Bubble Witch Saga 3 Vehicles Review HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

SquareTrade 5-Year TV Protection Plan ($500-$600)
Service plan term: 5 Years|Service plan covered value: $ 500-$600|Change
Price:$71.87+ Free shipping

on August 23, 2016
FYI, I had purchased this warranty for a TV I purchased. Approximately 3 months ago it stopped working. Contacted SquareTrade and they diagnosed over the phone the problem and set up a service appointment, then shipped parts to my house. They sent one technician to handle this heavy 55" plasma TV. They should have sent two. The tech fully inspected the TV before starting the repair to check for "incidental damage", which is not covered. The TV had just stopped working, but they checked anyway. He confirmed there was none. The tech replaced three out of the four parts because they did not send all four at the time, in error. TV was still non-functioning. He called in and said he would come back when fourth part shows up. After no update, and several emails from me to SquareTrade regarding status, I am told the part was unavailable and they would replace the TV. They would contact me with options. That same day, the "unavailable" part shows up at my house. I call them and I am told they will come to fix the TV. Again, 1 tech shows up to repair the TV. This tech re-inspects the TV and claims the screen is now internally cracked, and that they do not cover it. I was shocked since the first tech had inspected it prior and there was no crack at that time. Now mind you, the first tech was moving the TV alone on the first visit, laid it on the floor and had his legs resting on the TV while installing parts. SquareTrade has now refused the claim. After arguing with SquareTrade that "their" subcontractor must have damaged the TV, they turned it over to "their" subcontractors insurance and washed their hands of the problem. Three months of a runaround, two lost days from work, and still no resolution. SquareTrade sent these people. They should be responsible for who they send to your home. Meanwhile, I am stuck chasing "their" subcontractor. This warranty purchase was useless. I would NOT recommend purchasing. Will update if I ever get resolution.
1414 comments| 491 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 14, 2014
Square Trade has been a major player in the residential warranty arena for many years now. For some time, they have enjoyed a reputation for reasonable and attractive price points for covering your electronics, phones and other equipment as well as for their customer service. I have purchased 6 warranties from ST but there has been a clear and substantial deterioration in the quality and consistency of their repair and customer support "experience" which has now altered my assessment of the value of a Square Trade purchase for the following reasons.

PROS:

1. Market-competitive price points compared with Best Buy's Geek Squad and other competitors for large electronics, HDTV's, android and i Phones and other equipment which draw you in initially on the purchase.
2. Customer Support still in the U.S.
3. Most customer support associates are friendly and generate the perception of a friendly customer culture but often lack the training, resources or empowerment to address customer concerns.

CONS:

1. Access ALL of the terms and conditions BEFORE you purchase your warranty. If not, you are likely to be very disappointed if and when your item requires repair. Unfortunately, Square Trade is not transparent in making this information conspicuous before the purchase. ST strategically places their "Terms and Conditions" in text at the very end of the page requiring an electron microscope to read. Most of us never think of reviewing this prior to purchase but you should ALWAYS do so. Remember that the devil is always in the details and this is especially relevant with Square Trade. Their liability under the terms of the warranty is limited to the actual purchase price of your item. READ IT CAREFULLY.

2. Like all warranty companies, they remain excessively bureaucratic. Expect to spend indefinite periods of time and space waiting on the line as they "review" your inquiry or case while you age. ST thinks nothing of asking their customers to hold for 30 minutes as they educate themselves at your expense. Instead of guaranteeing a time-sensitive call-back for those issues demanding such attention, Square Trade associates challenge your patience while they search for information which should be at their fingertips.

3. On many occasions, Square Trade provides inaccurate and/or clearly incomplete information regarding your inquiry. Supervisors are often unavailable or not empowered to resolve customer issues quickly and accurately as used to be the case several years ago. Having had (and have) multiple policies and a repair claim to my credit, my experience suggests that their "Customer Service" is extremely porous with little respect for customer's time.

