do anything (eg. hunting and foraging are not even remotely necessary)
• really ugly subtitles, like yellow and pink and highlighted
• the physics system is not that believable

Other:
• the gameplay feels kind of weird, not necessarily bad. It takes me a while to adjust to the feel of it after I've been playing something else, and vice-versa.
• Lara's personality differs from the classic TR games

tl;dr Get the game, it's a steal at this price. Definitely worth it.
on April 19, 2017
I had a great time playing this game. It was short and some of the graphics were pretty janky by today's standards (the blood). But over all I recommend. It would be great if they brought the ps4 version to pc. I would recommend that one over this one. But, I got a really good deal on this version So I am happy. Made me a fan of the series.
on March 24, 2014
Three words that can't do justice enough to describe this game. This is really more than a game, its about discovery of an island and Lara's self belief, the secrets that hide in the world and what good game development can really produce.

1. Story - 3.5/5 - An important part of any game for me is story and this game has a pretty decent one. A shipwrecked crew on an island searching for a mysterious past, filled with modern day beliefs and ancient cults. One discovery after another makes this game a really fast paced adventure. As crew member relations develop and yet feel shallow at moments, it is a mix of emotions. At times, I felt sorry for the people trapped on the island (The Solarii and other factions), they had no other resort but to follow a cultist leader. They did not choose that fate, nobody did. All this and much more can be found in side conversations.

2. GamePlay - 4.5/5 - Gameplay is as solid as you will find in any Action/Adventure games and probably that is the strongest point of this title. Handling and shooting guns feels natural, killing foes with bow is just amazing. As Lara becomes more and more adept at firing arrows, (with upgrades) the game feels great. The AI is superb and enemies attack, flank, throw grenades and rush Lara (all this adds to the intense fights). There is a perfect balance of tools that Lara has to counter the foes she faces. The puzzles do feel too easy at times and they do not seem to make an impact on the game as was prominent in older Tomb raider games. This is definitely more action-oriented.

3. Graphics - 4.5/5 - The graphics are top-notch. I played the games in 1600*900 and it looked amazing with Post pocessing affects. Lighting is superb and the textures are very well done. As you would expect from an adventure game, each detail pops out, be it from a simple vase on a shelf or the staues of the Queen. The art is very vivid. Most praise should be given to the surroundings and the varied areas to explore.

4. Immersive Soundtrack - 4.0/5 - The soundtrack in this game is good. It ups the tempo in tense firefights and tones down while navigating areas. Exploring tombs is more fun with the sweet sound of achievement. The voice- acting could have been done better but atleast the main characters (Lara, Roth, Mathias) have given a solid performance.

All in all, I enjoyed playing this game. Even though the Boss fight in the end was easier than I anticipated (Hard Mode), it was fun.

Hope you will enjoy playing this game, just as much as I did. And oh, pick up this game on sale, its usually $7.00 on steam and amazon.
on May 22, 2015
This is the best action movie disguised as a video game I've ever played. Things it has going for it:

- Stunning cinematography. Camera work is effortless and extremely cinematic.
- Varied, interactive, relatively dynamic environments.
- PROGRESS autosave. I've played games where autosave became a liability in the middle of a firefight. TR will save every little thing you collect and baddie you kill and respawn you nearby, but OUT of harm's way.
- Collectibles come in what I consider two forms: Story-enriching and Lara-vendetta-enriching. Both feel genuine to the story.
- Obviously, the graphics in this game are incredible, if your computer doesn't die trying to run them. An i7 laptop with 16GB RAM and a dedicated 840M graphics card is able to handle medium with no lag and high with minor lag. Ultra is the PC punisher but it looks glorious. I set it for my non-action cut scenes because it's just so tasty, even with the lag.

Things TR struggles with:
- Some cast members you care about. Some you don't. It reads like an action movie, so don't read too much into the more 2-dimensional characters.
- If one NPC saw you in an area, it's murder time. It doesn't matter how well you sneak after even one baddie sees you, they're all psychic now.
- Needz moar toomz

Honestly, a patch for the NPCs and some DLC for extra tombs/puzzles would make this game incredible. Still, it's 9/10, and I round up.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.