Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

SquareTrade 4-Year TV Protection Plan ($900-$1000)
Service plan term: 4 Years|Service plan covered value: $ 900-$1000|Change
Price:$82.79+ Free shipping

on August 23, 2016
FYI, I had purchased this warranty for a TV I purchased. Approximately 3 months ago it stopped working. Contacted SquareTrade and they diagnosed over the phone the problem and set up a service appointment, then shipped parts to my house. They sent one technician to handle this heavy 55" plasma TV. They should have sent two. The tech fully inspected the TV before starting the repair to check for "incidental damage", which is not covered. The TV had just stopped working, but they checked anyway. He confirmed there was none. The tech replaced three out of the four parts because they did not send all four at the time, in error. TV was still non-functioning. He called in and said he would come back when fourth part shows up. After no update, and several emails from me to SquareTrade regarding status, I am told the part was unavailable and they would replace the TV. They would contact me with options. That same day, the "unavailable" part shows up at my house. I call them and I am told they will come to fix the TV. Again, 1 tech shows up to repair the TV. This tech re-inspects the TV and claims the screen is now internally cracked, and that they do not cover it. I was shocked since the first tech had inspected it prior and there was no crack at that time. Now mind you, the first tech was moving the TV alone on the first visit, laid it on the floor and had his legs resting on the TV while installing parts. SquareTrade has now refused the claim. After arguing with SquareTrade that "their" subcontractor must have damaged the TV, they turned it over to "their" subcontractors insurance and washed their hands of the problem. Three months of a runaround, two lost days from work, and still no resolution. SquareTrade sent these people. They should be responsible for who they send to your home. Meanwhile, I am stuck chasing "their" subcontractor. This warranty purchase was useless. I would NOT recommend purchasing. Will update if I ever get resolution.
1717 comments| 526 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 14, 2014
Square Trade has been a major player in the residential warranty arena for many years now. For some time, they have enjoyed a reputation for reasonable and attractive price points for covering your electronics, phones and other equipment as well as for their customer service. I have purchased 6 warranties from ST but there has been a clear and substantial deterioration in the quality and consistency of their repair and customer support "experience" which has now altered my assessment of the value of a Square Trade purchase for the following reasons.

1. Market-competitive price points compared with Best Buy's Geek Squad and other competitors for large electronics, HDTV's, android and i Phones and other equipment which draw you in initially on the purchase.
2. Customer Support still in the U.S.
3. Most customer support associates are friendly and generate the perception of a friendly customer culture but often lack the training, resources or empowerment to address customer concerns.

1. Access ALL of the terms and conditions BEFORE you purchase your warranty. If not, you are likely to be very disappointed if and when your item requires repair. Unfortunately, Square Trade is not transparent in making this information conspicuous before the purchase. ST strategically places their "Terms and Conditions" in text at the very end of the page requiring an electron microscope to read. Most of us never think of reviewing this prior to purchase but you should ALWAYS do so. Remember that the devil is always in the details and this is especially relevant with Square Trade. Their liability under the terms of the warranty is limited to the actual purchase price of your item. READ IT CAREFULLY.

2. Like all warranty companies, they remain excessively bureaucratic. Expect to spend indefinite periods of time and space waiting on the line as they "review" your inquiry or case while you age. ST thinks nothing of asking their customers to hold for 30 minutes as they educate themselves at your expense. Instead of guaranteeing a time-sensitive call-back for those issues demanding such attention, Square Trade associates challenge your patience while they search for information which should be at their fingertips.

3. On many occasions, Square Trade provides inaccurate and/or clearly incomplete information regarding your inquiry. Supervisors are often unavailable or not empowered to resolve customer issues quickly and accurately as used to be the case several years ago. Having had (and have) multiple policies and a repair claim to my credit, my experience suggests that their "Customer Service" is extremely porous with little respect for customer's time.

4. Claim Processing can be inconsistent and cumbersome and is far from a seamless, coordinated process. My repair claim resulted in having to make over six calls to ST. Not only did ST initially deny a valid laptop claim due to a poorly trained associate, but also failed to send out a shipping box as they had agreed.