4. Claim Processing can be inconsistent and cumbersome and is far from a seamless, coordinated process. My repair claim resulted in having to make over six calls to ST. Not only did ST initially deny a valid laptop claim due to a poorly trained associate, but also failed to send out a shipping box as they had agreed.

5. Square Trade's promotional incentives can be misleading and their lack of transparency in honoring them often marginal at best. Keep in mind that to receive ST-sponsored promotions, you must purchase your warranty directly through Square Trade's website and not through Amazon. This can be a clear disadvantage because the best prices on Square Trade warranty products is consistently through Amazon. For example, ST does not offer a 5 year HDTV warranty on their own website; to get this, you must purchase it from Amazon.

6. Communicating with ST through their poor, tinny "outer-space" VOIP line contributes to frustration and not an efficient and pleasant customer experience. The "experience" equation becomes even more prominent if you are unlucky enough to get the representative whose native language is clearly not English or who does not articulate clearly.

7. In addition to their verbatim phone script, ST addresses each client by their first name which I suspect is intended as a friendly gesture. Many of us may find this practice somewhat juvenile and patronizing, particularly those who of us who graduated from kindergarten-I find that "sir" or using a last name seems to work just fine.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1. Consider if you really need these types of "warranties". Consumer Reports has consistently recommended to avoid these types of warranties because the return on investment is often not worth the price of the warranty product.

2. If you do decide to purchase a Square Trade warranty, purchase it directly from Amazon. Here's why: Amazon's partnership with ST is a revenue-enhancing conduit for delivering Square Trade's products. As such, any grievances become arbitrated and rectified quickly and efficiently by Amazon on behalf of its customers. My 9 calls to ST to try and resolve a recent issue remained unresolved until Amazon intervened to issue the accurate credit.

3. Amazon's price points for ST warranties is volatile and changes frequently, often by as much as $10-$15. I suggest placing your chosen plan in your cart and waiting a few days before purchasing since the price fluctuates rapidly. In most cases, you have 30 days from the date of purchase of your equipment to purchase the warranty so you have time to determine the price ceiling and floor for your particular warranty.

3. Request a complete copy of the terms and conditions governing your specific warranty and READ IT CAREFULLY BEFORE PURCHASING.
44 comments| 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 18, 2017
I bought this Warranty for a OLED 65B TV 3999.99. Called for warranty repair since the TV has about 40-50 dead pixel's in one corner.

Called Square Trade who sent my claim to be reviewed. After 2 days I received an email:

Hello Jerrad,

Thank you for contacting SquareTrade regarding your television. We reviewed your claim and determined that the issues with your television are beyond repair. At this point, we will look into replacing your television. You will receive an email with the specifications for the replacement television within 2 business days.

If you have any further questions, please give us a call at 1-877-900-7283, Monday-Saturday from 6:00AM-6PM PST.

Sincerely,
SquareTrade TV Team
-------------------------------------------

Now their contract states:
we can only provide replacement options that have comparable features and functionality to your original TV.

The 3 options they gave me to replace my 65" OLED TV with Dolby Vision were 3 Old LED Models without Dolby Vision (snap shot of the selection page attached).

These 3 models which may be refurbished range in cost from 999 - 1797.00.
Options were:
LG 65-UH615A
LG 65UJ6300
Samsung UN65MU6300

I don't see how a $3,999.00 OLED is considered comparable to a non Dolby Vision LED that cost 1/4 the price.

I would highly recommended finding another warranty service as this company will try to replace your expensive TV with an older model with no comparable features.

