Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

SquareTrade 2-Year TV Protection Plan ($500-$600)
Service plan term: 2 Years|Service plan covered value: $ 500-$600|Change
Price:$17.73+ Free shipping

on August 23, 2016
FYI, I had purchased this warranty for a TV I purchased. Approximately 3 months ago it stopped working. Contacted SquareTrade and they diagnosed over the phone the problem and set up a service appointment, then shipped parts to my house. They sent one technician to handle this heavy 55" plasma TV. They should have sent two. The tech fully inspected the TV before starting the repair to check for "incidental damage", which is not covered. The TV had just stopped working, but they checked anyway. He confirmed there was none. The tech replaced three out of the four parts because they did not send all four at the time, in error. TV was still non-functioning. He called in and said he would come back when fourth part shows up. After no update, and several emails from me to SquareTrade regarding status, I am told the part was unavailable and they would replace the TV. They would contact me with options. That same day, the "unavailable" part shows up at my house. I call them and I am told they will come to fix the TV. Again, 1 tech shows up to repair the TV. This tech re-inspects the TV and claims the screen is now internally cracked, and that they do not cover it. I was shocked since the first tech had inspected it prior and there was no crack at that time. Now mind you, the first tech was moving the TV alone on the first visit, laid it on the floor and had his legs resting on the TV while installing parts. SquareTrade has now refused the claim. After arguing with SquareTrade that "their" subcontractor must have damaged the TV, they turned it over to "their" subcontractors insurance and washed their hands of the problem. Three months of a runaround, two lost days from work, and still no resolution. SquareTrade sent these people. They should be responsible for who they send to your home. Meanwhile, I am stuck chasing "their" subcontractor. This warranty purchase was useless. I would NOT recommend purchasing. Will update if I ever get resolution.
1313 comments| 333 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2014
Square Trade has been a major player in the residential warranty arena for many years now. For some time, they have enjoyed a reputation for reasonable and attractive price points for covering your electronics, phones and other equipment as well as for their customer service. I have purchased 6 warranties from ST but there has been a clear and substantial deterioration in the quality and consistency of their repair and customer support "experience" which has now altered my assessment of the value of a Square Trade purchase for the following reasons.

PROS:

1. Market-competitive price points compared with Best Buy's Geek Squad and other competitors for large electronics, HDTV's, android and i Phones and other equipment which draw you in initially on the purchase.
2. Customer Support still in the U.S.
3. Most customer support associates are friendly and generate the perception of a friendly customer culture but often lack the training, resources or empowerment to address customer concerns.

CONS:

1. Access ALL of the terms and conditions BEFORE you purchase your warranty. If not, you are likely to be very disappointed if and when your item requires repair. Unfortunately, Square Trade is not transparent in making this information conspicuous before the purchase. ST strategically places their "Terms and Conditions" in text at the very end of the page requiring an electron microscope to read. Most of us never think of reviewing this prior to purchase but you should ALWAYS do so. Remember that the devil is always in the details and this is especially relevant with Square Trade. Their liability under the terms of the warranty is limited to the actual purchase price of your item. READ IT CAREFULLY.

2. Like all warranty companies, they remain excessively bureaucratic. Expect to spend indefinite periods of time and space waiting on the line as they "review" your inquiry or case while you age. ST thinks nothing of asking their customers to hold for 30 minutes as they educate themselves at your expense. Instead of guaranteeing a time-sensitive call-back for those issues demanding such attention, Square Trade associates challenge your patience while they search for information which should be at their fingertips.

3. On many occasions, Square Trade provides inaccurate and/or clearly incomplete information regarding your inquiry. Supervisors are often unavailable or not empowered to resolve customer issues quickly and accurately as used to be the case several years ago. Having had (and have) multiple policies and a repair claim to my credit, my experience suggests that their "Customer Service" is extremely porous with little respect for customer's time.

4. Claim Processing can be inconsistent and cumbersome and is far from a seamless, coordinated process. My repair claim resulted in having to make over six calls to ST. Not only did ST initially deny a valid laptop claim due to a poorly trained associate, but also failed to send out a shipping box as they had agreed.

5. Square Trade's promotional incentives can be misleading and their lack of transparency in honoring them often marginal at best. Keep in mind that to receive ST-sponsored promotions, you must purchase your warranty directly through Square Trade's website and not through Amazon. This can be a clear disadvantage because the best prices on Square Trade warranty products is consistently through Amazon. For example, ST does not offer a 5 year HDTV warranty on their own website; to get this, you must purchase it from Amazon.

