Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

SquareTrade 2-Year Laptop Protection Plan ($250 - 300)
Service plan term: 2 Years|Service plan covered value: $ 250-$300|Change
Price:$8.32+ Free shipping

on February 20, 2015
I am a loyal Square Trade customer and had never had an issue with any of their warranty coverage until now. I ordered a Samsung Chromebook last year. As with any electronic device, I chose what I thought was the ACCIDENTAL coverage. I am very careful with my items but an accident can happen at any time, so I always buy the ACCIDENTAL coverage. Well, up until now I have NEVER had to make a claim. But lo and behold, my Chromebook(which I love) had an accident. I was upset but only for a moment because I remembered, Hey I have Coverage from SquareTrade, I will just make my claim send it in and have a new one in a few weeks.BUT, when I called to file my claim, I was informed I only had LapTop Protection and NOT Accidental. I said there must be some mistake because if you look at my account, all of my items that are eligible for ACCIDENTAL coverage have it. They said no, yours only covers software/hardware and internal issues. I said WHY WOULD I HAVE that coverage ONLY for a Chromebook when hardware/software issues rarely if ever happen with Chromebooks. Well after many calls with Amazon and ST, my issue still has not been resolved. I have since had to make two claims on other items I have with ST and it was a simple and easy process. But with this particular item, which I value highly and used daily before the accident, Amazon Nor Squaretrade have resolved it. The computer works fine but the body is cracked from the accident. The screen is even still intact(Go Figure).

BUYER BEWARE!!!!

The Square Trade offered on my item was either intentionally deceptive or there was glitch in the ordering system that day. I don't ever make errors of this nature when it comes to electronics or most other things. I am a very angry customer. I have been buying from Amazon since they were just a book seller. To their credit, this is the first issue they have not resolved but it is the one that I needed corrected the most.

For kicks, I just went through the ordering process to see what Square Trade plan popped up for the same Samsung Chromebook and amazingly, the ACCIDENT PLAN was there........hmmm..........
11 comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 8, 2016
These warranties are fine but BE CAREFUL! The Amazon Squaretrade warranties will only cover products purchased through Amazon. I purchased a laptop through Best Buy and subsequently purchased the ST warranty through Amazon. Thank goodness I called Squaretrade directly to inquire about the terms of the warranty! It was then I was informed that any claims would have been denied in the future due to purchasing the product through Amazon. I cancelled the Amazon-purchased warranty, and bought a replacement one directly through Squaretrade (which was equivalently-priced, but also included accidental damage from handling [ADH], which was not covered through the Amazon-purchased one). The moral of the story - once you buy your warranty, call the company and make sure that what you think you bought is actually what you purchased!
on May 8, 2014
This was the first non-manufacturer warranty I ever bought, and I've used SquareTrade for every expensive electronic item I've purchased since. I'd actually never used a warranty before, and wasn't really expecting to when I bought this, but it was fairly cheap, so I went with it. About two years into my three years, my laptop had a really annoying hardware malfunction. It was fast and easy to file a claim, they sent me a box to ship my laptop in free of charge, and I had it back fixed within two weeks. I think all I really needed was some new thermal paste, but they replaced my entire hard drive (with a better one) and coped all my files to the new one. This was the only claim I've ever filed, but when I needed it, they were fast and efficient. I've never purchased the drop/spill coverage, so I can't say how easy it would've been to file a claim in that case, but I was quite impressed with how easy SquareTrade was to work with. I'll definitely keep using them in the future.
on December 27, 2013
Brick and mortar electronic stores offer almost a no-questions-asked returns policy when selling these type warranties: damage outside of normal wear and tear,n o mater what. We purchased this warranty because of the bad product quality reviews on the chrome book purchased. Especially how the MFGs do not cover broken screens even though they were defective not at fault of the user. But when we read the fine print closely, the warranty says only covers damage due to poor MFG but lays it on thick what does not cover and that includes just about everything except the MFG forgetting to solder components to the PC boards. So Buying this warranty is a gamble and not a feel-good decision.
on August 14, 2015
What a ripoff! We made 7 or 8 telephone calls, first to their schedulers, and later to their technicians. There was just one excuse after another -- never a yes or no answer, always another hoop for us to jump through. We really never got to the point of attempting a diagnosis. We spent hours and hours in long phone queues, and finally gave up.
Save your money. This was just an extraordinarily frustrating experience.
on January 23, 2018
This warranty is misrepresented on the description because when I asked for return authorization from Square Trade to repair a crack in the shell they told me that accidents are not covered. This is definitely not an "Accident Protection Plan".
on March 24, 2010
First issue I had was I couldn't read the entire agreement until AFTER purchase, and then the full terms were sent via email and hyperlink.