I am currently trying other means to get a comparable replacement from this company, but I should not have to jump through hopes to get a comparable TV.
review image
11 comment| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 29, 2014
Contract does nor start until the manufacture's warranty runs out. So you are not buying a 5 year warranty, but extending the warranty to five years. The contract states when repairing, they can use any part that meets the manufacturer's specifications. That means, refurbished or after market parts and not parts manufactured by the product's manufacturer. In addition and although not specifically worded in the contract this way, any costs of repairs will be deducted from your initial purchase price, which means if a second repair is needed and they cannot fix they will reimburse you by check or gift certificate the amount of your purchase price less their outlay cost of any previous repairs. Further, if additional repairs are needed, once the total costs added together equals your purchase price, their obligation is over. Coverage does not include burn in, which is when the screen develops an image and does not cover any burns in the pixels, which if this happens will leave a brow or dark spot on the screen. If they cannot fix it on the first call, they have the option to replace the product with any product by any other manufacturer that has the same features and not the product from the manufacturer you selected to buy from initially. Finally, if they replace the product, you are responsible for mailing the defective product back to where they tell you to at your cost.
22 comments| 236 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 30, 2017
TV's panel broke with artifacts during any quick motions across television. Sent objective evidence to SquareTrade. Gave me the run-around for 2 months and finally came to the conclusion it was a "software issue" that could (would) not be covered. Their solution (which they were rather proud of) was for me to turn off a particular setting I purchased the TV for. Analogy would be purchasing a TV for 4k, the 4k doesn't work, and the solution is to turn off 4k. The sheer audacity of even suggesting this as a "solution" speaks their corrupt business model.

This warranty is a sham, plain and simple. All the top reviews are from people happy because "it was so cheap". All the negative reviews are from people who actually attempted to have a claim resolved. This company lets you purchase a warranty and then they have no realistic plans of fixing any problems for you.

It's unfortunate that this is how large businesses operate now. I would highly recommend saving your money. All that purchasing this warranty got me was 2 months of wasted time and grief.
22 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 25, 2016
My Square Trade warranty paid off big time. First with a bad HDMI port, and now with a light spot on the screen. The reason I'm giving it four out of five stars is the fact that the product discretion on Amazon states, "Year one manufacturer's warranty - year two and after Square Trade" leading me and everyone I've talked to, to believe that the 4 year Square Trade protection plan doesn't kick in until after the manufacturer's one year warranty has expired. This is not the case. The customer service person from Square Trade stated that "you have double coverage for the first year" so I said, what good does that do me, response, It's there incase the manufacture rejects your claim, then we step in and fix you TV. Long story short, your getting ripped off for one year. I also contacted Amazon and asked them to restate the product description to reflect this false advertisement. They asked me to write this review and then they would take a look at it. Hope this clarifies what you really getting.
on January 12, 2017
So we bought an LG 65" TV back in 2014 and bought the SqureTrade extended warranty.... we have been having problems with the TV over the last 2months so we initiated a claim with SquareTrade. It was a bit frustraiting just getting the claim submitted and went through a series of suggestions by SquraeTrade to try and eliminate the issue (screen flickering). SquareTrade finally agreed to send a technician (today 1/12/17). He took one look at it and said it was going out. SquareTrade was prompt in sending us notification that they are sending a replacement but here is the rub... I paid $1299 for my TV and they are replaceing it with a $699 TV. And it's not even a current model, like 2016, the model number indicates it's a 2015 model and I'm not even getting into the deep details. Obviously it's an inferior TV, not all 1080p TVs are the same, if you have been shopping for one you will know this. Very disappointed and will not be buying a warranty policy from SquareTrade again... Costco here we come!!
22 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 22, 2018
I would advise anyone considering purchase of a Square Trade coverage plan to think twice. After 13 months my $3998 Sony 4K TV failed. I contacted Square Trade to initiate a claim. To their credit, they promptly mailed parts to my home and initiated a request through their third party service for a technician to come to my home to do the repair. A week later the technician came to my home to do the repair. He was great, courteous, friendly and knowledgeable. Upon opening the TV he saw one board that had transistors that looked like they'd been stressed (apparently there's a coating on them that shows a "K" when there's been a power surge or other trauma), and indicated that he was suspicious that this was the problem part. 2 hours later, after replacing all other boards in the TV, but not the one he suspected (because it was not amongst the boards mailed to us), the TV still had no picture. He got on the phone with Square Trade and informed them of this, and they indicated that the TV would be replaced (rather than send another part to attempt the repair). I promptly received an email notifying me of this fact, which contained a link to the three TV options they would allow me to choose from to replace my broken Sony. I assessed the options and quickly realized that the value of these televisions ranged from $1200 - $1799, all with much lower ratings than my dead Sony.

