Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Top Contributor: Petson December 28, 2016
I purchased this prior to dealing with another Square Trade policy I have. The Square Trade fine print has just come to my attention and is as follows:
"THE VALUE OF YOUR COVERAGE:
The value of your Protection Plan is in most cases equal to the purchase price of your item. Each time you file a valid claim, and we provide repair, the total value of your coverage is reduced by the cost of the repairs.
Then if you file another valid claim with us on the same item, and repairs are estimated to cost more than the remaining value of your Protection Plan, the remaining value of your Protection Plan will be offered instead.”

I question how this is going to work with my camera flash. A simple repair to re-solder a loose USB connection on my perviously covered tablet with SquareTrade was billed as a $150 repair charge against the total covered value of the tablet. If it costs $150 to solder a connection, I can't imagine that they will be able to do much of anything by way of repair to a $75 camera flash before they exceed the covered value of the item. In other words, when you purchase this protection plan, you are essentially purchasing a one time refund of the purchase price of the flash, not a 3 year protection plan. For the $12, it isn't a bad deal. But the marketing is deceptive.
22 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 11, 2018
I had never bought one of these accident warranties for a camera before, since I'm usually fairly careful with them, but for some reason decided to get it when I bought a refurbished Lumix. As luck would have it, I did manage to total the camera in an odd accident about four months later. Was pretty bummed at first, since I didn't remember for sure if I had gotten the coverage or not, but then found the confirming email & began the claims process.

It's a fairly easy and straightforward process if you've kept proof of your purchase...mostly done online, so digital or photocopies are fine, no need to keep paper records. It took a bit longer than I thought it should have. They had me send the camera in for inspection, even though I thought the pictures and description of the damage I sent showed it to be beyond reasonable repair (they supplied a mailing label, so it was easy enough to do, at least). When it got to them, they sent a confirmation of receipt, and, a day or so later, a notice surprisingly saying they thought it might be repairable, and would advise further. A few days later they finally sent the expected news that the camera was toast and they would be paying the claim. Nor long after, I received the check.

So, in all it took a bit more time than it could have, but not an unreasonable amount, the process was easy, and there was no haggling or "gotcha" efforts to avoid paying the claim. The coverage was well worth having, and I was satisfied with the way it worked. When I bought a replacement camera, I got the appropriate Square Trade policy to cover it.
on June 20, 2017
I have not had a great experience with my GoPro 4 Hero Protention Plan. I was a fan until now. I have purchased 3 Square Trade protection plans so far. The Good: they make the purchase process seamless, the make the claim process seamless, they have an app that allows you to somewhat manage your plans and give you your claim updates. The BAD: But who cares about the good when they fail on their claim to fix my GoPro. I sent them my item and they quickly repaired it and sent it back to me ASAP. Once I receive my GoPro it's missing the battery. Next thing I notice the lens assembly falls apart (whom do they outsource the repair to???). Lastly, the lens that was scratched seemed to still have a big spot in the center of the lens so obviously, I will still have issues. I'm currently in the process of sending it back let's see what happens.
on January 7, 2018
I purchased this protection plan with my Panasonic Lumix FZ70. The first time I sent it in for repairs, I got the camera back and pretty much nothing got fixed - kind of disappointing. However, I think this was partially due to lack of detail on my part.

The second time I sent it in was an entirely different experience. I made sure to contact a technician to go over the fine details of the camera damage, and what actions were needed to make the experienced errors occur. The SquareTrade customer service professionals were extremely friendly and took time to listen to the details of the damages. They even contacted me back to verify before repairs. It turned out that the camera could not be repaired, so they sent me a complete refund for my purchase.

Overall, this inexpensive plan saved me $250 and it was relatively low-hassle. I won't be purchasing another camera without it!
Despite the first mishap, I'm still giving 5 stars for their professionalism and providing a full refund. I'm very happy with this plan.
on March 12, 2018
As with most they try to not pay out on the plan. You get a response on your claim not covered because what ever reason they decide to use to not pay. It does NOT start till after the manufacturer and no it's not what ever years after the manufacture runs out. Meaning if it's under manufacturer for one three or five years and your plan is for one year it never comes in to effect. if your item is less then $200 it's really not worth it at all. put the cost of the plans you would have paid for in the bank and by the time you need to use one you can just buy a new item. how often do you ever use them and even if you remember you even have on. Don't waste money on these. Save your money and be happy your not paying for something your not going to use ninety times out of one hundred. On the one time the money you save will buy your item twice over.
on June 7, 2017
Used this on a Lightdow LD6000 that I had for about one year. I let a friend borrow the camera, and when I got it back and tried to charge it, the metal around the USB port fell into the camera, rendering it impossible to charge.

This was actually the second Lightdow LD6000, as I had previously damaged the lens on my first one, and got a refund using the Assurant plan that I had purchased.

Anyway, I filed the claim, and didn't bother sending this camera back until over a month later. The tracking info never worked on the FedEx website, but the box still reached its destination the next day and I got my refund, which I am using to buy my third Lightdow LD6000 (and another protection plan, of course)!

Hopefully I'll stop being so clumsy with these things!
on October 31, 2017
I have tried on multiple occasions to get the actual policy so I can register my purchase and get it activated. I contacted Square Trade both through Amazon and directly. Nothing.
on February 25, 2016
My wife bought a 2-year plan when she bought me a FujiFilm F770EXR camera. One day recently, while hiking I fell down and damaged the camera. I contacted SquareTrade and the immediately sent me a shipping label. I sent the camera in and it came back to me in perfect working condition - even looked like they had cleaned it up so it looked almost brand new. It did not cost me a penny. The camera cost $175 and the 2-year protection plan cost $20. What more can I say?
on May 13, 2015
I use squaretrade for all my electronics warranties (I think I have around 10 warranties currently). The customer service is great and the response time is good. I've had to use the warranty 5 separate times with three different phone contracts and everytime was great. There is also a points program which allows you to purchase warranties with the point accrues from purchases. I just redeemed points for a game console warranty. I will continue to purchase squaretrade warranties in the future.
VINE VOICEon December 19, 2016
A lot of times I think these warranties are a good deal, but this time they did not work out.

I bought two FujiFilm instant cameras and two accident plans to go with them. SquareTrade wanted me to send them a receipt; the only thing I had was the .pdf invoice downloadable from Amazon that listed my name and address and the items I bought and the price I paid and the method of payment and date of purchase. I sent that to SquareTrade but then I got an email saying an "invoice" is not good enough... it must be a "receipt." Well it is not like I'm claiming the items were lost in shipping or anything... what is the difference? Also on the SquareTrade site they wanted serial numbers and there are no serial numbers on the two cameras I bought plans for. That surprised me, but it is not under my control. I gave up on the hassle and cancelled the plans for refund.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.