Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

SquareTrade 2-Year PC Peripherals Protection Plan ($100-$125)
Service plan term: 2 Years|Service plan covered value: $100-$125|Change
Price:$1.50+ Free shipping

on October 20, 2016
My Horrible SquareTrade Experience:

I purchased a Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8" Inch Screen LED Monitor through Amazon on July 16, 2016. I added a SquareTrade 3-Year PC Peripherals Protection Plan ($200-$250). The monitor developed a screen problem, a thin "dead" line running across it noticeable when scrolling up and down.
SquareTrade 3-Year PC Peripherals Protection Plan ($200-$250)

After contacting SquareTrade via Amazon, I received a response on Sep. 30 requesting my warranty information. I received email instructions to call "Finn" at 1-877-927-7268.

On Wed., Oct 12 I called SquareTrade at 10:30 AM. After 37 minutes on hold listening to muzak I was connected to Daniel Johnson (Claims). After explaining my situation, he transferred me to Sam (Computers), after a wait on hold for another 16 minutes. Sam transferred me to Eddie (Electronics) after being on hold for another 13 minutes.

Eddie informed me that my monitor was still under warranty by Dell, that I needed to contact Dell first for warranty coverage (1-800-624-9897). Eddie transferred me to Dell.

After answering many questions as to the monitor's providence, Dell informed me that the monitor was built 2 years, 11 months, and 18 days ago and was no longer covered under Dell's one-year warranty. I was advised to contact Amazon. (At this point, I had over 3 hours invested this morning in this quixotic quest, and counting.)

I called Amazon, spoke with Tiffany. She told me Amazon only warranties this purchase for 30-days after purchase (which I learned when this circular firing squad began weeks ago). She told me it "should be" covered under my SquareTrade contract, that I "shouldn't have to" go through this ordeal. She advised that I call SquareTrade. I told her once again that I'd been there, done that, and here I am. She promised that she'd email SquareTrade about this situation. I told her that I WILL NOT respond to SquareTrade's request to call them AGAIN only to waste hours on hold only to begin this circular firing squad all over again. She said she'd request that THEY call ME. I told her "When the phone doesn't ring I'll know it's SquareTrade."

UPDATE: Oct 20, 2016

SquareTrade never contacted me per Amazon's request. I had been advised by Amazon to give SquareTrade two business days to reply. When three had passed without a word from SquareTrade I called and spoke with Amazon again. The gentleman I spoke with couldn't understand why everyone was giving me such a hard time, such a run-around. He simply processed a full replacement, shipped it one-day delivery. It arrived today. I set it up and it seems to be running perfectly. Sheesh, what an ordeal, but thank you to the last Amazon customer support guy for restoring my faith in Amazon. I even reactivated my Amazon Prime membership, which I had dropped after last week's run-around.

I have just requested a full refund from SquareTrade. I'll update here when/if I receive a response, or if I need to pursue that further as well.

UPDATE: Oct 21, 2016

SquareTrade just sent me an email with a link "How to File a Claim." Like everything else about them so far, their link does not work.
1414 comments| 240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2016
Misleading. I bought it for my Kindle, with assumption that "Accidental Damage from Handling" (ADH) was part of the deal. I never would have purchased had I known that I was only buying an extra year of coverage for manufacturing defects. I would have taken the risk that, if there was a defect with my Kindle, said defect would present itself within a year.

The product page on Amazon does NOT expressly state that ADH is not covered -- this is only stated in a PDF of terms and conditions only available in the linked PDF. This is a 4,077-word contract crammed into 2 pages. The exclusion of ADH is mentioned in the middle of the first column of the second page (see photo attached).

Of course, the Amazon product page doesn't expressly say that accidental damage IS covered. If you, as I did, miss the link to the Standard Terms and Conditions, you might, as I did, go to the SquarePage website to check it out. You might, as I did, click on the top of the page describing its coverage of "Tablets/E-Readers." Note that the first feature it lists is that the policy covers drops and spills. You might, as I did, read that and conclude, as I did, that you'd be covered you if you accidentally drop or spill something on your stupid Kindle.

Now I've busted the thing, and I realize I've been played for a fool. Well played, SquareTrade. Well played.
review image review image review image
1212 comments| 401 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2016
Thought I did a good thing by getting a 10 dollar warranty with a router I had purchased on Amazon, as it was suggested to me on the bottom. When the router finally died after less than a year, like most linksys routers do, I went to file my claim and was told that because it was manufacturer refurbished, I was out of luck. Kinda bizarre that it would be suggested with the purchase, but the purchase was ineligible.

I'll never get another extended warranty, a lot of weird stipulations and loopholes for them to get out of the claim. I thought I could trust a big name such as square trade, however they're just as deceitful as most.
11 comment| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2017
I've never given one star but I just have to with this. I was supposed to get it December 28, it's January 18 and I still haven't gotten it. Don't bother with this item, it's only a dollar or two but it's not worth it. Customer service is horrible, and it doesn't cover nearly what it advertises to (I just read all of the terms). If you buy this and your item breaks they'll find a reason to not cover you (this is based on all the other reviews, and the very specific terms). Save yourself the stress and buy a protection plan that's a little more expensive. I'm not even going to bother fighting for my dollar, you guys can keep it.
on July 26, 2016
So far, 1 star. The registration email is amazingly confusing; it tells you to email them a receipt - of what - the plan or the item covered? Can't tell. It gives you a LOGIN button; all that does is give you an error message that the plan is registered to someone else. Huh? So, no idea if I've actually registered, no idea how to get help if there is a problem. Part of my response should be aimed at Amazon for not working with squaretrade for not offering a direct, easy registration of the plan for the product purchased for the person it was purchased for.
on August 5, 2016
When i purchased this i thought it was for an additional 2 years beyond manufacturers warranty. It only added 5 days extra warranty and low and behold the item is having issues 1 month out from the end of the manufacturers warranty end date and i have no protection plan because it started the day i received the item, not at the end of the normal warranty period.
on May 19, 2017
I purchased this for my Dell Laptop and this was my bad because I didn't realize that I had to choose the amount that I wanted covered for my device. I figured that when I added it to the cart it just automatically was covered for my laptop. So i just had an issue with it and called them to get things sorted out and was given the run-around only to be told in the end that nothing was covered due to the wrong price of the warranty. They refunded what I paid for the warranty which was cool, but totally frustrating to find out that the warranty I bought wasn't any good. That whole process should be more clear.
on February 25, 2017
At first I thought that the Insurance might come within the box of the headset, but It wasnt. Then I checked to see If I had gotten It as a digital download, but I didnt. I have never received the protection plan.
on March 7, 2017
Not worth it. It is a huge process to register the protection and it doesn't cover much for long. In addition to all that I found out the item I bought had a much longer warrantee plan that came with it automatically so it was pointless. I paid the money and then never registered it because the process was so tedious.
on February 13, 2016
I have had Square Protection coverage on other products in the past, but never had to file a claim. I like their transparency, the ease of registering and being able to keep track of coverage on their website. I just recently purchased a computer part on Amazon and purchased the Square Trade coverage for it. I thought the coverage started after the manufacturer's warranty expired, but noticed on the email confirmation I received from Square Trade that it started the day I purchased it (which defeated the purpose for me, while the manufacturer's warranty was still in effect). I spoke to a Square Trade representative on the phone to confirm when the coverage started. When I explained that it didn't make sense for me to have concurrent coverage (Square Trade and manufacturer), I didn't think I to ask for a refund, but the representative offered to cancel the policy for me. I appreciate their fantastic customer service and wouldn't hesitate to purchase coverage from them again in the future.