I spoke with the Square Trade and they unapologeticaly stated that the contract indicated that they would replace the television with a television with comparable features, irregardless of price and perceived quality on reviews. When I asked simply for a check for the maximal value ($1799) of the television that they were going to replace my Sony with (so that I could go out and purchase a TV that I would be happy with, like my now broken Sony), they indicated that this was not an option. The manager I spoke with made reference to a "contract" that spelled all this out, and I'm sure it exists, but as a customer, I never saw this contract. In the email that I was sent when I purchased the plan, there was a "terms and conditions" link which spelled out several things. When I login to the Square Trade website and access my Sony TV warranty and click on the "view contract" link, I find the same exact reference, and it states several things, including the following:

"LIMIT OF LIABILITY:
The total amount that We will pay for repairs or replacement made in connection with all claims
that You make pursuant to this Protection Plan shall not exceed the Coverage Amount. In the
event that We make payments for repairs or replacements, which in the aggregate, are equal
to the Coverage Amount, or if We provide a cash settlement reflecting the replacement cost of
a new item of equal features and functionality, then We will have no further obligations under
this Protection Plan."

Based on the language above, it sounds as though I'm covered for $3998, minus any amount that they've invested in the attempted repair (which amounts to a few hundred dollars, as the parts that they ordered were to be returned), leaving well above $3500 in coverage in place.

I am fortunate that I have worked hard in life, have a great job, and can afford nice things. I realize that this "problem" of mine in the big scheme of things is no real problem at all, as I have a roof over my head, a beautiful family, and everyone is happy and healthy. I am also very lucky that I can afford to walk out the door and purchase a new TV to replace this one without it really affecting our lives adversely. So, it is really the frustration of feeling as though I've been ripped off by this warranty that bothers me. I purchased this in good faith believing that I was covered to my purchase amount, and that Square Trade would stand behind this purchase.

Now I'm sure some lawyer authored a detailed contract that clearly indicates that Square Trade is in the right in this dispute and that I'm being an unreasonable consumer making unjust claims. I'm sure that someone can dig through the bowels of the Square Trade website through the finest of fine print and locate the language that the Square Trade manager found when he was disputing my dispute, and that this someone can prove beyond any logical debate that I am in fact at fault here... I really don't give a damn. All I know is that my television still does not work and Square Trade now wants to replace it with a choice of 3 of last year's low end models.

Do yourself a favor. Read the fine print. Get on the phone and ask someone exactly what this coverage means, and pose them with some scenarios about how you might need coverage to see what they indicate would be done to cover you. If this still sounds like a good deal to you, then by all means, purchase the Square Trade protection plan. If not, then I'd let it ride.
on December 10, 2017
I bought this warranty with my TV hoping I would never need to use it, but the TV picture started to flash on and off. I contacted Squaretrade and they had me do a system reset and the picture still flashed. Then they offered to replace the TV and sent me a link. The replacement TV's were larger but the brands were unfamiliar to me. I waited an hour and a name brand replacement showed on the list and it was shipped to me. It was obviously a used TV and had scratches all over. When I turned it on, there were dark horizontal lines and a spot in the upper right that looked psychedelic. I called them and complained that I didn't want to be their TV tester for any more junk and they sent me a name brand new TV. I would've given them a 5 star rating but I had to unpack and repack the 1st replacement. I'm surprised they didn't send a repair person. I found a vid on youtube that shows the problem is an ic chip with insufficient heat sync.
on December 8, 2017
3 pages of disclaimers !! You have to be a Philadelphia Lawyer to wade through it. & it duplicates Mfg warranty. Difficult to cancel. Thank you Amazon for your help. Consumer Reports warns extended warranty plans are not worth it. TV's and most other electronics last longer than ever. I consider Square Trade to be as close to fraudulent as you can get without getting their butts kicked by the FTC. If it weren't for Amazon I'd still be battling these guys for a $5 refund. It's the principle of it.