5. Square Trade's promotional incentives can be misleading and their lack of transparency in honoring them often marginal at best. Keep in mind that to receive ST-sponsored promotions, you must purchase your warranty directly through Square Trade's website and not through Amazon. This can be a clear disadvantage because the best prices on Square Trade warranty products is consistently through Amazon. For example, ST does not offer a 5 year HDTV warranty on their own website; to get this, you must purchase it from Amazon.

6. Communicating with ST through their poor, tinny "outer-space" VOIP line contributes to frustration and not an efficient and pleasant customer experience. The "experience" equation becomes even more prominent if you are unlucky enough to get the representative whose native language is clearly not English or who does not articulate clearly.

7. In addition to their verbatim phone script, ST addresses each client by their first name which I suspect is intended as a friendly gesture. Many of us may find this practice somewhat juvenile and patronizing, particularly those who of us who graduated from kindergarten-I find that "sir" or using a last name seems to work just fine.

1. Consider if you really need these types of "warranties". Consumer Reports has consistently recommended to avoid these types of warranties because the return on investment is often not worth the price of the warranty product.

2. If you do decide to purchase a Square Trade warranty, purchase it directly from Amazon. Here's why: Amazon's partnership with ST is a revenue-enhancing conduit for delivering Square Trade's products. As such, any grievances become arbitrated and rectified quickly and efficiently by Amazon on behalf of its customers. My 9 calls to ST to try and resolve a recent issue remained unresolved until Amazon intervened to issue the accurate credit.

3. Amazon's price points for ST warranties is volatile and changes frequently, often by as much as $10-$15. I suggest placing your chosen plan in your cart and waiting a few days before purchasing since the price fluctuates rapidly. In most cases, you have 30 days from the date of purchase of your equipment to purchase the warranty so you have time to determine the price ceiling and floor for your particular warranty.

3. Request a complete copy of the terms and conditions governing your specific warranty and READ IT CAREFULLY BEFORE PURCHASING.
55 comments| 215 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 18, 2017
I bought this Warranty for a OLED 65B TV 3999.99. Called for warranty repair since the TV has about 40-50 dead pixel's in one corner.

Called Square Trade who sent my claim to be reviewed. After 2 days I received an email:

Hello Jerrad,

Thank you for contacting SquareTrade regarding your television. We reviewed your claim and determined that the issues with your television are beyond repair. At this point, we will look into replacing your television. You will receive an email with the specifications for the replacement television within 2 business days.

If you have any further questions, please give us a call at 1-877-900-7283, Monday-Saturday from 6:00AM-6PM PST.

SquareTrade TV Team

Now their contract states:
we can only provide replacement options that have comparable features and functionality to your original TV.

The 3 options they gave me to replace my 65" OLED TV with Dolby Vision were 3 Old LED Models without Dolby Vision (snap shot of the selection page attached).

These 3 models which may be refurbished range in cost from 999 - 1797.00.
Options were:
LG 65-UH615A
LG 65UJ6300
Samsung UN65MU6300

I don't see how a $3,999.00 OLED is considered comparable to a non Dolby Vision LED that cost 1/4 the price.

I would highly recommended finding another warranty service as this company will try to replace your expensive TV with an older model with no comparable features.

