Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

SquareTrade 3-Year Tablet Accident Protection Plan ($500-$600)
Service plan term: 3 Years|Service plan covered value: $ 500-$600|Change
Price:$85.94+ Free shipping

on July 9, 2015
I purchased a 3 year SquareTrade warranty with accident protection on Amazon with my Asus Transformer tablet. I had read pretty good reviews on them at the time (about 3 years ago). I've since purchase a SquareTrade warranty on several other items. I never had to use the protection, until recently, when my tablet started acting very flaky (mainly wifi issues, but a few other issues as well including flaky GPS). Let's face it, a tablet without wifi is basically a brick, with a screen. Now I'm starting to wonder if the bulk of the review here are because this protection "seems like" a good deal, or if SquareTrade's service has gone downhill, while their shady tactics have gone up. Here's my HORRIBLE experience with them...

After I started experienced issues with wifi intermittently not working (even the blue icon would show, but wouldn't get any internet connectivity for quite a while at times), I soon realized the issues weren't going away. I made absolutely sure that it had nothing to do with my wifi in the house. I have several other devices on wifi including a laptop, 2 TV's, a repeater, etc., and all of them worked fine...including the TV that was about 6 feet away from where the tablet was primarily used. On 6/16/15, I went to the SquareTrade web site, and even though I had uploaded my receipt after I purchased the warranty (since they encourage customers to do that so they don't have to worry about keeping it for later if needed), the web site said it was on file...but on another screen said I needed to upload it . Luckily, I still had it. I probably shouldn't taken this as a bad sign of the days ahead...but I still had faith.

I filed my claim, and 2 days later I received an e-mail:

"I am sorry to hear about the issue with your item, I know it is frustrating when our electronic devices do not work correctly.

It sounds like there may be a glitch in the firmware and to resolve the problem you are facing kindly follow the troubleshooting provided below:"

...then a YouTube video was linked.

I quickly found out that this was NOT "troubleshooting" for a "glitch"...the video walked you through doing a factory reset on the device, and of course losing everything on it at that point. The factory reset didn't help the problem at all, and now I couldn't even register my Gmail account since I had no working wifi connection. So I replied telling the rep what happened, and that I was a bit annoyed since his "troubleshooting" for the specific issue/fix he spoke of was nothing of the kind.

On 6/19/15, I received an e-mail asking me to ship my tablet and power supply using the shipping label provided. I shipped it in, hoping their fast repair time as advertised held true. Several days later, I received my tablet back...in the EXACT same state as I shipped it in...with the same wifi issues, and a work order in the box that said "reseated covers". What the heck is that supposed to even mean? What "covers"? At this point, I was even more annoyed with this process, so I called and asked to speak to a manager. I spoke to the manager, and told her how urgent my need for this device was at the time and that I had waited several days now only to have nothing done (she claimed they didn't find the issue, so they just shipped it back). She said she could send me to a local repair shop to get it repaired, and get reimbursed for the repair costs by sending my receipts in in reply to the e-mail she was sending me. She also said that if they deemed it unrepairable, that SquareTrade would refund the ~$385 I originally paid for the device.

I waited for the e-mail, and all I got was an e-mail that said, "Your claim is approved! Next, we'll be sending you:
• The part(s) needed to get your TV up and running". TV? This is a tablet, and I've never purchased a SquareTrade warranty for a TV. The e-mail also had a claim number on it that matched nothing of mine. The rep asked me to forward her the e-mail, which I did, then put me on hold for a while. When she came back, she told me that their system was messed up ("clearly", I thought!). She sent me another e-mail with a reference number and the addresses and phone numbers of 3 local repair places (but no names of the places, as I later noticed). She said to reply to this e-mail with repair receipts, or something deeming the item unrepairable for a full refund if that was the case.

I called the first place on the list a few times over the next few days, left voicemails, but got no return calls. Over the weekend, the tablet went off (on it's own), and would no longer turn on. On Monday, I decided to just drive to the first address on the list. After driving around aimlessly for a while, I realized the place didn't even exist. It didn't help that I had no name of the place to look for on a sign, but I figured out based on the address that it didn't exist. So I called the second place on the list, and went there. When I got there, they looked at the tablet, couldn't get it to turn on, but also looked up replacement parts...and found out that the wifi, among most other parts on this tablet, was not replacement on this model. When I told them of my endless drive, they told me that place I showed them had gone out of business quite a while back...so that's why I couldn't find it. The tech at the repair place said even if the device does turn on, wifi is unreplaceable on this model, so the device is unfixable. She wrote this up on my work order, I went home, and I scanned/e-mailed the work order in reply to the e-mail from SquareTrade, as they requested.