6. Communicating with ST through their poor, tinny "outer-space" VOIP line contributes to frustration and not an efficient and pleasant customer experience. The "experience" equation becomes even more prominent if you are unlucky enough to get the representative whose native language is clearly not English or who does not articulate clearly.

7. In addition to their verbatim phone script, ST addresses each client by their first name which I suspect is intended as a friendly gesture. Many of us may find this practice somewhat juvenile and patronizing, particularly those who of us who graduated from kindergarten-I find that "sir" or using a last name seems to work just fine.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1. Consider if you really need these types of "warranties". Consumer Reports has consistently recommended to avoid these types of warranties because the return on investment is often not worth the price of the warranty product.

2. If you do decide to purchase a Square Trade warranty, purchase it directly from Amazon. Here's why: Amazon's partnership with ST is a revenue-enhancing conduit for delivering Square Trade's products. As such, any grievances become arbitrated and rectified quickly and efficiently by Amazon on behalf of its customers. My 9 calls to ST to try and resolve a recent issue remained unresolved until Amazon intervened to issue the accurate credit.

3. Amazon's price points for ST warranties is volatile and changes frequently, often by as much as $10-$15. I suggest placing your chosen plan in your cart and waiting a few days before purchasing since the price fluctuates rapidly. In most cases, you have 30 days from the date of purchase of your equipment to purchase the warranty so you have time to determine the price ceiling and floor for your particular warranty.

3. Request a complete copy of the terms and conditions governing your specific warranty and READ IT CAREFULLY BEFORE PURCHASING.
44 comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2014
Contract does nor start until the manufacture's warranty runs out. So you are not buying a 5 year warranty, but extending the warranty to five years. The contract states when repairing, they can use any part that meets the manufacturer's specifications. That means, refurbished or after market parts and not parts manufactured by the product's manufacturer. In addition and although not specifically worded in the contract this way, any costs of repairs will be deducted from your initial purchase price, which means if a second repair is needed and they cannot fix they will reimburse you by check or gift certificate the amount of your purchase price less their outlay cost of any previous repairs. Further, if additional repairs are needed, once the total costs added together equals your purchase price, their obligation is over. Coverage does not include burn in, which is when the screen develops an image and does not cover any burns in the pixels, which if this happens will leave a brow or dark spot on the screen. If they cannot fix it on the first call, they have the option to replace the product with any product by any other manufacturer that has the same features and not the product from the manufacturer you selected to buy from initially. Finally, if they replace the product, you are responsible for mailing the defective product back to where they tell you to at your cost.
11 comment| 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2016
love the process, the only thing i wish is that it could've happened quicker, after the initial claim, everything else is done via email and sometimes it took a few days to receive a response, so from beginning to end it has taken about a month. i submitted my claim via email and website with photos and info about the screen issues i was having. they then reviewed it for either repair or replacement, mine needed to be replaced. they then sent me options of tv's to select from, none of which matched my specs fully so they had to take a few more days to find new tv's that matched my current specs and they sent me two options. I selected one and received replacement yesterday. all in all it worked out great!
on November 3, 2015
My TV that was only 2 1/2 years old developed a strange screen problem. Luckily I had purchased the square trade warranty along with it! I called Squaretrade, described to the very friendly agent what the tv was doing, and sent them a few pictures. Initially they told me that they would replace the TV with an equivalent or better version and that I didn't need to send the one with the problem to them. Three days later I received a email stating that they couldn't locate a replacement and was just going to refund my money for the purchase price of the television. From start of the claim until i received my check was only 9 days. The prices for LED televisons have gone down since my initial purchase and I now have a 50" television (with another square trade warranty) in place of the 42" television that went bad.Thank you so much Squaretrade!
on October 7, 2015
I purchased this plan a little over 2 years ago.

I contacted SquareTrade a little over a month ago to discuss an issue with the TV powercycling. The TV specialist was very friendly and helpful. After following the specialist's instructions in a failed attempt to reset the TV, he ordered new components and informed me a technician would be sent to my house to replace the suspected parts. The technician never scheduled a date so I called him via a phone number provided to me through a follow up email from the TV specialist. We scheduled a date and time. The technician was very friendly and was able to replace the parts in a fair amount of time. After the job was completed, he let me know that SquareTrade would pick up the bill and there was nothing for me to sign.
Note: The technician did not work for SquareTrade. I believe they just look for a technician in your area and have them sent to your house so experiences will vary.