I am currently trying other means to get a comparable replacement from this company, but I should not have to jump through hopes to get a comparable TV.
review image
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 29, 2014
Contract does nor start until the manufacture's warranty runs out. So you are not buying a 5 year warranty, but extending the warranty to five years. The contract states when repairing, they can use any part that meets the manufacturer's specifications. That means, refurbished or after market parts and not parts manufactured by the product's manufacturer. In addition and although not specifically worded in the contract this way, any costs of repairs will be deducted from your initial purchase price, which means if a second repair is needed and they cannot fix they will reimburse you by check or gift certificate the amount of your purchase price less their outlay cost of any previous repairs. Further, if additional repairs are needed, once the total costs added together equals your purchase price, their obligation is over. Coverage does not include burn in, which is when the screen develops an image and does not cover any burns in the pixels, which if this happens will leave a brow or dark spot on the screen. If they cannot fix it on the first call, they have the option to replace the product with any product by any other manufacturer that has the same features and not the product from the manufacturer you selected to buy from initially. Finally, if they replace the product, you are responsible for mailing the defective product back to where they tell you to at your cost.
22 comments| 239 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 30, 2017
TV's panel broke with artifacts during any quick motions across television. Sent objective evidence to SquareTrade. Gave me the run-around for 2 months and finally came to the conclusion it was a "software issue" that could (would) not be covered. Their solution (which they were rather proud of) was for me to turn off a particular setting I purchased the TV for. Analogy would be purchasing a TV for 4k, the 4k doesn't work, and the solution is to turn off 4k. The sheer audacity of even suggesting this as a "solution" speaks their corrupt business model.

This warranty is a sham, plain and simple. All the top reviews are from people happy because "it was so cheap". All the negative reviews are from people who actually attempted to have a claim resolved. This company lets you purchase a warranty and then they have no realistic plans of fixing any problems for you.

It's unfortunate that this is how large businesses operate now. I would highly recommend saving your money. All that purchasing this warranty got me was 2 months of wasted time and grief.
22 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 18, 2017
I purchased this warranty and have been haggling with Square Trade since Sep 20th. There has not yet been a resolution of any kind.
Sep 20th:
When I first reported an issue, SquareTrade ran diagnostics and promptly sent me the replacement parts. They then scheduled for their preferred TV repair vendor to come install the new parts.

1st appointment: Sep 29th
On the first appointment, no one showed up, due to 'miscommunication' - as in no one told me they weren't coming.
I called SquareTrade to let them know of what had happened and they assigned another vendor to my case, promising that this venfor would come through.

2nd appointment: First week of Oct
A few days later a repairman from Vendor1 showed up and called me to ask where I was. I wasn't home, I was at work. No one had told me was coming. Infact, Square Trade had expressly told me that Vendor1 was no longer working on my case(Vendor1 denies ever having been told by SquareTrade to stop working on my case). Still, I rushed home to let him in, but by then he had called his boss and was told to go to another assignment.
I called SquareTrade and was told: We are sorry for the confusion.Please call Vendor2 to schedule next appointment.

The same week, a repairman from vendor2 was scheduled to come fix my TV. He came, but couldn't find parking(I offered to pay for his parking, at parking garage half a block away from my doorstep, but he said no) and drove away. This was the 2nd time I had had to work from home/took a half day to get my TV fixed.

3rd appointment: Oct 2nd week
Vendor2 is scheduled to come and fix my TV(again). This time the repairman calls me to say he is on his way- "30 mins away". He confirms that he has clearance for paid parking and will be reimbursed. I informed him I that i was already waiting at home and ready to help in anyway(with the unmounting of the TV). He never showed up and his office called around 5pm to let me know he won't be coming. Reason: "traffic", another day wasted at home.
Update from Square Trade: Please call Vendor2 to schedule the next appointment.

4th appointment: 10/28
This time Vendor2 is scheduled to come on a Saturday(don't have to take time off or work from home). His office has called on Fri to double check that I will indeed be there(as if I was the one who didn't show up the last time) and wiling to help with the un-mounting of the TV. I re-re-re-confirmed that I am able-bodied and will help him carry the TV. This time neither he nor the Office picked up. I wasted my whole Saturday waiting.
I made my customary call to Square Trade to complain. They asked me to show proof that I waited and called vendor2. I sent them screenshots from my phone as proof. They relent and decide to replace my TV.