Three days went by, and I heard nothing back from SquareTrade. All I could think was, "Is this ever going to get resolved?" So I called them again tonight, and this thing took a whole new horrible twist. Now, they're telling me that I only had a 2 year warranty, and that it expired last year. Yep, about 1 year ago. Yet for some reason, the web site allowed me to file the claim? And for some reason, everyone I've talked to so far just...didn't notice that? Yeah right lol. While I was on hold waiting for them to come back to me, I went to the web site, thinking I might see a status change...and I sure did. They had altered the dates to make it look like I had a 2 year warranty instead of a 3 year warranty (luckily I have proof/screenshots of all of this, along with my original receipts showing that I paid for a 3 year warranty, and the date that I purchased it, along with my original contract).

After that, more time being put on hold, more switching things around on their end, it seemed endless, and like they were determined to do anything possible to get out of paying this claim and making things right. I will try to update this if/when something positive happens here, but at this point, it looks very unlikely. Needless to say, I will never purchase a SquareTrade warranty again at this point, and I will be getting refunds for the few that I purchased recently (hopefully that won't be the hassle that this was), and my prior referrals will change to negative referrals.

I'm attaching screenshots of the original e-mail confirmation of this warranty showing the date purchased/sent, the last 4 of the policy #, and that it's a tablet warranty, as well as a screenshot of the warranty as it shows today, AFTER they made changes to the dates...showing the date purchased, the last 4 of the plan ID that I left visible which matches the e-mail, the coverage start date (which makes the date purchased not even make any sense).
review imagereview image
99 comments| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 1, 2013
Well, my ASUS TF300 took a bad fall and was badly damaged recently. I sent it in for repair per the warranty instructions and was told it was "Approved" and would be repaired within 5 business days. Today is the 6th day, so I sent an email last night and still did not hear back. I ended up calling SquareTrade today because I logged into my account and saw they changed my product from ASUS Tablet to Samsung TV. Not quite sure how that happened. Upon calling I was informed that it could take an additional 15 days as they are waiting on parts. NOT the 5 days I was quoted when signing up for this service. So now I have to wait possibly two more weeks to get my tablet back. Their terms state that they repair or reimburse within 5 days. If they could not repair it then it should have been reimbursed.

At this rate I would have been better off not even purchasing this and spending almost a quarter of the cost of the product for a service that is not honored. You would think when reaching day 5 day guarantee mark they would have communicated something to me, but nope, they did not. Apparently SquareTrade does not communicate with their customers

This is not what I signed up for and I will not purchase from SquareTrade again, nor will I recommend their service to anyone.

Update:
So I finally received a tablet back a week and a half ago. Keep in mind I had already waited well over two weeks from the point that SquareTrade initially received my tablet for repair. I was told the reason the tablet took so long to get back to me was they were waiting on parts to repair it properly. So you can imagine my surprise when I opened the box from UPS and anxiously removed the bubble wrap to find the Tablet filthy, and even worse, scratched on both the front screen and back cover. The rear panel looked to have cake icing all over the back of it and there were minor scratches everywhere.

I then proceeded to check the serial number on my tablet and compared it to the Serial Number on my ASUS box and low and behold they were completely different. I immediately called SquareTrade and raised my concern. How did I receive a used tablet when I was specifically told they were awaiting parts to repair my tablet? They flat out lied to me and told me a manager would be in touch with two business days.

Jump forward two business days.... No call from a manager as promised. I called SquareTrade again and was told that a manager had approved to pay me out the cost of my tablet I simply needed to send it back. I sent the table back to the right away and obtained a tracking number. Upon SquareTrade again receiving my tablet, I did receive an email that they would pay me the full cost of the tablet within 2-3 business days. By the end of the third day, I had not received a credit to my email as promised. I called SquareTrade again and was told I was misinformed and it would take 3-5 days to receive my credit.