The TV worked fine for a couple of weeks until it started displaying the same issues. I contacted SquareTrade again and since a new issue came up within 30 days of the repair, the TV specialist informed me that they would have to sent my claim up to a senior engineer or someone of that nature. They would then contact the technician and discuss what the best option would be. I was told I would be contacted later that day but after a few days of waiting, I called them back again to see what was the progress of my claim. They told me that they still were investigating the claim and would make a note to try and hurry up the process. Within a couple of days I was contacted by a specialist to inform me that they would no longer try to fix it and would refund me.

As many of you would imagine, I was somewhat nervous as to whether they would refund me the full amount or just the amount after the cost of repair which I was informed cost over 300$. At first, the specialist told me that they would be sending a replacement TV. They would be sending an email to me with a selection of several brand new TVs that were similar to mine or better. I declined this option and they said they could either give me an Amazon gift card, a payment through PayPal, or a check. After sharing my concern as to whether I would receive the full amount or not, the specialist told me I would receive a refund for the total cost of the TV and they would not deduct the cost of repair as that would be unfair. I gladly accepted the offer for a check. I was sent an email as to when the check would arrive and within that timespan, the check with the full amount of the TV arrived. Oddly, I ended up receiving two checks. As great as SquareTrade had been to me, I had little hesitation to call them to inform them about the mistake and they cancelled one of the checks.

When I purchased the warranty, I believe their policy was to deduct the cost of repairs from the cost of the TV. However, I was told by one of the specialist helping me that they no longer follow that policy and would refund the total amount. So, I suggest if you have concerns about this to call them or ask them to send you an example contract so you know for sure what there policy is.

The only issue or annoyance that I did have was the occasional 2 hour wait to talk a specialist. But after speaking with them and seeing how much effort they put in to help each individual, I am more than happy to accept that trade off. In all, the staff was friendly and seemed to really want to help. Aside from making a few phone calls, the process was fairly hassle-free. I received the full amount for the TV and not a deducted amount as many reviewers in the past have posted.

I would definitely recommend this plan to anyone who is concerned about the longevity of their TV. Hopefully you'll never have to use the warranty but if you do, SquareTrade is definitely the one you'll want to have.
on October 29, 2016
TV started acting up less than a month before protection plan expired. The repair process was flawless. First step was to troubleshoot over the phone. Less than a five minute hold time. Service representative was very knowledgeable and professional. It was determined that a physical repair was needed. Parts were delivered directly to my house within two days. Service technician called before appointment window and was able to arrive before scheduled time. He was very prompt and professional. Entire process from call to fix could have been less than a week but I wasn't available for home appointment until the following week. TV is now working wonderfully. Will definitely purchase the Square Trade protection plan again if offered..
on June 16, 2017
My favorite tv died after only 2 1/2 years. Thankfully, I had purchased a 5-Year protection plan from SquareTrade. The online claim process was straightforward and the customer service reps were very helpful. After only a few days the claim was reviewed and I received the full purchase price for the tv. I had the option of receiving either Amazon credit or a check. I chose the Amazon credit which also gave me an additional 5%. Will definitely purchase a SquareTrade protection plan for my new tv.
on March 19, 2016
I love Square Trade warranties! Used to think it was a waste of money to buy these extended warranties but Square Trade has proved me wrong! I purchased on for a new Acer tablet computer and had problems with the keyboard within the first 6 months. I sent it to Square Trade (they pay for the shipping) and received it with a brand new keyboard installed within 1 week (they shipped it back OVERNIGHT as they knew I was leaving on a trip and wanted to be sure I got it before I left)!! I purchased a 3 year warranty on a 40" TCL TV which went dead within 2 1/2 years. I filled out the claim on the website and was told they didn't want the TV back and just needed a copy of the invoice (which I sent). THey sent an affadavit for me to sign stating that the TV was, in fact, dead and upon receipt of the signed document, they said they will COMPLETELY REFUND the price we paid 2 1/2 years ago!! WOW!!! Don't buy anything without a SQUARE TRADE warranty! I'm a convert!
on April 7, 2017
I bought my mother in law a tv, and it shipped broken, so they sent another through the mail, that broken also, so bought one at walmart and i flew up north and picked it up myself. Square trade was agreeable and was able to keep the same contract. Well a couple years later that tv broke and square trade honored the contract for my mother in law, and took care of it. Not sure if the new tv was shipped or my sister in law picked it up. But mother in law was very happy. On major purchases i always buy warranty, and in this case so happy i do. PS. Those Vizio tv's are great, i have a few in my house, just a weird thing that happened.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.