TV Replacement:
The TV that needs to be replaced is a LG55EG9100(CNET rating 4/5; still the best in its size per CNET and other sites). I bought my TV in May, 2016 for $1,797+taxes& shipping. It is now valued at $1,699.00+taxes& shipping

The TV they are offering me is LG55UJ6300. It is valued at $499.97+taxes& shipping. The two shouldn't even be compared!!! My current TV model has excellent black level, color accuracy, motion resolution, bright lighting- so many superb features. When I told them this, I was told "we would not negotiate in a case where the options are not just to your liking." On the phone the guy said "it is a 55 inch TV, what more do you want?"

I am fed up of dealing with this company. I think they are trying to stretch this out for as long as they can, in the hopes that I give up and give in.

I bought this warranty on Amazon, since Amazon suggested it while I was buying the TV. I assumed(from past experience) that Amazon only suggested products that were worthwhile. That is not the case- Amazon's standards have fallen drastically. I am very disappointed by this whole experience. Lesson Learned. A time consuming, frustrating and expensive lesson!
on April 25, 2016
My Square Trade warranty paid off big time. First with a bad HDMI port, and now with a light spot on the screen. The reason I'm giving it four out of five stars is the fact that the product discretion on Amazon states, "Year one manufacturer's warranty - year two and after Square Trade" leading me and everyone I've talked to, to believe that the 4 year Square Trade protection plan doesn't kick in until after the manufacturer's one year warranty has expired. This is not the case. The customer service person from Square Trade stated that "you have double coverage for the first year" so I said, what good does that do me, response, It's there incase the manufacture rejects your claim, then we step in and fix you TV. Long story short, your getting ripped off for one year. I also contacted Amazon and asked them to restate the product description to reflect this false advertisement. They asked me to write this review and then they would take a look at it. Hope this clarifies what you really getting.
on November 20, 2017
UPDATE: Square Trade finally agreed to reimburse me the cost of the television, and they paid me the full original purchase price. I appreciate this and upgraded my review to 2 stars, but because of the hassle I don't think I'll be purchasing any future replacement plans from them.

My TV started to act up about 2 years after we purchased it. Good thing we bought the extended warranty, right?

When I first called in a claim, Squaretrade assigned a repair but left it up to me to schedule. That's okay, not great, except the repair company would not answer my calls. After several frustrating calls to Squaretrade, they figure out that repair company doesn't service my area. Finally they find someone, two weeks later, to come fix my TV. He does, it works, I was inconvenienced but not put out that much.

Two months later the TV has the exact same issue. I file a claim at Squaretrade and they schedule the exact same repair as before. I tried to ask them why they would do this if it only temporarily worked last time and all they said is "It's company protocol." Repairman comes again, remembers me, tells me he has no choice but to do the repairs they requested. He does so, even though he knows it won't fix the TV, and luckily for me the TV replicates the issue immediately after he does the repair. So he tells Squaretrade the TV is unfixable and they finally agree to replace the faulty unit.

After a full week I get information on my repair. They're willing to send me a new or refurbished TV with a value between $300 and $400. This is very much less than the $500 to $600 listed right in the total of the plan I purchased from Amazon. I don't fight this, though, because I just want a working TV. I select a lesser TV and they ship it to me. It arrives and one of the four mounting screws on the back is broken. I can't use this TV; a few days later Squaretrade agrees and sends me a return label. I send the TV back. A few days after that they tell me another one is on the way.