I give up! This company SUCKS!!! Do not buy this service! Read he reviews, most reviews giving 5 stars have never even had to use the service, but praise the peace of mind they have. This is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with and that is really saying something.

I will update my review if I ever receive my credit, but that will not change my overall impression of this awful service.

****UPDATE*****
Sorry for the late update.

I did finally receive a credit from Square Trade in the form of an Amazon gift card for the full cost of the tablet. It took almost 6 weeks and a lot of hassle to receive it, certainly not the guaranteed 5 days promised. I bumped this review up one star because of this, but still highly urge you to stay away. Horrible service overall and highly frustrating experience.
3131 comments| 465 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 13, 2012
Purchased this squaretrade warranty about a week after receiving my Asus TF300 (I think that's the model number). I thought it was pretty cool that you had 30 days from the date of purchasing a tablet to buy this warranty. Initially I didn't think to order a one along with my Asus. Didn't have the tablet a good 60 days before I dropped it on the floor like an idiot, and completely shattered the screen. Called squaretrade, filed a claim, and they sent me a postage paid box in the mail to have it shipped to one of their repair centers. I also had the option to take the tablet to a repair shop of my choice, get it fixed, and they would reimburse (<--spell check?) me the funds. Once my tablet arrived at the repair center, it turned out that it was going to cost more money to have the tablet repaired than the tablet was worth, so squaretrade mailed me a check for the full price of the tablet so I could repurchase another one. You have the choice of receiving a check in the mail, funds added to your paypal account or an Amazon gift card. The whole process was frustration free and squaretrade was very professional with regards to handling my claim. Highly recommend this company. The warranty was definetly worth purchasing, and I wouldn't hesistate to use them again.
77 comments| 360 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 7, 2016
I had a nexus tablet which was accidentally dropped and formed a small crack in the screen. Nothing else was wrong with it. I called the number for Squaretrade because everytime I tried to use the website they provided and sign up, it told me my email was invalid. (First annoyance.) They sent me a free shipping label to send my tablet in for repairs which they stated would take "2 - 5 days".

After two weeks of not hearing from them I called again. Apparently they had sent me an email which went straight into my spam folder after being flagged as dangerous because they had asked me for my email and login password so they could check the repairs they had made. They would not continue or give me my tablet back until I have given them said information.

They then (after another week and me having to pester them twice through email) sent me an email saying they could not get the parts to fix the tablet, yeah, the one they had previously said they had already fixed but needed to check the system to see if everything was running.

I called with a WTF and the very nice representitive assured me that they had ordered parts which would be arriving soon and they would rush repairs since it had been so long. Two days later I had another email saying they would be sending me a check in 7-10 business days and would not be returning my tablet to me.

I did get my check, btw, after I left a horrible review on their review website exclaiming that they had stollen my tablet. And yes, I would have pressed charges.
on October 20, 2014
So I had a few problems with my nexus tablet. The battery started overheating, the charging port started having problems like not charging when the cable slightly moved (yes I tried new cables, chargers, and outlets) got to the point it would rarely charge at all and a cracked screen. Well called up square trade and they wanted to repair it so I sent it in.

Upon finally received my "repaired" tablet they claimed they fixed the screen, the back cover, and the battery. What I actually received is a different story. First off they never replaced the back cover or assuming they did the whole part around the screen is nicked and chipped, the battery is still overheating, the screen they replaced it with is a joke! There is a dark area in the top left corner, it doesn't respond to touch properly sometimes it selects something not in the area I'm touching. When scrolling text or pictures it has a wavy look to it. It's just off and no where near the quality of the original screen. Last and not least they just decided to not fix the charging port!??! Yeah they actually admitted this to me, it was not fixed!..I mean if everything else was repaired what use is the tablet if you can't properly charge it??...

Upon requesting a call back from a manager and being told I'd receive one within 24 hours, I had to call them again. Then their customer service representative flat out lied to me telling me the manager called and no one answered so it went to voicemail. This is a joke since I was home all day, double checked the caller ID and guess what no call.

Then I get an email supposedly from a manager saying since they did "repairs" they can't refund my purchase. Are you kidding me! What repairs? Battery still over heats, a chipped, nicked up cover, a cheap crappy screen, and a port they never bothered to repair! Unacceptable. Waiting for a response but unless they do a full refund since their so called repairs aren't worth 5¢ I'll be reporting them to the BBB, FTC, and my attorneys. This is nothing but fraud. The only thing they did was put a cheap screen on it since all my other problems still exist. Not worth a payout at the fraction of what I paid for my tablet.