Main problem I saw right away is that their "lemon" policy wasn't nearly as good as the "quick" amazon description in that it failed to note the limitation of needing 4 repair attempts ON THE SAME ISSUE before this policy kicked in. Boy, theoretically this could leave you without your new computer for MONTHS!

Further, Squaretrade reserves the right to use its sole discretion to decide if a "comparable" item be substituted (of equal or lesser value) or if a refund is issued. I don't like this ambiguity. This was reason enough for me to cancel and take my chances with the manufacturers warranty.

Your mileage may vary.
33 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 16, 2010
I recently purchased what could be considered a "low end" laptop - ACER - from Amazon.com for less than $400 (it's great). I also purchased this very reasonably priced 3-year warranty from Square Trade for $59.00. $59.00 is cheap insurance to accompany an inexpensive laptop - because if the laptop lasts me three years then I will have gotten my money's worth and the warranty keeps me protected for the lifetime of my PC. I was having a problem, it turned out to be with my virus software, but I wasn't sure so I called Square Trade. I got through immediately and had excellent tech support from them. I am very happy that I purchased this warranty. It makes sense to me to buy cheap hardware and use it for three years, with the accompanying warranty, and then buy something else in three years which is the average life of these things anyway.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 5, 2013
I found a great deal on a laptop, but it was pre-owned, meaning it only had a thirty day warranty. It was a laptop I'd never have been able to afford to buy new. Thanks to this warranty, I could buy the laptop I really wanted, knowing that if anything did go wrong I wasn't going to lose my money. Even when you buy from a reliable seller it is smart to back up pre-owned electronics with a good warranty.
on February 26, 2013
I bought this warranty with my laptop around two years ago. About half a year in the battery on the laptop was not doing well - contacted Squaretrade and they told me to take it through the manufacturer's warranty because it was still covered.

So first rule of Squaretrade is: your 3-year warranty is actually 2. They lied. Sure, not "technically", but if I thought the manufacturer's warranty was worth a damn I wouldn't have bought this one.

Next time I needed the warranty was recent (and inspiring this review). I had a touch screen problem. I filed a claim, they sent a box out in a few days. I sent the laptop in. A week and a half later (they say they sent it out within two days of receiving it, but don't forget to add all those "shipping delays") I got the laptop back "repaired". Except it wasn't. They didn't do anything to it. It's exactly the same, mechanically, and all the problems were mechanical! So now I've been unable to use my laptop for two, going on three weeks... and they haven't even started to repair it.

So second rule of Squaretrade is: don't count on that BS 5-day turn around time. They are either idiots or they think their customers are idiots who won't notice if they DIDN'T EVEN DO ANYTHING. They reinstalled the OS and say they "ran diagnostics" (even though the problem is obviously hardware, the touch screen doesn't work in one specific area.) But hey, TECHNICALLY they returned it in 5 days right??? (Let's not consider shipping time, the time it will take to reinstall everything, etc... AND THAT THEY DIDN'T FIX IT.)

Scam artists with the technicalities. If you're thinking of buying this warranty, CAREFULLY consider these downsides because it may just be extra money thrown into the wind. In the mean time I'm glad my warranty is still valid for another year because I might be sending the laptop back and forth for that long.

I see a lot of the positive reviews claiming the warranty is great without any details about their actual experience (or if they've had to file a claim)... for the amount of extra money I expected this warranty to be much better.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.