The second replacement TV arrives and I notice immediately a big gouge on the box. The TV has been dropped or hit with a forklift or something, and it has penetrated all the way to the screen, cracking it and making the TV 100% unusable. I have to send it back. Squaretrade agrees to expedite this service, but it's been 4 days and I still haven't gotten a return label for the TV yet. I'll update this when it's resolved, but at this point I regret getting a warranty. I'd rather spend a few hundred bucks and get a new better TV.
on March 19, 2017
I purchased a 55" Panasonic Flat Screen TV in 2015 and purchased an extra 5 year Warranty with Square Trade for a whopping $111.50 just to have a piece of mind in case anything ever went wrong with my TV. I just found out that Square Trade will not honor their Warranty. I purchased the extra Warranty with Square Trade because I heard they were reliable and trust-worthy. As I recently found out though, Square Trade is NOT trust-worthy or reliable. They took my money and then disregarded my claim when I submitted it. Stating "We can not warranty this item if it was defective after shipping" I never said this item was defective from shipping, I said I never noticed the problem until late Nov early Dec 2016.
on January 22, 2018
I would advise anyone considering purchase of a Square Trade coverage plan to think twice. After 13 months my $3998 Sony 4K TV failed. I contacted Square Trade to initiate a claim. To their credit, they promptly mailed parts to my home and initiated a request through their third party service for a technician to come to my home to do the repair. A week later the technician came to my home to do the repair. He was great, courteous, friendly and knowledgeable. Upon opening the TV he saw one board that had transistors that looked like they'd been stressed (apparently there's a coating on them that shows a "K" when there's been a power surge or other trauma), and indicated that he was suspicious that this was the problem part. 2 hours later, after replacing all other boards in the TV, but not the one he suspected (because it was not amongst the boards mailed to us), the TV still had no picture. He got on the phone with Square Trade and informed them of this, and they indicated that the TV would be replaced (rather than send another part to attempt the repair). I promptly received an email notifying me of this fact, which contained a link to the three TV options they would allow me to choose from to replace my broken Sony. I assessed the options and quickly realized that the value of these televisions ranged from $1200 - $1799, all with much lower ratings than my dead Sony.

I spoke with the Square Trade and they unapologeticaly stated that the contract indicated that they would replace the television with a television with comparable features, irregardless of price and perceived quality on reviews. When I asked simply for a check for the maximal value ($1799) of the television that they were going to replace my Sony with (so that I could go out and purchase a TV that I would be happy with, like my now broken Sony), they indicated that this was not an option. The manager I spoke with made reference to a "contract" that spelled all this out, and I'm sure it exists, but as a customer, I never saw this contract. In the email that I was sent when I purchased the plan, there was a "terms and conditions" link which spelled out several things. When I login to the Square Trade website and access my Sony TV warranty and click on the "view contract" link, I find the same exact reference, and it states several things, including the following:

The total amount that We will pay for repairs or replacement made in connection with all claims
that You make pursuant to this Protection Plan shall not exceed the Coverage Amount. In the
event that We make payments for repairs or replacements, which in the aggregate, are equal
to the Coverage Amount, or if We provide a cash settlement reflecting the replacement cost of
a new item of equal features and functionality, then We will have no further obligations under
this Protection Plan."

Based on the language above, it sounds as though I'm covered for $3998, minus any amount that they've invested in the attempted repair (which amounts to a few hundred dollars, as the parts that they ordered were to be returned), leaving well above $3500 in coverage in place.

I am fortunate that I have worked hard in life, have a great job, and can afford nice things. I realize that this "problem" of mine in the big scheme of things is no real problem at all, as I have a roof over my head, a beautiful family, and everyone is happy and healthy. I am also very lucky that I can afford to walk out the door and purchase a new TV to replace this one without it really affecting our lives adversely. So, it is really the frustration of feeling as though I've been ripped off by this warranty that bothers me. I purchased this in good faith believing that I was covered to my purchase amount, and that Square Trade would stand behind this purchase.

Now I'm sure some lawyer authored a detailed contract that clearly indicates that Square Trade is in the right in this dispute and that I'm being an unreasonable consumer making unjust claims. I'm sure that someone can dig through the bowels of the Square Trade website through the finest of fine print and locate the language that the Square Trade manager found when he was disputing my dispute, and that this someone can prove beyond any logical debate that I am in fact at fault here... I really don't give a damn. All I know is that my television still does not work and Square Trade now wants to replace it with a choice of 3 of last year's low end models.

Do yourself a favor. Read the fine print. Get on the phone and ask someone exactly what this coverage means, and pose them with some scenarios about how you might need coverage to see what they indicate would be done to cover you. If this still sounds like a good deal to you, then by all means, purchase the Square Trade protection plan. If not, then I'd let it ride.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.