I'll update when I find more out, but nothing will change the fact they flat out lied about the supposed repairs that were done, used cheap knockoff parts, and lied about a call back...Their repair tech should be fired as should their dishonest customer service rep...
on February 5, 2017
This is a worthless warranty. First of all, we purchased a Fusion Tablet for a Christmas present for my wife and bought this warranty in November of 2016. To date, February 8th 2017, we still as of yet to receive the warranty. What's more, the tablet would not come on after 5 days of use, so the purchase was moot as the warranty had as of yet to be issued.
Third, we requested a refund on the purchase price, and a month later, still have not even heard from Square Trade.
We DO NOT recommend this product to others and if you fail to heed this warning, you will do so at your own financial loss.
on June 15, 2016
They shipped an inferior tablet as a replacement ($100 less) with half the RAM and half the Storage. When I called they told me that they value the device at what it is worth broken. Not reputable.

Over two months later, more than a dozen phone calls and plenty of unkept promises I received a check for 25% less than promised. They win, I give up.
77 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 25, 2015
DO NOT USE!! The associate on the phone said that they could not fix my issue and I had to contact the manufacturer for repairs within the first year and that the Square Trade warranty didn't start until the manufacturer warranty ended. THIS WAS A LIE! I just contacted Square Trade again today and they said that they run parralel to the manufacturer warranty. THE OPPOSITE OF THE LAST PERSON!!

So now I have wasted time and money.

Never again.

Contacting BBB
on May 25, 2017
This was offered as an option when I purchased a Certified Refurbished Tablet here on Amazon. Thank goodness I chatted with an agent on Square Trade's website (when I tried to register my tablet) because although the plan was offered with a Certified Refurbished tablet here on Amazon (as a click-able box when I ordered the tablet) and although Square Trades website currently says different, and although they took my money with the sale, they will NOT cover Certified Refurbished Tablets according to the agent I chatted with!

What gets me the most mad is that they don't require you to register your item! If I hadn't decided to go to their website and try to register it and end up chatting with an agent, then they would have just been happy to keep my money. This info makes the one star reviews a little more relevant in my mind.

Oh and my first review was rejected by Amazon but I'm not sure why. It had Too Much Info for sure: lengthy details and 6 photos of screen shots of the supposedly outdated information that (oops) somehow is still on SquareTrade's website and screen shots of my chat with their agent telling me that they don't cover Certified Refurbished etc. So this is my toned down review. I am only spending this time because I rely so heavily on other's reviews that I must let you know (Dear Amazon friends) not to buy this for Certified Refurbished - even if it's offered. Should you buy it, then make sure you register your item and make sure it's covered.
on November 11, 2016
I had an issue with a couple keys on the keyboard that popped off the laptop and contacted Square Trade because this is covered under the warranty. Setting up the claim and shipping out the laptop to them was fine but once it hit the repair facility the expereince was horrible.

For some reason, they added an extra week or so to my downtime by replacing part of the laptop and re-imaging the laptop but not the keyboard as the original issue was.

I then received my laptop back from SquareTrade over 2 weeks later and found they left the keyboard alone and sent back a refurbished everything else but the keyboard and re-imaged the hard drive.

I called SquareTrade soon as I received it the person on the phone said he'll look into it and said he will send an email out in the next day or two letting me know what's going on then hung up the phone (The person on the phone was very rude and hard to work worth)

I called back 2 days later and SquareTrade and no recollection to the call I placed earlier but the person called the repair facility and asked them what happened. They apologized for the mistake, the repair facility thought the keyboard for an accessory and to ship them just the keyboard and they will replace it.

I shipped them the keyboard and soon as they received it they shipped the same broken keyboard back.

I called again back and the person apologized again and said that should not have happened and to contact the manufacturer in which I have in the first place but was told it was out of what they cover under the manufacturer warranty.

I contacted the manufacturer again this time they created a case and shipped the device to them but they said I would have a charge for it.

All in all I have been without a laptop for about a month now and have to re-setup everything just for a 2 keyboard keys popped off the keyboard.

Horrible service and will never use SquareTrade again.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.